It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:07 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Elad FDM-DUO 
Contributor 2018
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Posts: 14215
Location: io65ga, Donegal
Feedback: 8 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Elad FDM-DUO
Is anybody using one?
This is getting closer to the type of SDR I think I'd feel comfortable using. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJJezIVZ9wg

_________________
Even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.


Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:10 am
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Contributor 2018
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 2618
Location: Kildare IO63MD
Feedback: 22 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
what about one of these Gerry

almost like owning an Icom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfvVUw0774

_________________
Trevor
EI2GLB
QRZ+LOG WX


Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:41 am
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Contributor 2018
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Posts: 14215
Location: io65ga, Donegal
Feedback: 8 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
ei2glb wrote:
what about one of these Gerry

almost like owning an Icom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfvVUw0774



So it has didgy finals then. :)

_________________
Even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.


Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:12 am
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 14605
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out there's a review in Radcom. :scratch:
My only comment, after a quick scan through, is it's seemingly limited visible bandwidth.
For my applications 500khz is the absolute minimum.

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:15 pm
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Contributor 2018
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Posts: 14215
Location: io65ga, Donegal
Feedback: 8 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
gw8asd wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out there's a review in Radcom. :scratch:
My only comment, after a quick scan through, is it's seemingly limited visible bandwidth.
For my applications 500khz is the absolute minimum.

Cheers

Tony


I tend to take RadCom reviews with a pinch of snuff given i've never seen one critical of anything....even the CB gear doctored by Cobraworxshopz got the thubhs up :rotfl:

_________________
Even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.


Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:36 pm
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 14605
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
ei9ju wrote:
gw8asd wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out there's a review in Radcom. :scratch:
My only comment, after a quick scan through, is it's seemingly limited visible bandwidth.
For my applications 500khz is the absolute minimum.

Cheers

Tony


I tend to take RadCom reviews with a pinch of snuff given i've never seen one critical of anything....even the CB gear doctored by Cobraworxshopz got the thubhs up :rotfl:

In the absence of anything else, it's a good starting point.
I tend to take the non-technical reviews, like this one, as an over view.
Useful, and probably more informed that many amateurs could produce in a similar amount of time, but not as meaningful as the full tech breakdown.

I draw my conclusions from the information given, not the conclusions paragraph.

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:47 pm
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Advanced Member

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:27 pm
Posts: 916
Location: Nr Gloucester IO81VR
Feedback: 28 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
Just taken delivery of an FDM-Duo.....
still finding my way around it....so far looks promising

Roger G0IUW


Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:20 pm
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Advanced Member

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:28 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Keighley IO93AU
Feedback: 23 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
what sort of cost are they ?

Simon

_________________
M1BVX
2E1FON


Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:29 pm
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:04 pm
Posts: 6352
Location: Driffield, East Yorks IO94SA
Feedback: 33 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
£900 give or take change.

_________________
Conor, M0GVZ

TS480SAT, TM-D710, Little Tarheel II
io94SA


Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:39 pm
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 am
Posts: 1962
Location: Banbury Oxfordshire
Feedback: 14 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
:hello: They cost slightly less if you buy one from Italy Connor but by the time you add up the costs of postage etc its probably just a saving of £20 or so!

I just wish I had that kind of money to spend on my hobby.

:lol: Ham radio on a small budget thats me unfortunately .

It is a great transceiver no arguments there

_________________
A proud member of the GQRP club


Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:14 pm
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:04 pm
Posts: 6352
Location: Driffield, East Yorks IO94SA
Feedback: 33 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
Having thrown the cheque book at the hobby, albeit nowhere near as much as some, I can categorically state I enjoyed it far more when I was running with nothing more than a £400 second hand TS480 and bits of wire I made antennas out of.

_________________
Conor, M0GVZ

TS480SAT, TM-D710, Little Tarheel II
io94SA


Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:46 pm
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Novice Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 pm
Posts: 30
Location: Cyprus
Feedback: 0 (0%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
My friend here on Cyprus island has just had one delivered to him. He doesn't take for granted the figures show in emporium adverts. At present he's mildly enthusiastic BUT queries why the RadCom review totally failed to mention the "strange" meter display along with the total lack of AGC control not mentioned in that said review or the supplied manual, he discovered how to reduce the AGC setting from the pointless factory setting of 4 to a sensible setting at 1 only by pushing the various buttons and then came across the option to alter the AGC. I've received three quite involved emails from him with his first tests. He's written to the manufacturer asking for explanations to the strange way this rig has been designed and set up.
I'm hoping to be allowed to forward his emails to this site for your perusal but I will wait for the reply from Elad to him and their explanations and of course his agreement for me to pass on his in depth analysis of this interesting radio. His tests aren't for the faint hearted I must say. I'll not print his call sign as yet in case he's inundated with questions and other requested until the various replies and his in depth tests are complete.
Please watch this place for more info as and when I'm given the ok and I assume this site has no issues with me doing this.
73, Richard.

_________________
I MAY NOT HAVE GONE WHERE I INTENDED TO GO BUT I THINK I'VE ENDED UP WHERE I NEEDED TO BE!


Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 am
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Contributor 2018

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:14 am
Posts: 1847
Location: DERBYSHIRE
Feedback: 93 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
5B4AJG wrote:
My friend here on Cyprus island has just had one delivered to him. He doesn't take for granted the figures show in emporium adverts. At present he's mildly enthusiastic BUT queries why the RadCom review totally failed to mention the "strange" meter display along with the total lack of AGC control not mentioned in that said review or the supplied manual, he discovered how to reduce the AGC setting from the pointless factory setting of 4 to a sensible setting at 1 only by pushing the various buttons and then came across the option to alter the AGC. I've received three quite involved emails from him with his first tests. He's written to the manufacturer asking for explanations to the strange way this rig has been designed and set up.
I'm hoping to be allowed to forward his emails to this site for your perusal but I will wait for the reply from Elad to him and their explanations and of course his agreement for me to pass on his in depth analysis of this interesting radio. His tests aren't for the faint hearted I must say. I'll not print his call sign as yet in case he's inundated with questions and other requested until the various replies and his in depth tests are complete.
Please watch this place for more info as and when I'm given the ok and I assume this site has no issues with me doing this.
73, Richard.

Hello
I joined the YAHOO user group,if you not to sure about the setting the lads on the group are quite good with any queries.Very pleased with mine when you learn how to drive the radio you will get good results.
Regards
steve

_________________
GOT ME UNDER PRESSURE


Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:03 am
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Novice Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 pm
Posts: 30
Location: Cyprus
Feedback: 0 (0%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
Hi Steve, I should have pointed out the first set of test are only in the stand alone mode. Further in depth scientific tests are yet to start using the Duo via a computer.

73, Richard.

_________________
I MAY NOT HAVE GONE WHERE I INTENDED TO GO BUT I THINK I'VE ENDED UP WHERE I NEEDED TO BE!


Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:28 am
Profile Send private message

 Elad FDM-DUO 
Contributor 2018
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 17133
Location: Shropshire UK IO82TN
Feedback: 5 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elad FDM-DUO
M0GVZ wrote:
Having thrown the cheque book at the hobby, albeit nowhere near as much as some, I can categorically state I enjoyed it far more when I was running with nothing more than a £400 second hand TS480 and bits of wire I made antennas out of.

The realisation that pounds don't always equate to satisfaction does dawn on some amateurs from time to time! :D
I remember spending my whole redundancy money some years ago, on a full Drake TR7 line up, all filters, external everything and the kitchen sink to go, you name it, sold the lot some 10 years later, and now use quite basic unsophisticated stuff I have owned for 35 plus years in general!
Lost lots on it of course, but got a good chunk back, and for what I do these days, my "tinker and keep running" ancient jobbies do just fine!
The odd front end mod here and there thrown in, and constant running maintenance, which satisfies my tinkering side!
The only "new" radio in the shack being an 817, and thats a few years old now, and only cost just under £200 from a local second hand sale!
The days are gone I am willing to spend more on it than the rest of lifes essentials! ;)
Strangely the general day to day "run of the mill" crap, highlighted by occasional "make me smile" high spots, have not changed one bit over the years, whatever investment I have had in it! :)

_________________
Dave G0BHD.
Been there and got the T shirt, sadly like the T shirt the memory of it has long since faded, gone rather tatty, and finally been consigned to the bin!


Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:38 pm
Profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.