It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:27 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

MA5B V HEXBEAM 

Post MA5B V HEXBEAM
I have the MA5B minibeam up at the moment but I am considering getting the Hexbeam.

I wonder if anyone changed to the Hexbeam after having the MA5B and how does it look in comparsion size wise and did the neighbours have anything to say ?

Thanks

G0ULN[list=][/list]

Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 pm
Profile Send private message

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Contributor 2018

Post Re: MA5B V HEXBEAM
Use the search function, what you ask has been answered many times.

Mon May 23, 2016 8:15 pm

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Contributor 2019

Oh well I have had both and I would choose the Hex 1st but I like the 5b because I can stack and have a vert on top and I can usually work what I can here but I did prefer the Hex regards performance.
Mark

Mon May 23, 2016 8:22 pm

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Advanced Member

It's just a question of aesthetics, not performance.

You are still left with the basic fact that ''Mini-beam = Mini-signal''

When I used to be active on the higher HF bands, I never met a mini-beam that could out-perform a simple balanced wire dipole or doublet at the same height.

It's just 'marketing', and how you spin the gain figures. For example; a 14MHz half-wave wire dipole at 10m above ground gives 7.45dBi of gain, or 5.35dBd.

OK ... a mini-beam has a front-to-back ratio, but frankly if I were using one I wouldn't risk turning my back on any replies :)

Mon May 23, 2016 9:37 pm

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Contributor 2018

G6CSL wrote:

When I used to be active on the higher HF bands, I never met a mini-beam that could out-perform a simple balanced wire dipole or doublet at the same height.

It's just 'marketing', and how you spin the gain figures. For example; a 14MHz half-wave wire dipole at 10m above ground gives 7.45dBi of gain, or 5.35dBd.

OK ... a mini-beam has a front-to-back ratio, but frankly if I were using one I wouldn't risk turning my back on any replies :)

The MA5B minibeam whilst covering 5 bands and some of which having a front to back has only a single element trapped & capacity hat loaded for 12m & 17m but I agree, the question focuses on aesthetics and if he uses the search function as suggested there's no shortage of posts in the archives comparing those two antennas.
search.php?keywords=hexbeam+v+ma5b&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Mon May 23, 2016 10:21 pm

MA5B V HEXBEAM 

Thank you for all the positive replies it is appreciated.

I have the MA5B up in the air but of late I have convinced myself that the beam is deaf.

Are the bands really that poor at the minute

Thanks

G0ULN

Tue May 24, 2016 4:11 pm

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Advanced Member

G6CSL wrote:

I must stress that the Hexbeam is not strictly a mini beam as it uses a half-wave sized director and reflector without traps or capacity loading the elements, as is the case with the MA5B and the front to back as well as the directivity is quite noticeable when raised to an applicable height, I would treat it as a reduced space beam but with no major detrimental compromises made. Yes I may be biased as I own and use one but to be honest they work a treat, I must stress they are not that small either. :good:

Tue May 24, 2016 5:36 pm

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Contributor 2019

I've had both as said above and regards comparing the Ma against a dipole still the Ma comes out on top, for one your 50watts or whatever can at least have some direction regards where you want to send your signal.
Hey if I had the space their would be monoband beams up here, don't write off mini beams guys and if I had to choose between a half wave dipole or my ma5b for whatever bands it covers ha ha you can throw the dipole in the bin for me I have done the tests here over a few years.
I use a OCF dipole in conjunction here as my space is limited in concrete jungle, that's why people use mini beams space you can't have everything unless your in a field.
Saying that Hex beam for performance man that was a great antenna, I would like a spider beam but again the booms freaking long :lol:
Mark

Tue May 24, 2016 9:07 pm

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Advanced Member

Probably more a case of 'not sending a signal where you don't want it'.

A mini-beam is not the same animal as a full-spread Yagi, and Front-to-Back ratio is not 'gain'. It is just 'turning a deaf ear' to a particular bearing.

Mini-beams are mainly designed to make your SWR meter happy. But so does a 50 Ohm resistor.

Dont forgat that if you use the same 'method' as a mini-beam salesman, then a dipole gives 5.35 dBd gain over a dipole :)

And when he says that - on the single-element bands - it gives 0.0dBd gain, then he is telling the truth because he is claiming no positive gain. He doesn't have to mention that it is several dB DOWN on a dipole.

Tue May 24, 2016 9:39 pm

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Contributor 2019

G6CSL wrote:
Probably more a case of 'not sending a signal where you don't want it'.

A mini-beam is not the same animal as a full-spread Yagi, and Front-to-Back ratio is not 'gain'. It is just 'turning a deaf ear' to a particular bearing.

Mini-beams are mainly designed to make your SWR meter happy. But so does a 50 Ohm resistor.

Dont forgat that if you use the same 'method' as a mini-beam salesman, then a dipole gives 5.35 dBd gain over a dipole :)

And when he says that - on the single-element bands - it gives 0.0dBd gain, then he is telling the truth because he is claiming no positive gain. He doesn't have to mention that it is several dB DOWN on a dipole.

Yes Chris salesmen and turning a deaf ear mate, mini beams are here to stay sorry :lol:

Tue May 24, 2016 10:17 pm

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Advanced Member

G0ULN wrote:

I have the MA5B up in the air but of late I have convinced myself that the beam is deaf.

Thanks

G0ULN

Yes the bands are fairly grim at the moment, a hexbeam won't enliven them a great deal vs an MA5B. However for performance of the two rather than aesthetics, a hexbeam will outperform an MA5B on all but 10m. In my local area there are a number of MA5B's and Hexbeam users, and we're often all in the same melee for dx. The hexbeam users invariably get heard before the MA5B users.

In the reverse situation hexbeam users in VK/ZL/W seem stronger signals than MA5B using counterparts.

Wed May 25, 2016 8:50 am

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Contributor 2018

M0TTB wrote:
G0ULN wrote:

Thanks

G0ULN

Yes the bands are fairly grim at the moment, a hexbeam won't enliven them a great deal vs an MA5B. However for performance of the two rather than aesthetics, a hexbeam will outperform an MA5B on all but 10m. In my local area there are a number of MA5B's and Hexbeam users, and we're often all in the same melee for dx. The hexbeam users invariably get heard before the MA5B users.

In the reverse situation hexbeam users in VK/ZL/W seem stronger signals than MA5B using counterparts.

As the Hexbeam can handle a hell of a lot more power than an MA5B some of that may be down to Hexbeam users having bigger amplifiers. :D

Wed May 25, 2016 9:08 am

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Advanced Member

ei9ju wrote:

As the Hexbeam can handle a hell of a lot more power than an MA5B some of that may be down to Hexbeam users having bigger amplifiers. :D

Maybe. probably not when you balance it all out over the years. You work plenty, what's your honest take on receiving hexbeam users around the world vs other mini beams?

Wed May 25, 2016 9:21 am

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Advanced Member

Also, it's unfair to call a Hexbeam a mini-beam really.

Its elements are full-size, with no traps, loading or cap-hats.

Wed May 25, 2016 9:23 am

MA5B V HEXBEAM 
Advanced Member

G6CSL wrote:
Also, it's unfair to call a Hexbeam a mini-beam really.

Its elements are full-size, with no traps, loading or cap-hats.

Ah right, did wonder if you were lumping the hexbeam in the 'mini beam' category in this thread.

Wed May 25, 2016 9:25 am