It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:37 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Windows 10 Latest Update Issues on Flex 6000 Series 
Advanced Member

Post Windows 10 Latest Update Issues on Flex 6000 Series
Hi people

Just thought I would post this as a warning.
My computer recently automatically updated the latest release of Windows 10 (Threshold 2)
This completely screwed up my connected programs to Smartsdr 1.5.1. The DAX Drivers disappeared and I could not connect the Smartsdr Cat to my data or logging programs (FLDIGI & WINLOG 32) despite numerous attempts.

I also got continual Graphic Failures when using the GUI. That had never happened before this abysmal update.

It took me hours to sort it all out. I just couldn't get anything to work with the PC in its "updated"??? State.

I eventually managed to restore to a previous build along with uninstalling/reinstalling all software and doing a reset on the Flex 6300 itself.

If I can save anyone from going through all this hassle then I will be happy. The update is a total pile of crap! :banghead:

Best 73
Nick G0HFL

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:48 pm
Profile Send private message

BANNED

Post Re: Windows 10 Latest Update Issues on Flex 6000 Series
I just uninstalled SmartSDR including DAX drivers and reinstalled it. Flex are blaming Windows 10 yet theirs is the only in a long list of software installed on my computer which has an issue. Hopefully when they release ver 1.6 it has better Windows 10 compatibility.

The graphics failures are down to a problem with the graphics card drivers from Intel if you're using Intel graphics. I get it on mine and its a widely known issue. I've got an old nVidia card kicking about which I put in to test and the issue went away. That needs a new fan which is why its not currently in fulltime use so I'm going to put that in at some point.

Unfortunately this kind of thing is what you have to expect in what is an "experimental" sector of amateur radio. Pretty much anyone using SDR from a £10 RTL-SDR dongle to a £6999 Flex 6700 is effectively a beta tester. For me its what makes it more interesting as everything is always in a constant state of change even though sometimes it can be a bit frustrating.

TS480SAT, TM-D710, Little Tarheel II
io94SA

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Advanced Member

M0GVZ wrote:
I just uninstalled SmartSDR including DAX drivers and reinstalled it. Flex are blaming Windows 10 yet theirs is the only in a long list of software installed on my computer which has an issue. Hopefully when they release ver 1.6 it has better Windows 10 compatibility.

The graphics failures are down to a problem with the graphics card drivers from Intel if you're using Intel graphics. I get it on mine and its a widely known issue. I've got an old nVidia card kicking about which I put in to test and the issue went away. That needs a new fan which is why its not currently in fulltime use so I'm going to put that in at some point.

Unfortunately this kind of thing is what you have to expect in what is an "experimental" sector of amateur radio. Pretty much anyone using SDR from a £10 RTL-SDR dongle to a £6999 Flex 6700 is effectively a beta tester. For me its what makes it more interesting as everything is always in a constant state of change even though sometimes it can be a bit frustrating.

I fully agree with you. It does make it interesting but frustrating at the same time. All sorted now and working as before. :clapping:

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Advanced Member

Sorry to disagree Connor but Windows updates are notoriuos, and have been for at least 15 years, for breaking a working installation of Windows.

Before I retired I ran a PC business and I made more money out of fixing broken computers after a Microsoft update than anything else.

I never accept updates from Microsoft until they come as a service pack and even then I test them before installing on my main computer.

Tim

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:53 am

Contributor 2019

I have SmartSDR 1.6.17. Am I likely to have this problem or does it only affect the earlier versions? Anybody know? I'd rather be prepared not to update Windows 10!

David G4NRT

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:21 pm

Advanced Member

No way of knowing - that's the main problem with Windows updates, until you try it, no one can predict what, if anything is going to be affected.

I you do want to update, at the very least, set a restore point before you do it, at least then, you may have a way back if it breaks. The alternative that many people say has worked for them is to completely uninstall the Flex software, do the update and then reinstall it.

As far as I am concerned, Windows 7 64bit pro will be on all my computers (except for one still running XP) for a very long time to come.

HTH

Tim

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:40 pm

Contributor 2019

Windows 10 is somewhat limiting to use with most SDR systems, what with all the live versions of things that run now causing DPC issues.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:04 pm

Novice Member

Did the upgrade from W8 to W10 no problems worked perfectly, mind you the laptop is only 1 month old.

The only thing I did was to remove SSDR prior to the upgrade as suggested by FRS

Installed SSDR again and all working great. :)

Flex 6.7k, FT857D, FT817, FT2D, SPE1.3, Gemini 1.2VHF, plus a few others.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Contributor 2019

I have updated W10 on a number of computers and everything has worked fine on my FRS 6500.

I have just bought a Microsoft Surface Book and can re[port that SSDR works very well on that also ...

David G4NRT

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:19 pm

Contributor 2019

You will not find major issues with the 6000+ series as they are mostly self contained as in they do not need a PC to do the number crunching where as the SDR systems that I have used in the past some of which were receive only that rely on the PC for the brain power so to speak have some issues with Windows 10 itself as the DPC increased quite noticeably with Win10, even if running a high specification system. Mind you I am very picky and strive for the best and to be honest it never caused that much of an issue whilst operating, but nonetheless I noticed the issues.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Advanced Member

Pleased you guys had no issues.
Maybe something went wrong during this automatic update? However, I did lose my abilty to open the Email and Ebay Apps. This was also a reported issue by others on various forums. Just unlucky I guess.

Despite this, I have never enjoyed radio more than now using the Flex 6300. Love the performance and the ease at which you can easily interface it to all sorts of 3rd party programs. :D

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:15 pm

Contributor 2019

G0HFL wrote:
Love the performance and the ease at which you can easily interface it to all sorts of 3rd party programs. :D

Me too! I have a FlexRadio 6500 and love that I can run CW Skimmer, two instances of WSJT-X and one of DM780 all at the same time!

In my opinion it is a brilliant bit of kit, I think that the fact that FRS make both the hardware and the software is what sets it so far apart from the competition - where I think that most of the software is third party / open source. I am glad that I sold my ELAD SDR and bought this one!

Once my Maestro arrives the whole thing will be perfect!

David G4NRT

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:41 pm