It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

CDR ham4 rotator cable help please 
Novice Member

Post CDR ham4 rotator cable help please
Hi

I am trying to find supplier for 8 core cable of the wires have to be larger diameter.

Help please
Paul

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:03 am
Profile Send private message

Contributor 2019

Post Re: CDR ham4 rotator cable help please
I have bought this stuff by the metre before, when I needed 8 core, there may well be cheaper suppliers, I am sure there will be with a good search, Google 8 core trailer cable.
Its not cheap here at £6.95 a metre.
But its stood the test of time for what I have used it for.
http://www.htsspares.com/ProductGrp/8-c ... iler-cable

As I thought, these do same stuff, 7 @ 0.65 metres, plus one @ 1.5 metres, used for road temporary lighting, amonst other uses, at £1.93 a metre.
http://www.towingandtrailers.com/traile ... cable.html
Failing any of this, and if you prefer screened, electrical wholesalers will do 8 core pvc metal braided, in sizes such as 0.75 mm, 1.5 mm etc.
One problem with a lot of that stuff, it tends to be 7 black cores with a green and yellow earth core, with printed cable numbers on the 7 cores.
The trailer stuff is visualy more easily identifiable as to which core is which.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:19 am

Contributor 2019

I have the Ham 4 rotator as well and i bought my 8 core cable from Nevada, not the cheapest but at 10mm thick it's a very good quality cable. I also fitted a cinch jones 8 pin male/female connection so i can easily release the cable from the control unit in case of an electrical storm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Cable-8- ... RTM2063723

Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:33 pm

Contributor 2019

MW3FLI wrote:
I have the Ham 4 rotator as well and i bought my 8 core cable from Nevada, not the cheapest but at 10mm thick it's a very good quality cable. I also fitted a cinch jones 8 pin male/female connection so i can easily release the cable from the control unit in case of an electrical storm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Cable-8- ... RTM2063723

I make that £1.65 a metre, and looks identical to the stuff I found at £6.95, and then, £1.93 a metre, in other words 7 cores @ 0.65mm, and 1 core @ 1.5mm.
I am sure with an in depth take your time search, an even lower price/supplier could be found!
Its standard 8-core trailer cable, you just need to find the cheapest, and/or fastest supplier, for you timescale of neccessity.
BTW for the actual turning current drawn, even an inline socket and plug of the 8 pin mic variety would suffice for quick disconnection at controller end.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:42 pm

Contributor 2019

W H Westlake down in Devon can supply up to 8-core heavy duty rotator cable, maybe not the cheapest but good quality and never had a problem with any order.
Just do a Google search on him, his site has downloadable price lists. I think the rotator cable is in the coax and wire products.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:13 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Novice Member

Hi All

Thanks for the replies and help, i really apreciate it.

The problem i have is in the manual it says
Gauge for Terminals 1 & 2 #18 (1.19 mm) Terminals 3-8 #20 (.97 mm)

So does this not really matter?. Will any 8 core do?

Thanks again.

Paul

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Contributor 2019

From memory (years since I had a Ham IV), 1 and 2 are the motor common supply and the brake solenoid feed, these take a bit more current than the other connections hence the requirement for larger csa of cable - larger csa = lower volts drop.

They specify the size of conductor for a given length of cable used in the installation to ensure correct operation. I believe its 25mtr but really not sure without seeing the manual again. Obviously if it's just a short run you have then you could get away with a smaller cable as the volts drop will be lower.

I'm sure Westlake or Nevada would tell you the conductor sizes if you dropped them an Email question.

Similarly, If you had access to a cable with more than eight conductors of smaller csa then simply pair up conductors to increase the resultant csa

I remember when I was a student and using a Ham IV first I used three parallel runs of 1.25mm 3-core Flex as it was lying around in my Dad's shed - gave me nine conductors and worked fine :thumbsup:

Just had to double check the connections 1 to 1 etc as the colours were used three fold ;) (would have probably got away with 1mm flex as well due to the length of the run I had)

Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:38 pm
Profile Send private message WWW