It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

G4FON software settings 
Contributor 2019

Post G4FON software settings
Afternoon all

Just downloaded the G4FON Koch software looking to self teach CW bit confused on the settings can anyone help on what is the best settings to start off with.

Actual Speed (WPM) ??
Effective Code speed (WPM) ??

Thanks in advance
Graeme

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:30 pm
Profile Send private message

G4FON software settings 

Post Re: G4FON software settings
Graeme
I assume you already know cw? I ask this because I’m using the same program from time to time and it is fast, it’s meant to be used to get your speed up and assumes that you already know cw.

Re your question I can’t be 100% sure, but I think the program gives you a choice of sending the characters at the chosen speed alternativley it will send the characters and the gap at the chosen speed.
Either way 20wpm I find is really fast at the moment for me.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:00 pm

G4FON software settings 
Contributor 2019

Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply no previous experience with CW, I thought the Koch trainer was for beginners start at two letters work your way through the alphabet.
Think I managed to sort it out gone for 15 WPM character speed and starting at 11 WPM code speed.

Thanks
Graeme

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 pm

G4FON software settings 

Graeme,
Ok well if it works for you good luck, 15WPM starting is going to be really hard work.
I can rag chew about 14WPM but wind that program up to 20WPM and I’m struggling big time. Thinking back to when I learnt CW there is no way I could take it anywhere near the slowest setting on the trainer. I remember reading G4FON’s write up about it saying he wrote the program as a trainer to get his speed up because he was rusty.

If you find it too hard don’t lose heart, I have a feeling that program may have put off a few in the past.

Again good luck
Vy 73
De g0uwk.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:19 pm

G4FON software settings 
Advanced Member

I found Farnsworth a better option for me , this is characters sent at a set speed but with long spacing between , this gives the "newb brain" time to think about what has been sent . "JUST LEARN MORSE CODE " by Julian G4ILO ( I think) is very good and can be user adjusted to suite your needs ..

Don't learn below at least 12wpm you will just be shooting yourself in the foot , set a speed that you CAN NOT count the dits and dahs , this is the last thing you want to do . remember your looking at remembering the sound as a whole unit NOT individual elements that makes that unit , so for A you don't want to hear a dot then a dash and think " ah , that's A " you want to be hearing DIDAH .

You really shouldn't need to know how letters are made anyway ,we don't read morse by eye ..

read a little about speeds/timing and spacing and the wpm topic may make a bit more sense it's not as simple as just banging away at speed ..

Personally I would learn A-Z IN ORDER before trying to do it mixed up , it will take a lot longer trying to hear/decode a sound you have never heard before . YOU WONT get stuck in a rut as many think you would this way as it's only till you know what each letter sounds like THEN mix it up .. we never learnt the alphabet jumbled up did we ? that's just new sounds we were taught ..

Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:31 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

G4FON software settings 
Contributor 2019

m0jha wrote:
I found Farnsworth a better option for me , this is characters sent at a set speed but with long spacing between , this gives the "newb brain" time to think about what has been sent . "JUST LEARN MORSE CODE " by Julian G4ILO ( I think) is very good and can be user adjusted to suite your needs ..

Don't learn below at least 12wpm you will just be shooting yourself in the foot , set a speed that you CAN NOT count the dits and dahs , this is the last thing you want to do . remember your looking at remembering the sound as a whole unit NOT individual elements that makes that unit , so for A you don't want to hear a dot then a dash and think " ah , that's A " you want to be hearing DIDAH .

You really shouldn't need to know how letters are made anyway ,we don't read morse by eye ..

read a little about speeds/timing and spacing and the wpm topic may make a bit more sense it's not as simple as just banging away at speed ..

Personally I would learn A-Z IN ORDER before trying to do it mixed up , it will take a lot longer trying to hear/decode a sound you have never heard before . YOU WONT get stuck in a rut as many think you would this way as it's only till you know what each letter sounds like THEN mix it up .. we never learnt the alphabet jumbled up did we ? that's just new sounds we were taught ..

Totally agree with the above start at 15wpm with large spacing. The minute you start counting dots and dashes you are lost, its the sound of the character you are after not what its made up of. Also if you miss a character just carry on if you start thing you will miss the next one and so on.
I know it sounds hard but its not. But the most important thing is regular practice if its only 10-15 mins a day do it every day. long stints one day then not doing any for a couple of days is a waste of time, you need to do it daily.

Keith G0TSH

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm

G4FON software settings 
BANNED

Nothing to add. Sounds like great advice to me, especially the ''Di-dah-di-dit'' suggestion.

About 15wpm character speed with great big long gaps at first.

Don't bother writing anything down either. The Morse test is dead, you are never going to use it professionally, just for love, so just head-read it and then you will be able to 'gasbag' in morse later.

Also, try to switch 'off' that little voice in your head that says the letter ... That will slow you down later. In conversational morse 'C' is not 'C', it is Dah-di-dah-dit'. Your brain will just 'feel' the letter 'C' without 'saying' it.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 pm

G4FON software settings 
Contributor 2019

Thanks all for the advice time to start learning the A-Z

Cheers
Graeme

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:00 pm

G4FON software settings 
BANNED

M0OAT wrote:
Thanks all for the advice time to start learning the A-Z

Cheers
Graeme

Yes, just follow the Koch method with a few letters at first. Relax and just let it soak in. The guy who wrote that program was no fool by any means.

I am an old morse hound, but I still use the program on 'bad fist', 'full QRM' and 'speed/pitch dither' to keep my ear in. I can read any old shoite now. I can even copy an RSARS net :)

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:07 pm

G4FON software settings 
Advanced Member

I set mine 15wpm and 13wpm effective code speed
Just listen for the sound not the dits and dahs
Sometimes i set to 20wpm/17wpm effective code speed just for fun
Just keep at it, even though i have learned the whole lot i still run it nearly everyday just to drum it into my head
Paddy 2E0TXP

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:29 pm

G4FON software settings 
Advanced Member

The thing with learning the code is many people think it's hard ,Its NOT and are put off thinking they would have 6 month or more of painful study simply looking at a chore ahead . The learning process should be fun and can be if hit the right way . Simply having letters thrown at you from some program regardless of who made it and what user settings it has in itself won't teach you ,you need a learning structure and goals ..

People may say " it's ok, you can do it " but I tried 3 times and failed as I had no structure to my learning , when I sat and thought about it and broke it down into bite size pieces with goals I pissed through it ..

Your effective code speed isn't important when learning the letters, however the character speed is , you want a speed fast enough to get rid of any chance of counting dits and dahs but you want a low ECS to give your brain time to soak what you have just heard in, rummage around and pull the answer out for you .

Here is a test ,

listen to the letters A/B/C IN ORDER at 18wpm with wide spacing ( say 10 wpm ECS ) Forget ALL thinking about what the letters are made up of as far as dots and dashes are concerned and just listen to what they sound like . Do that 3 times today for say 2 minutes per session .. when you hear A , say A in your head etc etc

Don't think about code for a few hours ,later tonight have them sent , same speed etc but for 1 minute just to get the brain into morse mode then send them randomly , bet you know them .

Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:04 am
Profile Send private message WWW

G4FON software settings 
Advanced Member

There are some mobile phone programs as well that might be of interest. I use HamMorse by AA9PW on the iPhone, teaches the Koch method and a few other options as well. Great for grabbing a few minutes here and there is you are not in front of the PC.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm

G4FON software settings 
Contributor 2019

Using the g4fon software set to 15 WPM and starting with 11 WPM effective code speed. It seems to be going in at the moment, I am sure that will change once I start adding the extra letters, the 5min session seem to pass in quickly.
Just downloaded the koch trainer on the iPad should do me for when I am away with work.

Thanks again for tips
Graeme

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:12 pm

G4FON software settings 
Contributor 2019

Really good to hear that people are still learning the code :amen:
A very good G3 from FOC taught me and I am eternally grateful that I stuck with it.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 pm

G4FON software settings 
BANNED

G0PWX wrote:
Really good to hear that people are still learning the code :amen:
A very good G3 from FOC taught me and I am eternally grateful that I stuck with it.

Yes it is nice to see.

When they dropped the morse test, a lot of the old guard thought it would be the death of morse, and morse sections on the bands.

People learn it now for the love of the tradition - not grudgingly as a chore.

A bit like a young man I regularly see on the way to work. Sometimes he drives a Ford Capri, and other days he takes his old Rover TC instead.

New cars are much better, but old cars are much better :)

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:37 pm