It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:46 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

hello from Surrey 
Novice Member

Post hello from Surrey
just a quick hi from m0wao

found this forum as i been looking around for some time to find an 'amateur radio' forum without all the usual freebander junk present on many forums.
so will have a look around to see if i like it here.

not done lots of qso lately as not really settled as yet. current oth can't have any antennas due restrictions. still need to install my 2m/70cm rig in the car. for now mostly on the handy talkie gb3mh / gb3ns

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:31 pm
Profile Send private message

hello from Surrey 
Contributor 2019

Post Re: hello from Surrey
m0wao wrote:
just a quick hi from m0wao

found this forum as i been looking around for some time to find an 'amateur radio' forum without all the usual freebander junk present on many forums.
so will have a look around to see if i like it here.

not done lots of qso lately as not really settled as yet. current oth can't have any antennas due restrictions. still need to install my 2m/70cm rig in the car. for now mostly on the handy talkie gb3mh / gb3ns

Welcome.....but unfortunately you're not going to be immune from freebanders as recent trend appears to be advertising depicting photos of 27.555 on displays suggesting the equipment is fit for "freebanding".
Then there's the "bravado" CB'ers who don't care that OfCom may catch wind of illegal activity.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56647&hilit=crystals

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:41 pm

hello from Surrey 
Advanced Member

Welcome to HRD. :wave:

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:16 am
Profile Send private message WWW

hello from Surrey 
Advanced Member

ei9ju wrote:

Welcome.....but unfortunately you're not going to be immune from freebanders as recent trend appears to be advertising depicting photos of 27.555 on displays suggesting the equipment is fit for "freebanding".
Then there's the "bravado" CB'ers who don't care that OfCom may catch wind of illegal activity.

Hardly a trend Gerry. The odd one one here in our adverts and the usual "its all radio - just enjoy the hobby" characters. They get short shrift here as you know. The way forward is to treat those idiots with the contempt they deserve, as most do on HRD, and focus on the gems on the site that are there for all to see.

We work hard to try to get a balance between keeping it amateur radio and the standards that should demand and those coming looking to move on into bigger and better, against those who want just use our bands as their own personal property and drag amateur radio as low as their lives.

Cbers are welcome along with anyone else here, so long as they are looking forwards and not backwards. :)

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:24 am

hello from Surrey 
Novice Member

well i have nothing against CBers I even have a legal 27/81 UK handy talkie when greenlaning but i do have a problem with the so called Freebanders who think they own the whole radio spectrum from DC and up and even more Licensed Radio Amateurs who only have the HAM license to cover them so they can have antennas on the roof. Using HAM equipment on PMR446 and 11 meters and holding DX contests on these frequencies as if it's normal to transmit with 100w on 446MHz blasting legal users of these bands etc.

anyway rant over

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:12 pm

hello from Surrey 
Novice Member

ei9ju wrote:

after reading this tread i think i found a forum where i will hang around :D

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 pm

hello from Surrey 
Contributor 2019

G0UAZ wrote:
ei9ju wrote:

Hardly a trend Gerry. The odd one one here in our adverts and the usual "its all radio - just enjoy the hobby" characters. They get short shrift here as you know. The way forward is to treat those idiots with the contempt they deserve, as most do on HRD, and focus on the gems on the site that are there for all to see.

We work hard to try to get a balance between keeping it amateur radio and the standards that should demand and those coming looking to move on into bigger and better, against those who want just use our bands as their own personal property and drag amateur radio as low as their lives.

Cbers are welcome along with anyone else here, so long as they are looking forwards and not backwards. :)

Terry, I've seen at least two adverts recently depicting rigs on 27.555 plus the advert I included of the guy looking for a crystal to convert a Kenwood amateur transceiver into one capable of transmitting on 27.555.
Once word gets round adverts like this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56479&p=298022&hilit=ranger#p298022 are acceptable I dare say we'll be seeing a lot more.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:40 pm

hello from Surrey 
Contributor 2019

m0wao wrote:
ei9ju wrote:

after reading this tread i think i found a forum where i will hang around :D

You won't find better .......but every now and then CB'ers/Freebanders push there luck trying to shove their illegality down our throats!

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 pm