It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 2:15 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Software for use with Web SDR 
Advanced Member

Post Software for use with Web SDR
Does anyone know of a good CW programme that will read off a Web SDR? Pref shareware.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:55 am
Profile Send private message

Advanced Member

Post Re: Software for use with Web SDR
Most decoding packages, such as Hamradio Deluxe, will decode Morse to an extent, but if you're wanting to decode from the webpage
output you'll also need to install a Virtual Audio Cable (VAC). A much easier option is to download Simon Browns SDR-Console software,
and yes it's free. This will give you access to all sorts of web enabled SDR's around the World and it has it's own built in digital mode
decoding software (PSK, RTTY, Morse, etc... ).

However, for Morse decoding the transmission has to be a good one, i.e. near perfectly sent with a good signal to noise ratio. Morse readers
are popular amongst those with no Morse skills when in contest or trying to work DX stations as most in these circumstances are using
computer/machine sent Morse.

Regards

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:17 am

Contributor 2019

M6SOE wrote:
Does anyone know of a good CW programme that will read off a Web SDR? Pref shareware.

Ever thought of training the one between your ears?

Keith G0TSH

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Advanced Member

G0TSH wrote:

Keith G0TSH

You didn't see the previous post

http://www.hamradiodeals.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=35220

First thing is I only ever 12wpm and that was a long time ago, second is looking at it as a possible demonstrator on a laptop (with dongle - so go anywhere without the need for a rig or antenna).

Thing is you show someone a radio with CW and they nod their heads and eyes glaze over, if they could actually see what the message was, maybe that would probably hold their interest.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Advanced Member

M6SOE wrote:
G0TSH wrote:

Keith G0TSH

Thing is you show someone a radio with CW and they nod their heads and eyes glaze over, if they could actually see what the message was, maybe that would probably hold their interest.

That just encourages people to become bad ops reading a de coder and sending trash that should be punishable by equipment confiscation :) a few kx3 owners at it now ... I think Elecraft sticking a de coder in the rig is nothing short of an insult to those of us who made the effort . i could afford one if i had £1 for everyone i heard stating they could be a morse op if they had one :scratch:

billy

billy

Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:16 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Advanced Member

m0jha wrote:
M6SOE wrote:
G0TSH wrote:

Keith G0TSH

That just encourages people to become bad ops reading a de coder and sending trash that should be punishable by equipment confiscation :) a few kx3 owners at it now ... I think Elecraft sticking a de coder in the rig is nothing short of an insult to those of us who made the effort . i could afford one if i had £1 for everyone i heard stating they could be a morse op if they had one :scratch:

billy

billy

I'm not talking about Hams, why would someone not involved with the hobby become a bad operator?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Advanced Member

Sorry I thought you were talking about amateurs being on a ham site and asking about morse code.

Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Contributor 2019

m0jha wrote:
Sorry I thought you were talking about amateurs being on a ham site and asking about morse code.

So did I oops!

Keith G0TSH

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:57 am

Contributor 2019

m0jha wrote:
M6SOE wrote:
G0TSH wrote:

Keith G0TSH

billy

billy

Hii Billy,

I had one of the de-coder merchants the other day on 15m, i called CQ at about 18wpm and was answered by someone who varied between 6 -20wpm of the worst cw i have heard in years, it took about 5 attempts to get his call it varied from a W1 to a W5!!.still not sure i got it right in the end just gave up.

Keith G0TSH

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 am

Advanced Member

@Keith:

With the advent of computer Morse readers I think there are more out there with more confidence in the technology
than in themselves.

I don't often call "CQ" but I did once on 17m using 2.5Watts from an Ft-817. Because I was using
low power I sent relatively slowly, about 12-15wpm. After about three or four calls of "CQ" I had a return call, I'd estimate
at about 30wpm, so I replied back at 30wpm with the usual name, location, RST. The reply back, still at 30wpm was in
long hand and along the lines of "Please slow down no copy here". By the way the letters were perfectly formed but
with different length spaces I'd have to say as well as a dreadful Morse Op he was a lousy typist too.

Regards

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:41 am

Contributor 2019

G0NIG wrote:
@Keith:

With the advent of computer Morse readers I think there are more out there with more confidence in the technology
than in themselves.

I don't often call "CQ" but I did once on 17m using 2.5Watts from an Ft-817. Because I was using
low power I sent relatively slowly, about 12-15wpm. After about three or four calls of "CQ" I had a return call, I'd estimate
at about 30wpm, so I replied back at 30wpm with the usual name, location, RST. The reply back, still at 30wpm was in
long hand and along the lines of "Please slow down no copy here". By the way the letters were perfectly formed but
with different length spaces I'd have to say as well as a dreadful Morse Op he was a lousy typist too.

Regards

Hi Nidge,

I too have had a few contacts like that. mainly on 20m. Like yourself i always return at the speed in which it was sent to me, only to be asked to slow down. Why people send faster than they can receive is beyond me.

As for people using computers to send, its one of my pet hates I see no validation in a contact that has been made on CW by a person using a computer to send/receive code. I know a chap who has to use a computer to receive code as he has total hearing loss, but he still sends it back using his key, that i consider a valid contact.

Not all people learnt to type as we did, though i must admit i am down to about 45 wpm on a keyboard as against the 55/60 i was at. Age is starting to take its toll on the hands.

Regards

Keith G0TSH

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:05 am

Advanced Member

De coders are a pet hate here also :) . i can't see the point i using one if you want to be a morse op . surely learning the sounds is the main aim , using a decoder won't help you do that.

as for keyboard sending , WHY ? you wouldn't buy fishing gear to go to the fish monger and buy a fish .

I feel too many people feel learning the code is very difficult when the reality is it's not that hard to learn the basics , a-z , 0-9 etc etc , what's difficult is using these strung together as words . I think too many people get hung up on speed , a lot of yanks contribute to this " i must be at 30wpm before i start using the mode" and " it took me 3 weeks to get to 30wpm" which scares people ..

There is some cracking qrs code on the bands ..

I suppose a non ham using one would give them an insite to how conversations go as many people me included before i used the mode thought it was secret code or some boring stuff .. My mates look suprised if i tell them i just waffle like i do to them about any old tripe that takes the 2 ops fancy ..

i was joking about the wx lastnight saying i was selling up to buy a rowing boat if the rain carried on etc .

billy

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:38 am

Advanced Member

m0jha wrote:

So Amateur Radio should be wholly exclusive for a few and shouldn't encourage newcomers? The other week I was sat in front of FT1000 at a steam rally for a few hours but that was it, there was no CW, there are a people who could have put on a CW demo but even then I bet after 10 seconds the interest from Members of the Public wanes and dies, if there had been a screen showing what the messages said then you would have held their interest more. Even without someone who can do tx/rx CW you could still put on a CW demo with a laptop showing a websdr picking up those signals.

Make people realise that your not using a CB or are Event control!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:33 pm

Contributor 2019

M6SOE wrote:
m0jha wrote:

So Amateur Radio should be wholly exclusive for a few and shouldn't encourage newcomers? The other week I was sat in front of FT1000 at a steam rally for a few hours but that was it, there was no CW, there are a people who could have put on a CW demo but even then I bet after 10 seconds the interest from Members of the Public wanes and dies, if there had been a screen showing what the messages said then you would have held their interest more. Even without someone who can do tx/rx CW you could still put on a CW demo with a laptop showing a websdr picking up those signals.

Make people realise that your not using a CB or are Event control!

Please tell me where any of the previous posts anybody stated that "So Amateur Radio should be wholly exclusive for a few"? by the few i take it you mean those that use CW.

The only thing that i disagree with on the use computer generated CW, is that it should not be allowed to count for any award etc. Simply the operator has shown no skill or understanding all he has done is press a computer key.

I agree it could be a useful tool to show to members of the public, so they could gain an understanding as to what was happening.

But as for computer generated CW on send and recieve, to claim awards in my opinion is a joke, where is the skill? self learning in that?. Maybe i am old fashioned in thinking that way, but that is my opinion. Amateur Radio used to be about learning and progressing, sadly that has gone downhill in the structure we have today.

Keith G0TSH

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:53 pm

Advanced Member

G0TSH wrote:
Please tell me where any of the previous posts anybody stated that "So Amateur Radio should be wholly exclusive for a few"? by the few i take it you mean those that use CW.

The only thing that i disagree with on the use computer generated CW, is that it should not be allowed to count for any award etc. Simply the operator has shown no skill or understanding all he has done is press a computer key.

I agree it could be a useful tool to show to members of the public, so they could gain an understanding as to what was happening.

But as for computer generated CW on send and recieve, to claim awards in my opinion is a joke, where is the skill? self learning in that?. Maybe i am old fashioned in thinking that way, but that is my opinion. Amateur Radio used to be about learning and progressing, sadly that has gone downhill in the structure we have today.

Keith G0TSH

Ok its just my perception sometimes, but I do agree with you sending and receiving cw by a computer shouldn't qualify for any awards but then how does that get policed?

As for myself I'm trying to get on an Intermediate course because I want to do the Advanced next year so haven't got time to learn CW from scratch just yet. Doesn't mean I won't be doing it, my brass morse key which I have had for years is in box sitting on top of my pc.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 pm