It is currently Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:35 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

UKAC Rule change 
Contributor 2021

Post UKAC Rule change
Over the past few years the UKAC has become very popular , they have now change the scoring rules giving stations outside the uk a multiplier . This is biased to the southern sighted station , that can work Eu stations far easier than stations up North . It is no longer a level playing field . If they can only win by changing the rules it aint worth bother with .

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:05 pm
Profile Send private message

UKAC Rule change 

Post Re: UKAC Rule change
4kct wrote:
Over the past few years the UKAC has become very popular , they have now change the scoring rules giving stations outside the uk a multiplier . This is biased to the southern sighted station , that can work Eu stations far easier than stations up North . It is no longer a level playing field . If they can only win by changing the rules it aint worth bother with .

Look out for a Northern Contest Shield, or whatever. :D
I'll just try and beat them at their own game as I always think of a contest as trying to better oneself, rather than beating anyone else.
Although, I might miss some next year, to give the XYL some more away days, after 5 years with no say. :D

Package posted today, hope you can bend it straight! :shock:

Cheers

Tony

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:33 pm

UKAC Rule change 
Contributor 2020

4kct wrote:

Have they not just resorted back to the way it was several years ago?
I remember used to being a multiplier then that ceased but judging by your remark i'm going to become one again.
I did get in touch with the UKAC contest committee a while back suggesting opening up mult scoring to encompass the British Isles thus incorporating Ei, the only country the UK's shares a land border with.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:41 pm

UKAC Rule change 

:)
Shares a land border, is an interesting consideration.
Considering most to the UK population is closer to F, PA, DL, ON, OZ?

My, simplistic, view has always been it's a UK contest so it should be UK squares.

No set of rules is going to satisfy anyone, it's impossible for the Contest Committee to satisfy everyone, or even close to everyone.

So, at some point, they will have to judge what produces the greatest activity, rather than a level playing field.

Or will they? :D

Cheers

Tony

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:54 pm

UKAC Rule change 
Advanced Member

Scrap multipliers and do point/km.

Surely that is a fairer system and means the more you work, the further away, the more points you get and doesn't matter what square you or they are in?

We live on an island where the number of squares that are likely to be worked is going to depend on what part of the country you live in.

I not really bother what happens as long as the activity remains and the fun is still there each week.

Anthony

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:08 pm

UKAC Rule change 
Contributor 2020

gw8asd wrote:

Cheers

Tony

If number of contacts regardless of where they originate is the goal then do away with mults entirely and focus only on mileage?

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:32 pm

UKAC Rule change 
Advanced Member

The problem with that has always been the east coast stations then just stick the beam east.

There are a lot of DLs out there most of whom are 400kms or so from Essex,Suffolk,Kent and Norfolk.

If it was points per KM then the GMs and EIs will miss out because stations in the above counties would rather stick the antenna to the east and work piles of DLs than stick it North or North West to work a few GMs.

I know cos Ive been guilty of it during contests when I have operated from JO01. :blush:

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:55 am

UKAC Rule change 
Contributor 2021

g4rra

: UKAC Rule change
The problem with that has always been the east coast stations then just stick the beam east.

There are a lot of DLs out there most of whom are 400kms or so from Essex,Suffolk,Kent and Norfolk.

If it was points per KM then the GMs and EIs will miss out because stations in the above counties would rather stick the antenna to the east and work piles of DLs than stick it North or North West to work a few GMs.

I know cos Ive been guilty of it during contests when I have operated from JO01.

That is spot on Paul , problem is the contest committee are full aware of what they are doing .
Ive spent the last year building up stations for portable work on 70mc/s , 70cms , 23cms and 13cms , looks like i have wasted my time .
On a Tuesday night on 70cms we can work 40 stations in IO93 square , all a southern station has to do , is work one station to get the times two multiplier then swing the beam east and not give the rest of IO93 points . We wont be sitting on a hill top in the pouring rain next year in IO93/94 hoping its us the southern station gives the point to . Shame we quite enjoyed it . regards barry

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:35 am

UKAC Rule change 

ei9ju wrote:
gw8asd wrote:

Cheers

Tony

If number of contacts regardless of where they originate is the goal then do away with mults entirely and focus only on mileage?

That's not the goal.
The whole point of the UKACs is supposed to be to encourage UK stations to operate on the higher bands.
Hence the encouragement to work UK squares.
It's worked very well, over the last few years, as looking at the results will confirm.

Cheers

Tony

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:03 am

UKAC Rule change 
Contributor 2020

gw8asd wrote:
ei9ju wrote:
gw8asd wrote:

Cheers

Tony

That's not the goal.
The whole point of the UKACs is supposed to be to encourage UK stations to operate on the higher bands.
It's worked very well, over the last few years, as looking at the results will confirm.

Cheers

Tony

Then why change it?

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:07 am

UKAC Rule change 
Contributor 2020

ei9ju wrote:
gw8asd wrote:
ei9ju wrote:
gw8asd wrote:

Cheers

Tony

That's not the goal.

Cheers

Tony

Then why change it?

What's your own position in this because I've offered a suggestion to keep antennas focused primarily within the british isles which offered roughly the same opportunity for distance points within the UK with the added bonus of a Mult into an Ei square but you appear to indicate UK activity would be better served working into the more densely populated and closer F, PA, DL, ON, OZ....but surely doing so would be to the detriment of the more northerly stations this UKAC is supposed to attract?
As Barry says, a couple of really distant contacts into Europe as a Mult would create almost an insurmountable lead for UK stations much further away from those more densely populated EU Mults.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:37 am

UKAC Rule change 
Advanced Member

oh great, even more southern softies pointing south.. way to go darwin

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:29 am

UKAC Rule change 

ei9ju wrote:
ei9ju wrote:

Then why change it?

What's your own position in this because I've offered a suggestion to keep antennas focused primarily within the british isles which offered roughly the same opportunity for distance points within the UK with the added bonus of a Mult into an Ei square but you appear to indicate UK activity would be better served working into the more densely populated and closer F, PA, DL, ON, OZ....but surely doing so would be to the detriment of the more northerly stations this UKAC is supposed to attract?
As Barry says, a couple of really distant contacts into Europe as a Mult would create almost an insurmountable lead for UK stations much further away from those more densely populated EU Mults.

I waited until after the Contest Forum, before replying.
Apparently, there were just over 100 responses to the contest white paper.
A rather disappointing turn out but not surprising in these days of complain, but do nothing.
There was no overall bias towards any of the options, and no alternative suggestions that came out on top either.
The IARU Conference, that has just finished, included changes in the rules for contests which the M5 rule would have, apparently, definitely contravened.
It's thought the M7 option will be acceptable.
So that's it.

It makes little difference to me as my reasons for contesting are simple.
They are a way of seeing if station changes are of any benefit, and a way to challenge myself, rather than trying to beat anyone else.
Interestingly, I did win the 23cm UKAC a few times, prior to the M5 rule.
I'm finding it much more difficult now.
Is that the rules, or activity levels, or do I have a system problem?

I'm sure many have strong views but, unless they make them known it's to no avail.

There were many other aspects discussed, with some rule changes, some remaining the same.
Some white paper topics did, apparently, produce majority preferences.
Since much of that related to HF it meant little to me.

The White Paper method of consultation is going to continue, as a means of discussing rule changes, etc.
Simply put, I have no sympathy for those who complain but can't be bothered to give an input.
You might not get what you want but, the larger the input the larger the number of happy people.
External influences (IARU etc.) excluded. :)

Cheers

Tony

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:32 am

UKAC Rule change 

m6srz wrote:
oh great, even more southern softies pointing south.. way to go darwin

Did you respond to the White Paper?

I was surprised that you didn't bother to collect the Foundation Shield you won. :scratch:

Cheers

Tony

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:40 am

UKAC Rule change 
Contributor 2021

Did you respond to the White Paper?
I did Tony , because some southern stations were pushing for the EU multiplier , which they now have . Are they going the change the contest title to EuAC because that what it has now become , for the southern stations at least . Northern activity will drop off over the following year . They can dress it up how they like but it,s discrimination against northern stations .At least one good thing has come out of it , the estate car can now fit in the garage as a pile of antenna,s has just gone to the scrap yard . regards barry

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm