It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:00 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Just Started Learning Morse 
Novice Member

Post Just Started Learning Morse
Just thought that I would let you expert cw operators know that I finally started learning morse just doing 10 to 15 minds a day so far and took delivery of a morse key today. If any one is interested I will keep you updated how I get on.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:40 pm
Profile Send private message

Advanced Member

Post Re: Just Started Learning Morse
G1KXX wrote:
Just thought that I would let you expert cw operators know that I finally started learning morse just doing 10 to 15 minds a day so far and took delivery of a morse key today. If any one is interested I will keep you updated how I get on.

OK, so I'm NOT an "expert CW operator", but thought I would reply to your thread anyhoo :D

Good one for having a go at the old code! But don't be tempted to play with your new key until you can read letters/numbers etc with reasonable accuracy BEFORE you start to send.

It's very easy to slip in to bad sending habits when first starting out, and they tend to take a whole lot longer to correct once ingrained in your mind.

OK on the 10-15 minutes a day, that's fine. What can help a lot early on is to translate what you see in to Morse (car registration plates, door numbers, labels on food tins etc), it all helps to get those 'tunes' to stick in your mind.

A good motivational boost is to listen on air each day if you can (you don't even need an HF set these days, you can use one of the many web SDR on the net), because even if you can only pick out one letter in five or ten at first you find it makes you 'hungry' to learn more and find out what the stations are saying.

Also, even one letter in five is still 100% better than someone who knows no code at all :D

I wonder what Morse Key you decided to buy? (I collect keys so I'm always interested to talk about them).

And do keep us updated about your progress, as again telling others will keep you motivated to learn more.

73, Mark (non-expert, non-speed merchant) :hello:

https://forum.brasspounder.net

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:46 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Advanced Member

Yup, keep practicing and start listening to QSOs.

there are things you'll pick up quickly.....

test

rst 599 (and accurate reports too......)

once you START sending, make sure you get the dot and dash spacing right.

I'm happy to work slowly with an op I can understand, but when someone is sending slurred daaaaaaah daaaaaah daaah daaaaah when hes supposed to be sending daaaah dahhhh dit dahhhhh, it's a nightmare to copy.

personally I find it a lot easier to read wide spaced letters than slow sent morse......

dah dah............. didit...............dah dah dah

is much easier to keep track of than

Daaaaah daaaaah diiiitdiiiiiit daaaaaah daaaaaah daaaaaaah

you'll also find it easier to speed up as you progress.

keep at it, and don't ever be afraid to ask the other op to repeat or slow down for you!!

(BTW, I've found CW ops are much better mannered than those nasty takly ones :D

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:45 am

Advanced Member

10-15 mins a day will be far more productive than an hour one day and nothing the next ,20 mins a few days after etc .. Just try and do that 10-15 mins EVERYDAY .. turn the phone off , tell the mrs to give you 15 mins without interruption unless the house starts burning and have that time dedicated to your session ..

Make an mp3 recording or do it on your pc of common words used in a rubber stamp qso , TKS,QSO,RST,QTH etc etc and listen to those as whole "words" as part of your sessions when you have the alphabet/numbers done ,you will be surprised how they will jump out at you even on code you consider far beyond your ability once you know what they sound like ..

Above all don't have any expectations of how long it should take to learn , it takes however long it takes ,some people are faster at grasping it than others .it CAN be learnt ,it's NOT hard ,it's like many other things and it's only something that needs learning there is no magic or secret ,just plain old patience,practice and dedication ...

Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:45 am

Novice Member

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated.
G0KZZ just to let you know I will not be trying out my new key until I am competent at receiving. Also since you asked the key I bought is one of the 1950's Czech keys the is popular at the moment. I got that key as it had good reviews and was only £20 not bad for a solid key that has never been used. I have a hankering to collect morse keys too, but not sure we're or how to start

Thanks for the advice about learning the frequently used Q-codes.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated about how I get on learning morse, currently I have got A and B down pat, I have a set of recordings that work for me tried Koch method but did not work for me.

73 de G1KXX

Andy

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:24 pm

Advanced Member

G1KXX wrote:
Thanks for the advice it is appreciated.
G0KZZ just to let you know I will not be trying out my new key until I am competent at receiving. Also since you asked the key I bought is one of the 1950's Czech keys the is popular at the moment. I got that key as it had good reviews and was only £20 not bad for a solid key that has never been used. I have a hankering to collect morse keys too, but not sure we're or how to start

I'll be sure to keep you all updated about how I get on learning morse, currently I have got A and B down pat, I have a set of recordings that work for me tried Koch method but did not work for me.

73 de G1KXX

Andy
Hi Andy.

I've got one of those Czech keys myself. Nicely made, and speaking as someone who has *lots* of keys, they do better than some of the so called 'must have' keys ;)

There are two paths (I think) for key collecting. One is maybe just buying any old key, for any reason, the other is to maybe look for certain makes or types. What I find is that about 50-70% of the keys I've bought I would not use at all, or at least not on a regular basis. They're maybe too small, too heavy to the touch, just damned 'clonky' etc.

So you might think about whether you want a 'practical' collection that you can use, or one that you just look at (or perhaps has historical value).

I personally find all types interesting, whether straight or paddles, mechanical and electronic. You can spend many a happy hour stripping down an old rusted key and restoring it to life.

I'm currently restoring an old(ish) G3WPO electronic keyer (the key itself is made from copper clad fibreglass). Because 'WPO no longer supports his old projects (about thirty years old), I'm planning on reverse engineering the PCB while it's all stripped down so that I can produce a schematic for the key. I did try to find one on the web but to no avail, so I guessed that others might be looking for info too, especially if they have a broken one, or fancy making one from scratch (it's a good little design).

I hope you get in to Morse and stick with it, it's a whole hobby by itself :D

73, Mark...

Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:52 am

Contributor 2020

Well done on learning the code, as Billy said its really important to practice every day. Don't worry if you hit a wall most people do at some point, just keep plodding you will get through it.

Don't worry about speed that will come, once you get to about 15wpm, you will just naturally get faster without trying.

As for sending again don't worry about speed, concentrate more on accuracy again speed will come.

When you start to listen on the radio sometimes you will think your receiving is having a bad day, its just as liable to be some of the shit that is sent by some operators, and some of it is many things but not CW.

A good place to listen to good code at various speeds are the ARRL nets, they start at about 5 wpm through varying speeds up to 20 wpm.

Personally though I prefer to work at about 25wpm, I have been dropping down recently to 8 wpm with a group who are learning.

Importantly never send faster than you can receive, you will be amazed at how many people send a CQ out at 25wpm and the first thing they do when they get an answer is send QRS (slow down), always amazes me that people do this.

Good luck with the learning, its not luck actually its just you putting the work in.

Keith G0TSH

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:15 am

Novice Member

Just an update as to how my learning morse is coming along, I am about 1/3 the way through the alphabet. Is challenging going through the copy practice with a new lettet or two hidden in there, but it's coming along nicely.
Thanks for all the sport and advice.
I love my Czech key for now is an ornament until I am up to scratch with my receiving them I can worry about sending.
Currently looking for an hf trcvr, a psu and antenna setup. However money is though so not having much luck. I'll keep looking.
Andy

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:13 am

Advanced Member

As your learning morse why not grab a cheap cw only rig ,kit or built . qrp monoband cw radios are cheap as chips and many work surprisingly well .. as for antennas , go with a monobander and a simple cheap dipole will do .

MFJ CUB
HB1A/B

2 off the top of my head

both great for what they are IMO . the cubs are fantastic little rigs ,they really are ,the HB you can get for around the 150-180 mark second hand for a good one and have 4 ands and around 5 watts out etc ..

your at an advantage money wise simply choosing cw IMO...

Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:17 am

Novice Member

Just thought I would do an update on how I was getting on learning morse.

I was being on fine going through the alphabet (A to Z) fine but for some reason I got stuck on G and H. So I decided to try one of the apps for my Android tablet so downloaded loads of them and found one that worked fine for me using the Koch method and now seem to be back on track learning morse.

I'll be be on the air using morse one day ... I have to build myself a morse transceiver and an antenna tuner. Unless I can pick up a transceiver second hand.

Thanks for reading and if you still to know how I am getting I will update agin soon

73's
Andy
G1KXX

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 am

Advanced Member

G1KXX wrote:
Just thought I would do an update on how I was getting on learning morse.

I was being on fine going through the alphabet (A to Z) fine but for some reason I got stuck on G and H. So I decided to try one of the apps for my Android tablet so downloaded loads of them and found one that worked fine for me using the Koch method and now seem to be back on track learning morse.

I'll be be on the air using morse one day ... I have to build myself a morse transceiver and an antenna tuner. Unless I can pick up a transceiver second hand.

Thanks for reading and if you still to know how I am getting I will update agin soon

73's
Andy
G1KXX

Well done, and keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

I spend hours listening to CW around HF, absolutely love it...

If you want to listen around on HF for free, why not give one of the online DSP receivers a go.

Hack Green Web SDR is good >>> http://hackgreensdr.org:8901/

73, Mark.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:27 am

Advanced Member

Keep at it Andy ,it will come . If you have made a trx and atu I would use them , that together with a new found skill will give you a great sense of achievement ,nothing a black box bought from a shop could ever give .. BTW there was a tentec argosy 2 on here the other day with matching psu for 180 ,looked very tidy ..and that's a good price ..

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Novice Member

Thanks for the encouragement and for the url of the sdr radio on the Web

I think I will end up building my own kit for now until I can afford to buy an ft817 but the main thing is that I am keeping up the morse

Thanks for reading. I will update my progress soon

73 de G1KXX
Andy

Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Advanced Member

To be honest ,cw ONLY the 817 wouldn't be my first choice ,better and cheaper kit out there , the Elecraft K1 is a nice rig IF you don't require all and coverage ( usually 2 or 4 band) and can be had for about 2-250 for a nice one . The HB1B again 4 bander is a good workhorse and even cheaper but is a /p rig but know many use them at home ....

BTW the 817 is a bitch without the additional cw filter which will add another £100 quid on top if bought new . K1/KX1 AND HB1B all have adjustable filtering as standard .

Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Advanced Member

m0jha wrote:
BTW the 817 is a bitch without the additional cw filter...

So are any number of other multimode transceivers.

I have no trouble with mine, it works great on all but the most crowded segments. You can easily reduce the adjacent interference by using the IF shift and/or RIT functions.

Part of the 'skill' of CW is being able to focus on one signal while ignoring the others around it. I've used direct conversion and regenerative receivers on HF for around 40yrs now, many of which had 10khz BW (20khz in reality since you can hear both sidebands at the same time), and had hours of interesting listening from them, and not a narrow filter in sight :D

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:05 pm