It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:48 pm

Tropo on 2 meters?? 
Advanced Member

Post Tropo on 2 meters??
Not sure if tropo is running on 2 meters,but got x2 foreign speaking stations on 144.400 on FM,no callsigns heard as of yet,their signals & short overs suggest to me they are perhaps mobile.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 am
Profile Send private message

Tropo on 2 meters?? 

Post Re: Tropo on 2 meters??
M6SPW wrote:
Not sure if tropo is running on 2 meters,but got x2 foreign speaking stations on 144.400 on FM,no callsigns heard as of yet,their signals & short overs suggest to me they are perhaps mobile.

Any idea what language?

Whoever it is they should not be on 144.400 using FM, or any other mode for that matter.

You do occasionally get inexperienced, and not so inexperienced :( , operators lost in the wrong section of the band but the foreign language has me a bit fooled. :?

I'm not sure if you have a beam but, if so, which direction did the signal peak?
I've been listening on and off to 2M, 70cm and 23cm but not noticed anything out of the ordinary.
F8BRK and friend chatting, in French, on 2M but PI7CIS beacon is, if anything, weaker than normal.
PI7CIS beacon on 70cm also weaker than normal.
On 23cm GB3IOW and GB3MHL, at around 300km, are both slightly weaker than normal.

So nothing noticed here.
There does, however, seem to be evidence of tropo in central Europe from postings on KST.

We can but hope for this evening. :D

Cheers

Tony

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Tropo on 2 meters?? 
Advanced Member

gw8asd wrote:
Any idea what language?

No,nothing i recognised anyway.

gw8asd wrote:
Whoever it is they should not be on 144.400 using FM, or any other mode for that matter.

Exactly,thats why i highlighted the word FM in red.

gw8asd wrote:
You do occasionally get inexperienced, and not so inexperienced :( ,operators lost in the wrong section of the band but the foreign language has me a bit fooled. :?

Pirates perhaps?? :? they were on there for the best part of 45 minutes & i never heard a callsign once.

gw8asd wrote:
I'm not sure if you have a beam but, if so, which direction did the signal peak?

No beam this side,just the blind mans 2m/70cms co linear,the signals peaked at an s8 maximum,as i said i think they were mobile & could of even been in this country,i was hoping somebody would be online when i posted this thread so that they could go listen for themselves,unfortunatly nobody responded,so i guess i was the only one to hear this.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Tropo on 2 meters?? 
Advanced Member

So why can't you use 144.400
Quote:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:11 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Tropo on 2 meters?? 
Advanced Member

Oh ere we go :lol:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Tropo on 2 meters?? 
Advanced Member

M0ZOV wrote:
Quote:

144.400-144.490 - 500Hz - Telegraphy, MGM - Beacons only

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Tropo on 2 meters?? 
Contributor 2023

Here we go....

Propagation beacons 144.400-144.490.

Seem to remember they were there for those of us trying to catch DX on VHF and up, we would listen out for them.
Trouble is, if some pillock decides its the place to have a natter, they waste the whole point of having the beacons.

Trying to put it politely, sez he.... looking at his six metres and down and microwave award certificates.
And thats not for cooking chicken... ding either.

Phil

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Tropo on 2 meters?? 

M0ZOV wrote:
Quote:

You forgot to put the smiley face at the end of you comment to indicate you were joking!

At least I hope that's the case. :?

G7BZD wrote:
Here we go....

Propagation beacons 144.400-144.490.

Seem to remember they were there for those of us trying to catch DX on VHF and up, we would listen out for them.
Trouble is, if some pillock decides its the place to have a natter, they waste the whole point of having the beacons.

Trying to put it politely, sez he.... looking at his six metres and down and microwave award certificates.
And thats not for cooking chicken... ding either.

Phil

I went to monitor ON0VRT, on 70cms, a few months ago to find an FM QSO on that freq.
They didn't realise the beacons had been moving from further up the band for the last god knows how many years. :o
Things do change so it's worth keeping an eye on things.
After all, there is no excuse as all this info is just a click away these days.
You don't even have to buy a book. :D
M0TNX wrote:
M6SPW wrote:
Pirates perhaps?? :? they were on there for the best part of 45 minutes & i never heard a callsign once..

it'll be Mustapha Coke and his pal Mahatma Coat sorting out the local kebab and pizzeria...

They're like that in Cheshire..

I did wonder about that.
Or was it, possibly, Welsh?
We even have ill informed plonkers amongst the chosen race you know. :lol: :lol:

I've been on 2M this evening.
Conditions were far from exceptional.
Very poor with deep QSB to be honest.
I only managed 60 stations with only ON5AEN to save the day again. :)
It looked as if 23cm was going to pick up during the evening but, alas, it's in the doldrums again. :(

Not to worry, there's still plenty to do!

Cheers

Tony

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Tropo on 2 meters?? 

M6SPW wrote:

Bandplan aside, with regards to a VHF lift on, try listening around on the FM broadcast band, top end, 100-108 Mhz for any foreign stations.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:30 pm

Tropo on 2 meters?? 

hi tony.
perhaps they were "FLAT SIDE" ...........lol :D

mark.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:25 am

Tropo on 2 meters?? 
Advanced Member

You must have a different band plan to me. Mine is the Ofcom one.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:52 am

Tropo on 2 meters?? 

2E0PCZ wrote:
Bandplan aside, with regards to a VHF lift on, try listening around on the FM broadcast band, top end, 100-108 Mhz for any foreign stations.

It can be useful to listen to FM stations but they are only a very rough guide.
They do tend to indicate what is going on at 4/6M but, even the top end of FM broadcast is a long way from 2M as regards frequency.
The amount of local stations can mask effects unless you are listening on a frequency that is clear and you know is used outside the UK.
It's probably better to listen just LF of our band where the frequencies are allocated in Eastern Europe.

Personally I'll stick to the beacons but they are only a guide as I've frequently worked CT1 stations, on 4M when CS5BFM, in IM59, was inaudible.

Similarly on all bands the paths can be very localised.
This is where the display on the 756 really pays dividends. :D

g1pie wrote:
hi tony.
perhaps they were "FLAT SIDE" ...........lol :D

mark.

Don't get me going now. :x :lol: :lol:

M0ZOV wrote:
You must have a different band plan to me. Mine is the Ofcom one.

Ofcom don't issue a bandplan.
What they issue is the licence parameters as part of Scedule 1 of the licence.

The band plans are IARU/RSGB with an input from the ITU.
I can't believe you are unaware of this as its fundamental to operating on the radio and applies to all bands, not just 2M.
http://www.rsgb.org/spectrumforum/bandplans/rsgb_band_plan_2010.htm

You have lots of lookups on QRZ so I can only assume the comments are due to some sort of confusion. :?

Cheers

Tony

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:41 am

Tropo on 2 meters?? 
Advanced Member

No confusion. I do not respect the RSGB or it's gentlemens agreements and usualy take any comments that the RSGB have with a pinch of salt. The RSGB never listend to me when I have needed help. Any way lets not get into a debate about the RSGB because it's a waste of time because you wont change my mind. Even OFCOM have no trust in the RSGB. if they did then RSGB would be issuing our license. My point is that by the fact that Shaun heard activity on that freq it shows that there is propagation and two guys were actualy using there radios to talk and not just sitting there scratching there gonads and listening to a bit of automated morse

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:52 am

Tropo on 2 meters?? 

M0ZOV wrote:
No confusion. I do not respect the RSGB or it's gentlemens agreements and usualy take any comments that the RSGB have with a pinch of salt. The RSGB never listend to me when I have needed help. Any way lets not get into a debate about the RSGB because it's a waste of time because you wont change my mind. Even OFCOM have no trust in the RSGB. if they did then RSGB would be issuing our license. My point is that by the fact that Shaun heard activity on that freq it shows that there is propagation and two guys were actualy using there radios to talk and not just sitting there scratching there gonads and listening to a bit of automated morse

This is nothing to do with respecting the RSGB and everything to do with respecting fellow amateurs. :(
Bandplans are not a purely national agreement.
The frequency/mode being used would cause disruption to fellow amateurs taking part in experimentation and propagation checks.
As far as I'm concerned talking to others is only a part of amateur radio.
Some would say a small part when all the aspects are taken into account.
If all someone wants to do is chat there are plenty of other options.

Obviously you are unaware, or possibly don't care, that an FM transmission on 144.400 is going to obliterate several beacon frequencies and, if conditions are up, over a wide area.
With the resulting bandwidth it will spread from the MS frequencies, on the low side, across several beacons on the high side of the deviation.

Many beacons are continuously monitored to compile propagation information so, obviously, a rouge transmission is going to make a mess of that.

I don't know and, to be honest, don't care what your problem is with the RSGB but don't let it affect the way you treat fellow amateurs.

After all, some of those
Quote:
just sitting there scratching there gonads and listening to a bit of automated morse
are the ones who make it possible for you to have this hobby at all.
If the powers that be thought it was about nothing other than people endlessly wittering on about meaningless things they could just as easily do on a telephone, they might think the frequencies could be put to better use!

Remember, as far as Ofcom is concerned, amateur radio is
Quote:
(a)for the purpose of self-training in radio communications, including conducting technical investigations

Nothing there about it being purely a means of communication.
The exact opposite in fact.

Cheers

Tony

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Tropo on 2 meters?? 
Advanced Member

As soon as they find a use for a frequency they will take it of us

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:35 pm