It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:28 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

G whip 40m resonant endfed 
Contributor 2018

Post G whip 40m resonant endfed
Not sure if anyone can help with this .
Unfortunately i have managed to destroy the matching unit using too much power.
I have managed to dissemble the unit and have found that a large capacitor is burnt out.
2 smaller capacitors look fine but it does even look like they where connected to anything ??
I intend to rebuild the unit but could do with the values and how they are connected.
Other than a wound coil round a small plastic tube the rest was covered in resin hence the mystery ,the larger capacitor had on leg connected the input side on the earth ,not sure on the other side.

Thanks.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Novice Member

Post Re: G whip 40m resonant endfed
g7pan wrote:
I have managed to dissemble the unit and have found that a large capacitor is burnt out.
2 smaller capacitors look fine but it does even look like they where connected to anything ??
I intend to rebuild the unit but could do with the values and how they are connected.
Other than a wound coil round a small plastic tube the rest was covered in resin hence the mystery ,the larger capacitor had on leg connected the input side on the earth ,not sure on the other side.

Thanks.

G Whip has answered the above direct after the email came in direct to G Whip, the G Whip design has interlectual property rights designed by G4ICD/CTS/SMC and Mil/commercial users. The design is a commercial product and therefore should not be discussed on this forum. Janet Brown OBH G Whip Antenna Products

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Contributor 2017

g4icd wrote:
g7pan wrote:

Thanks.

G Whip has answered the above direct after the email came in direct to G Whip, the G Whip design has interlectual property rights designed by G4ICD/CTS/SMC and Mil/commercial users. The design is a commercial product and therefore should not be discussed on this forum. Janet Brown OBH G Whip Antenna Products

If that's an example of your after care remind me never to by anything from GWhip.

Nemo me impune lacessit.

http://WWW.GM0ONX.CO.UK

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Contributor 2018

Latitude: 53.5789356 Longitude: -1.0028499
Accuracy: Medium - Town
Grid: IO93ln

Last edited by M3crj on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:31 pm
Profile Send private message

Contributor 2018

M3crj wrote:
GM0ONX wrote:
g4icd wrote:
g7pan wrote:

Thanks.

If that's an example of your after care remind me never to by anything from GWhip.

I thought the exact same thing, I'm currently looking for a new antenna as well, 1 less company to browse

Latitude: 53.5789356 Longitude: -1.0028499
Accuracy: Medium - Town
Grid: IO93ln

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Contributor 2018

g4icd wrote:
g7pan wrote:

Thanks.

Yes that's true but that doesn't mean that i can't find help from other sources , its not like i'm going to be manufacturing the things, i just wanted to fix it

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Contributor 2018

Seems i'm now been threatened with legal action just for discussing their antennas?????

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Contributor 2017

g7pan wrote:
g4icd wrote:
g7pan wrote:

Thanks.

Yes that's true but that doesn't mean that i can't find help from other sources , its not like i'm going to be manufacturing the things, i just wanted to fix it

Its not as if an end fed dipole is a GWhip invention. Google it and you will find loads of homebrew versions including those without counterpoises. Aerial wise there is almost nothing new, just fine tuning old established designs. I think Marconi did the original end fed.

Maybe time to be a bit more pragmatic before it gets out of hand PR wise as we have lots of potential customers on here (eg send you a couple of capacitors FOC with the values removed of course HI).

Nemo me impune lacessit.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Contributor 2017

g7pan wrote:
Seems i'm now been threatened with legal action just for discussing their antennas?????

Nemo me impune lacessit.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Contributor 2017

g7pan wrote:

On what basis?

Nemo me impune lacessit.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Novice Member

GM0ONX wrote:
g4icd wrote:
g7pan wrote:

Thanks.

.....LOL

The guy blew it up by his mega amplifier (see his website), he destroyed a 4kv doorknob cap!!!, he admits that, so why should he be helped in rebuilding it? it is a resin potted unit to protect the components and interllectual property (UNLIKE ALL OTHER BALUNS AND SIMILIAR UNITS WHICH ARE JUST JUNK). G Whip supports its products 100% read the eham feedback........

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Contributor 2017

You nearly spelled Intellectual correctly this time.!!!!

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Contributor 2017

You could do a search and see what intellectual property they actally have recorded so you don't accidently fall fowl of them.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/advance ... cale=en_EP

By comparison this is Yaesu's

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/searchR ... mit=Search

Icom

and Kenwood

Don't see anything for GWhip but it probably in an individuals name.

Nemo me impune lacessit.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Contributor 2017

g4icd wrote:
GM0ONX wrote:
g4icd wrote:
g7pan wrote:

Thanks.

.....LOL

The guy blew it up by his mega amplifier (see his website), he destroyed a 4kv doorknob cap!!!, he admits that, so why should he be helped in rebuilding it? it is a resin potted unit to protect the components and interllectual property (UNLIKE ALL OTHER BALUNS AND SIMILIAR UNITS WHICH ARE JUST JUNK). G Whip supports its products 100% read the eham feedback........

If GWhip supports 100% then presumably GWhip provides parts (at reasonable cost) even if its failure is down to operator error, you know like Yaesu, Icom MFJ, Cushcraft Etc Etc all do. To do otherwise is hardly 100% support. I would have also thought a softer worded approach in your reply was more appropriate rather than the heavy handed legal threat at first contact. Poor show, very poor show threating legal action for a question honestly asked in a technical forum.

Nemo me impune lacessit.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Contributor 2018

Never heard such tosh. There is nothing to stop you discussing how to repair your antenna no matter who made it or how many patents it has, or 'how many intellectual property rights' they think it has.
I have plenty of experience with intellectual property rights.
You are welcome to discuss with me without fear, except for the fact there is nothing special about Gwhip products. Basic antenna research on google will reveal 'all their inner secrets' or lack of them.
And if it was patented, looking up the patient would tell you exactly how its made, that's kind of the idea of a patient.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:18 pm