It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Back into the swing - FISTS 
Advanced Member

Post Back into the swing - FISTS
So, after an 18 year break from Amateur Radio, I am back again.
I currently have an Icom IC726, an LDG AT200 Pro II into a 132ft Long Wire. Cw key is a Hi-Mound HK703.

While I do enjoy a rag chew on SSB I much prefer CW and i'm rapidly getting back int the swing of things.

I have just re-joined the RSGB and I have joined Fists (# 16592). Looking at the RSGB website, it appears there are no Morse assessors in my RSGB region, which is region 11.

So, I am looking at offering my services and becoming an assessor. I know that CW is no longer a requirement for a Class A licence but I am keen to promote it and this is my way of helping the CW cause!

73's de G0PNM - Pete

FOC #2095
HSC #1962
FISTS #16592
http://www.g0pnm.uk
TenTec Orion & Regal mic.
TenTec Corsair 2 line up
Tentec Argosy 2
Begali Keys:- Sculpture, Blade, Spark, HST MK2, Simplex Mono & Camelback (1999 Marconi Day Special Edition)
Western HF10 160m-6m

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm
Profile Send private message

Advanced Member

Post Re: Back into the swing - FISTS
G0PNM wrote:
So, after an 18 year break from Amateur Radio, I am back again.
I currently have an Icom IC726, an LDG AT200 Pro II into a 132ft Long Wire. Cw key is a Hi-Mound HK703.

While I do enjoy a rag chew on SSB I much prefer CW and i'm rapidly getting back int the swing of things.

I have just re-joined the RSGB and I have joined Fists (# 16592). Looking at the RSGB website, it appears there are no Morse assessors in my RSGB region, which is region 11.

So, I am looking at offering my services and becoming an assessor. I know that CW is no longer a requirement for a Class A licence but I am keen to promote it and this is my way of helping the CW cause!

73's de G0PNM - Pete

Hiya Pete :wave:

Wow, 18yrs, that's a long break! Trust the code is still in there ;)

I was in FISTS myself a while back, not now though. I was always puzzled by the club moto "Accuracy Transcends Speed". Listening around the FISTS frequencies I found that a better moto for me would have been "Their Speed Transcends My Reading Ability" hi hi.

73 for now :wave:

Mark.

Practise is a verb meaning ‘do something repeatedly to improve a skill’. It is a systematic training by multiple repetitions to master that skill.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Advanced Member

Hi Mark,

Yes its still in there! Sending is no problems at all. Receiving in the head is getting there too.

See you in the logbook!

73's
Pete

FOC #2095
HSC #1962
FISTS #16592
http://www.g0pnm.uk
TenTec Orion & Regal mic.
TenTec Corsair 2 line up
Tentec Argosy 2
Begali Keys:- Sculpture, Blade, Spark, HST MK2, Simplex Mono & Camelback (1999 Marconi Day Special Edition)
Western HF10 160m-6m

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Contributor 2018

Welcome back Pete.
I love FISTS and look forward to having a rag chew with you.
David
G4YVM
FISTS 15868

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Intermediate Member

Hi Pete, glad you've decided to join the best CW club in the world! But I'm biased! Ex membership sec' look forward to meeting you on the bi monthly ladder, and Mark, a QRS pls will bring the desired results, 73 fer nw, John M0CDL
Www.fists.co.uk :wave:

Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Advanced Member

Yes a QRS will almost always get a slow down . never come across a grumpy FISTS member on air . That said most cw ops are a pleasure to qso in my experience ..

I think many reply to a faster call expecting the answering op to automatically slow down. The problem with that is many ops will assume you can read at their speed to of answered , so may not automatically do it . many see no issue with qrs so if needed just ask .

Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:07 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Advanced Member

M0CDL wrote:
...and Mark, a QRS pls will bring the desired results

M0JHA wrote:
Yes a QRS will almost always get a slow down . never come across a grumpy FISTS member on air

The one time I tried that I was told (fortunately had a reader running at the time to back up my head reading) to,
Quote:
Go away and practice more and come back when you can keep up with real cw ops hi hi lid
Made a mental note not to try that one again. :this:

Practise is a verb meaning ‘do something repeatedly to improve a skill’. It is a systematic training by multiple repetitions to master that skill.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Contributor 2018

If I get asked to QRS I always do....I consider it rude not to.

Of course if the station replying does not ask I just presume he can copy at the speed Im sending.

I find it hard to believe anybody would not slow down if asked,if you don't slow down it makes the contact pretty pointless if one party can't participate.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:21 am

Contributor 2018

Nice to work you over the weekend Pete. Must do it again! !

D

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:28 am

Advanced Member

g4rra wrote:
If I get asked to QRS I always do....I consider it rude not to.

Of course if the station replying does not ask I just presume he can copy at the speed Im sending.

I find it hard to believe anybody would not slow down if asked,if you don't slow down it makes the contact pretty pointless if one party can't participate.

It's just nice to be nice ,and it's nice to think people learning or just working slow can still enjoy the hobby . there shouldn't be pressure to be fast as it will come naturally if your ears/fist want to . I'm more than happy to QRS for anyone .. I have had to ask myself a few times over the last few month but they had replied to MY call .

Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:03 am

Advanced Member

G0KZZ wrote:
M0CDL wrote:
...and Mark, a QRS pls will bring the desired results

M0JHA wrote:
Yes a QRS will almost always get a slow down . never come across a grumpy FISTS member on air

The one time I tried that I was told (fortunately had a reader running at the time to back up my head reading) to,
Quote:
Go away and practice more and come back when you can keep up with real cw ops hi hi lid
Made a mental note not to try that one again. :this:

Also forgot to mention that on at least three occasions I've been monitoring FISTS calling frequencies (3.558MHz and 7.028MHz) and have heard stations calling at maybe 10-12wpm only to have other FISTS members respond at speeds well above this, about 25-35wpm or more. This has caused the calling stations to ask for repeats and eventually just gave up and disappeared (presumably frightened off).

You must face the fact that there are a LOT of FISTS members who simply will not slow down for anyone, it seems to be a pride thing with them I guess. In fact it became a running joke with a number of customers when the subject of CW clubs came up that instead of being called FISTS, that "FASTS" would be a better name for the group.

The only CW group I ever recommend these days for folks new to CW, or maybe have let their skills get a bit rusty over the years and want to get back in to code, are the Straight Key Century Club. I have found them to be much more friendly, they WILL happily slow down to even a few letters per minute for newcomers wanting to try their hand out, just a better bunch all round. And it's totally free :thumbsup:

What the FISTS group alleges to promote does not stand up against what I've heard on air. I'm not saying that all members are bad, but certainly there is a hard core group who just seem to want to engage in 'speed snobbery'. I've experienced it myself, and I've heard it happening to others.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Advanced Member

Don't agree . Are you sure it's not a "just because I can't do it " thing ? Why shouldn't someone work fast . Fact is no one is obliged to slow down for a station slower ,if you can't handle 30wpm simply don't answer a 30wpm station and EXPECT them to slow .

NOW if I heard a 10wpm station I wouldn't answer at 30 ,that's just wrong .

Working 10-15 wpm for many is just hard work ,it's not snobbery . I work at only 23-25 wpm but I find it hard to RX below say 17 ,anything slower and I just get the single letters and find it hard to make words unless I start writing it all down which I don't like doing.

a far more worrying aspect of some FISTS ops is the lack of anything meaningful being sent . some of it is bordering illegal or it should be that said it's not exclusive to any cw club ..

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Contributor 2019

Well I have listened on the fists frequencies a few times, to be honest I was not impressed.

Stations calling CQ at about 12wpm, being answered at 25wpm, then wondering why being asked for repeats all the time.

Stations calling at 25wpm being answered at same speed by me, immediately I was asked to QRS!! what is the point in that? or are they just trying to impress the slower stations.

There is one particular G3 or G2 or G4 whose keying is atrocious I have heard him a couple of times, his speed is also up and down like a yo-yo.

I don`t know about you lot, but I have far more contacts with operators in the States who generally send better CW.

Just my 2 bobs worth

Keith G0TSH

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Advanced Member

I don't like to say it, because I was in FISTS for a while when old Geo was still alive and kicking.

But when I hear the SKCC on the bands, they do seem 'better' somehow. Not faster, just 'better'.

Also they tend to run some enjoyable 'hook-ups' around Europe and over the pond. Fists justs seems to be one rolling net on 3558/7028.

Both clubs are 'non elitist' so there are bound to be different abilities.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Advanced Member

Doesn't matter what club you belong to ,what speed you work at or whether you use a bug, paddle,straight key or whatever if you can send well ,you can send well and that will be noticed . Yes there are some terrible fists and some belong to FISTS but there will also be bad fists in other clubs and just bad fists regardless in general regardless of club or no club membership.

Listen across the bands and you will find terrible sending from all over the gaff so it's not just a UK thing . i have listened to cq calls and couldn't make head nor tail of a callsign ,I have also listened to ops with good reputations that really do need to sort spacing out .

I also believe many that can't work at a reasonable speed as to not make a qso last 4 hours just for the basics see anyone else that does work faster as a show off or a speed demon when reality is it's simply easier to converse at a speed that doesn't take all day to get a name across .. many are glued to a pen and paper and so get stuck in a rut . if they got head reading sussed they would soon feel different about speed..

good slow straight key cw is all well and but the truth lots can't use one slow or fast .

Speed isn't the devil ,it serves a purpose . who wants top spend 45mins getting the basics across

It's same as " the size of the willy isn't important ,it's what you do with it that matters" only stated by people with little willies ..

Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:55 pm