It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Practical Wireless SDR item July issue. 
Novice Member

Post Practical Wireless SDR item July issue.
The July issue of Practical Wireless has an article describing the use of a Red Pitaya development module as a WSPR SDR transceiver. After a little internet searching it transpires it can also be used as an oscilloscope, spectrum analyser, & VNA & has the ability to emulate HPSDR/Anan style SDR transceivers.
Using PowerSDR mRX software with the Red Pitaya the possibility of using pure signal for an ultra clean transmitted signal, makes it a very attractive proposition. To complicate matters a tx amplifier with a low drive requirement & bandpass filtering would be necessary, but the result would, I think
make it a great project. I'm thinking the Icom 7300 is losing some of it's allure, at least for me!

Oh well back to Google Graham.

Link: http://redpitaya.com/red-pitaya-as-sdr-transceiver/

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:23 pm
Profile Send private message

Contributor 2019

Post Re: Practical Wireless SDR item July issue.
Too many words and not enough facts in the texts.

With technical devices, I expect facts and figures, not a politicians speech.

May turn out to be very good, but at the price I would like to see more hard facts showing it doing things and less of just saying what it can do.
Considering the nature of it, I don't expect to have to dig and read to find out.

Reminds me of that crowd funded micro drone as it is put at the moment.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:54 am

Contributor 2019

Here's another one

https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr

Similar presentation style

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:42 am

The Red Pitaya looks an interesting piece of kit.
I've not seen the article but was looking at one a couple of days ago.
Another amateur, local to me, has been experimenting with one.
You would, obviously, need filtering and some sort of preamp on the RX side to use as a conventional radio but, for what we were discussing - a driver for transverters - a pre amp is probably not necessary.
Looks an interesting piece of kit.

Available off the shelf and, probably, best regarded as a component.
It's obvious their target market isn't amateurs so any amateur related applications are likely to come from experimentation.

Cheers

Tony

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:37 am

Intermediate Member

g4cpd wrote:
The July issue of Practical Wireless has an article describing the use of a Red Pitaya development module as a WSPR SDR transceiver. After a little internet searching it transpires it can also be used as an oscilloscope, spectrum analyser, & VNA & has the ability to emulate HPSDR/Anan style SDR transceivers.
Using PowerSDR mRX software with the Red Pitaya the possibility of using pure signal for an ultra clean transmitted signal, makes it a very attractive proposition. To complicate matters a tx amplifier with a low drive requirement & bandpass filtering would be necessary, but the result would, I think
make it a great project. I'm thinking the Icom 7300 is losing some of it's allure, at least for me!

Oh well back to Google Graham.

Link: http://redpitaya.com/red-pitaya-as-sdr-transceiver/

Hello,

I am running the RP for few weeks now. It beats any appliance (7300,etc) or expensive USRP1 clone(Anan/FDM-DUO/Flex) on
multi band WSPR receive(at least price wise). I did some testing against conventional WSPR setup (radio, interface and PC),
single channel sensitivity is the same (on my blog). I was thinking of input filtering, but ended up with simple gas filled lamp to protect the front end from static.

The only thing that seems to beat the RP multiband WSPR receiver is the K9AN setup, from his page:

Code:
RX-only rig monitors 8 bands simultaneously:
RX antennas consist of two Beverage antennas. Receiver is based on two Ettus USRP1 boards with 4 Basic RX daughterboards. The USRPs are locked to a Jackson Labs GPSDO. An 8-channel Gnuradio SSB RX records audio that is decoded by the wsprd routine from the ver 1.7 (or later) release of WSJT-X. All operation is controlled by Bash shell scripts running as cron jobs on Linux (Ubuntu 15.10).

Off course this based on the WSPR challenge page results:

http://wspr.pe1itr.com/index.php

It helps if you are good with coding and Linux, many improvements could be added. Here the Pavel's page, simple to
install image is available for download:

https://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitay ... iver-wspr/

Chris

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:35 am

Novice Member

Thanks for the comments. It seems like a viable proposition for me & I was going to order one today but am on holiday next week so have decided to order when I return.
A bit more research today convinced me of it's usefulness, the only fly in the ointment is my lack of coding skills making me reliant on tailor made s/w solutions but i will probably muddle through !!!

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi
I am also looking at this project so it would be interesting to hear how you get on .
and how it compares to the other SDR recievers out there in the same price bracket .

Ivan

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:24 am

Contributor 2018

I am interested in the Red Pitaya as a building block for an SDR transceiver, my current SDR setup is a Genesis G59 homebrew transceiver which serves me well but I am interested in trying SDR with an FPGA option.

I listen to the 1942 net on 160m and there are a couple of guys on there who operate with Red Pitaya SDR and they sound great.

There is a bit of research needed to build a complete transceiver but the RP looks to be an ideal solution for the main grunt and just needs some filtering and amplification.

I don't think it will be long before additional filter modules and amplifiers appear that will interface directly with the RP then it will be more of a plug and play project.

It is interesting that the RP has halved in price since it was released to the masses and maybe with a surge of interest from ham radio enthusiasts there will be further price reductions!

I was going to order the starter kit from RS Components this evening but its currently out of stock.

Regards

Andy de G6LBQ. :hello:

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Novice Member

Well, back from Italy now so the bullet has been bitten & my order will arrive on Tuesday I'm told, fingers crossed! Ordered via Amazon which appears to be the cheapest but free delivery is a bit slower. Power supply is coming from RS & a couple of micro SD cards from 7dayshop. Should hopefully be up & running on RX at least, on Tuesday/Wednesday. So will keep you posted...

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:27 pm

This looks like an interesting addition. https://www.sv1afn.com/ham_band_presel.html
Perhaps this as well. https://www.sv1afn.com/j310preamp.html :)

Cheers

Tony

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Novice Member

Thanks for the links Tony they look quite interesting & much tidier than the Manhattan jobs I was planning.

Cheers Graham

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:59 am

Thanks for the links , very interesting
will be keeping a eye on this thread

Ivan

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:21 am

Novice Member

Well the RP arrived today & I must say results on receive are quite impressive considering no preamp or front end filters yet. After a frantic session with some cable & sma connectors & an even more frantic time finding the SD card that I new was somewhere in what I loosely call a shack, it was up &running in no time. I'm still researching the PA & LPF options but I might give WSPR a go with the 10 Milliwatts & a home brew LPF. I noticed on the Red Pitaya website they have announced a new transceiver based on the Red Pitaya board. http://store.redpitaya.com/hamlab.html It won't win any beauty pageants but looks quite promising for the money. Cheers Graham

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:01 pm