It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Crazy project on for tomorrow! 
Advanced Member

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:54 pm
Posts: 495
Location: Carnforth, Lancs
Feedback: 104 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Crazy project on for tomorrow!
Hi all,

Tomorrow I will be receiving a 22 meter Spiderbeam fibreglass mast which I plan to create a 1/2 wave 40m vertical, in my back garden! The matching unit is a 1:60 impedance transformer which will be just over 1 meter from the ground. Wire will then go straight to the top of the mast.

I’m using the antenna at the moment but in an inverted L configuration using a 12m spiderbeam. 10m vertical and 10m horizontal. The antenna performs fantastically on 40/20/15/10m and tunes up on 17/12 easily. I’m hoping having it completely vertical will be even better!

Also I plan to run up a wire up the other side of the mast for a 80m 1/4 wave (with radials obviously).

My neighbours are going to love me!

Carl.


Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:09 pm
Profile Send private message

 Crazy project on for tomorrow! 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:00 pm
Posts: 2636
Location: Isle of Wight. IO90FQ. EU-120.
Feedback: 35 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Crazy project on for tomorrow!
Good luck with the neighbours.

Mine spotted a couple of scaffolding poles, left for me by the scaffolders, bit more obvious now
that the scaffolding is down and the roof is done.
I had put them vertical strapped to my ladder brackets, old nosey asked why they had left them.
The expression on her face, when I said they were mine. I found it hard not to smile, should keep
the curtains twitching till she moves.

Phil - G7BZD


Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:40 pm
Profile Send private message

 Crazy project on for tomorrow! 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:56 pm
Posts: 1805
Location: JO01JN great wakering Essex
Feedback: 72 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Crazy project on for tomorrow!
M0CLS wrote:
Hi all,

Tomorrow I will be receiving a 22 meter Spiderbeam fibreglass mast which I plan to create a 1/2 wave 40m vertical, in my back garden! The matching unit is a 1:60 impedance transformer which will be just over 1 meter from the ground. Wire will then go straight to the top of the mast.

I’m using the antenna at the moment but in an inverted L configuration using a 12m spiderbeam. 10m vertical and 10m horizontal. The antenna performs fantastically on 40/20/15/10m and tunes up on 17/12 easily. I’m hoping having it completely vertical will be even better!

Also I plan to run up a wire up the other side of the mast for a 80m 1/4 wave (with radials obviously).

My neighbours are going to love me!

Carl.


Sounds interesting carl
Be interested in results after antenna is all vertical.
Was thinking of getting a 18m spiderbeam pole here
Good luck getting it up
Steve

_________________
when active ...mainly listening to white noise and beacons on ...

10ghz and 24ghz


Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:49 pm
Profile Send private message

 Crazy project on for tomorrow! 
Advanced Member

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:54 pm
Posts: 495
Location: Carnforth, Lancs
Feedback: 104 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Crazy project on for tomorrow!
I think the best way to getting it vertical is half erecting it first. Then walk it up and sit it on an alloy pole which itself sits in the ground, then push up each section one by one, cable tying the wires and tightening the clamps as I go. The guys will be tied loosly to position at some point and tightened later....

Then its just a case of waiting for the giant in the sky to climb down it!


Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 pm
Profile Send private message

 Crazy project on for tomorrow! 
Contributor 2019

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Posts: 3278
Location: Markyate, St Albans, IO91ST
Feedback: 8 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Crazy project on for tomorrow!
Blimey! I had enough trouble getting a 12m one up, it made me sweat a bit. It didn't stay up long because I find the doublet works better for me, I use just the 9m section to support the middle of the doublet where the feeder is.

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:31 pm
Profile Send private message

 Crazy project on for tomorrow! 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:56 pm
Posts: 1805
Location: JO01JN great wakering Essex
Feedback: 72 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Crazy project on for tomorrow!
M0CLS wrote:
I think the best way to getting it vertical is half erecting it first. Then walk it up and sit it on an alloy pole which itself sits in the ground, then push up each section one by one, cable tying the wires and tightening the clamps as I go. The guys will be tied loosly to position at some point and tightened later....

Then its just a case of waiting for the giant in the sky to climb down it!



https://youtu.be/_RrHdqwjctM

Blimey .....this looked like a accident waiting to happen

_________________
when active ...mainly listening to white noise and beacons on ...

10ghz and 24ghz


Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:50 pm
Profile Send private message

 Crazy project on for tomorrow! 
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 11613
Location: Workington, Cumbria.
Feedback: 4 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Crazy project on for tomorrow!
I think I'd rather live next door to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPQ6wR3_2HI

_________________
Chris, 'oop North.


Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:37 pm
Profile Send private message

 Crazy project on for tomorrow! 
Advanced Member

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:54 pm
Posts: 495
Location: Carnforth, Lancs
Feedback: 104 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Crazy project on for tomorrow!
G6CSL wrote:
I think I'd rather live next door to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPQ6wR3_2HI


You could throw a wire over those fins and have a nice inverted V over the house. :D :D :D


Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:31 am
Profile Send private message

 Crazy project on for tomorrow! 
Contributor 2020
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 1386
Location: Sheffield io93gi
Feedback: 87 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Crazy project on for tomorrow!
What happened? i see you have the mast up for sale.

_________________
https://www.ukantennas.co.uk/


Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:56 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gw8asd, Sangoma and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.