It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:08 am

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

Post Bubbling sounds..HF
Im hearing bubbling gurgling sounds on most of the hf bands.. s5, -7, - 9 ish its all 24/7 with clear spots inbetween . Its also random ..nothing like predictable old time base noise every 15kcs or so.. this seems to be fixed at times and other times its moved a tad..80 metres is badly effected . Iv not made a proper in depth log on it as yet but will report back when I do..just thought if i mention type of sound emanating from whatever contraption it is might ring a bell for someone who has suffered with it.

Theres no QSB on it ..it is local. I pick it up on all the main station antennas but very difficult when im out trying to df it with a loop and portable hf set.

One clue.. chap 45 yards away has cat scaring ultrasoniç items all around his garden front and back.. one was battery powered..thats knackred the rest are solar charged..several of them.

One scarer can be heard all day long..sounds like a bloody woodpecker tapping a tree!

I know he's plagued by his neighbour's pussey .. no jokes please we're British.

Any ideas fellas ? Andy.

Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:56 pm
Profile Send private message

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

Post Re: Bubbling sounds..HF
No one else suffering from this burbling bubbling popping sound..any clues ? 73.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:47 am

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

Bubbling gurgling sounds like DSP noise reduction, is it off?

Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:38 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Contributor 2023

GW6RRL wrote:
Bubbling gurgling sounds like DSP noise reduction, is it off?

Good point, higher level DSP noise reduction selected on various radios can sound like that at times in certain circumstances.
I have an old school analogue "Noise blanker" kitted out radio here, a TS680, it has two noise blanker types available, NB1 and NB2, if you select one or the other, (they work in differing ways on different types of extraneous noise), they do what they say on the tin to an extent to be fair, if however you select both simultaneously especially on stronger signals, the radio burbles and warbles like a good one on the received signals, if the NB level control is set at anything other than fairly minimum levels.
None of that gets a mention in the manual, but it soon became very obvious from experience in the practice of actually using it. :)

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:41 pm

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

Thanks for the above 2 suggestions ..no dsp on old collins , drake, Atlas , yaesu , kenwood.. All radio receivers, transcievers picking it up. Iv had a lot on but will be out and about d-efing soon and will report back..not sure if I can upload sound bites on here. Best 73. Andy.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:50 pm

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

Cheers knob, cheers Dave. 73.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:51 pm

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

Just a thought, can you upload it up to a YouTube channel, even better if you've got a rig with a spectrum scope, someone might recognise the noise pattern.

Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:21 am

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

Do you have access to a SDR? Even a cheap RTL dongle device set to its widest bandwidth can reveal a lot of information on the spectrum.

I’m only a listener now, I’ve no interest in exchanging weather reports and sequential numbers, and so I’ve spent a lot of time identifying unwanted spectrum invaders, which are rife in my neighbourhood. The main offenders are PLT Homeplug devices supplied by the likes of BT and Sky. They are supposed to be notched on the HF amateur allocations but they completely wipeout 6m and 4m. In AM mode they sound like ignition noise when idle, and screech when passing data.

The next prolific noise maker is VDSL2 leakage from overhead lines. The upstream allocations are the worst offenders, 3.77MHz to 5.2MHz and 8.5MHz to 12MHz, a third upstream which is around 13.8MHz to 18MHz maybe detectable but generally this is much weaker.

Next are noisy SMPSU’s. These can be on a few spot frequencies or everywhere. Solar inverters, these are particularly noisy during the day. According to Google Earth I have three in my neighbourhood, all in excess of 100m away but I can pick all three up when turning my loop.

For me it’s the VDSL leakage that causes me the biggest headache as I have no any of nulling it out as it’s being radiated from just about every overhead line. Next is the PLT stuff but I’ve found that careful use of the Noiseblanker threshold settings can silence most with minimal distortion to the wanted signals. For SMPSU’s, LED lights, etc, I use a phasing box, with my magnetic receiving loop as the primary antenna and a small active whip as the secondary antenna.

I have to admit that the amount of unwanted interference I suffer from has caused me quite some upset, but I can’t blame the users of the noisy devices, instead I hold the manufacturers, suppliers, and the regulator, responsible.

Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:57 am

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

G0nig and G4.. G-zero replying. G0. Two great replies..Iv just come in from a gig and will reply later today..its late . Thanks . Good info and suggestions . Best 73.

Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:20 am

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

I've just encountered a new source of interference which I'm characterising as the worst so far, to me at least. This is interference from an EV Charger on the next street behind me. This is wiping everything out, including the strongest broadcast stations, between 200KHz and 60MHz. The owner is currently charging his Volvo SUV.

Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:57 pm

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

G0nig, I thought Otley was a quite place ! Half my family live around there. Now worrying about what we are going to face with those chargers. Shocking if they have been through an emc lab and were passed fit !

Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:46 pm

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

RINTINTIN wrote:
G0nig, I thought Otley was a quite place ! Half my family live around there. Now worrying about what we are going to face with those chargers. Shocking if they have been through an emc lab and were passed fit !

Otley is quaint but the infrastructure is old, and instead of replacing it it just gets patched up until the next failure. The big issue this week was the closing of the bridge, meaning that to get from one side to the other meant driving West to Ilkley or East to Arthington to get across the river. I think if you were on foot you were screwed as I believe the footpath was closed as well.

Anywho, I’m rethinking the EV charging issue as it’s something I couldn’t confirm outright. It manifested as S9+ hump of energy between 500KHz and 2MHz with multiple spikes changing phase many times a second. Then from 2MHz to around 22MHz there were sequential humps each with a bandwidth of around 2MHz. Then from 22MHz to around 60MHz there were S9+ spikes separated by 50KHz. These would alternate in phase once a second for five seconds, then go off air for one second, and then the process would repeat.

I’ve only experienced this interference twice in the last few months and I think I was a bit premature in lying the blame at the feet of an EV Charger as I’ve not come across any other reports similar to this.

Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:56 am

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Contributor 2023

Our neighbour is a weird soul, loved his outdoor Christmas lights, which are all cheap imported multi colour changing Chinese specials, and every year come the festive season the noise floor used to go through the roof!
But hey oh it was only Christmas time, each to their own.
Now lately he has got the penchant for twinkling colour changing garden lights all year round! :rolleyes:
His latest offering, this sort of domed tall metal cage affair that has creeping plants up it and is also adorned with all night twinkling led fairy lights, they are on a dusk to dawn sensor or a timer, and come on every night to twinkle away the dark hours whether or not he is in the garden enjoying a late night glass of wine with her indoors on the patio, or both sat inside watching the telly, or as he and her indoors often do off out and about in their mobile home elsewhere!
Whatever, the noise off whatever PSU is running the latest offering of colourful garden display lights has just added another load of crap to the RF spectrum, on top of the other twinkling garden lights they never turn off that I already encounter.
Its like living next to Santa's grotto 365 days of the year!
I have just given up to be honest.

Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:09 am

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

Hi Dave , Hi G0niG , happy to hear its possibly not the car charger...Dave, Iv got one of santas little helpers living next door to me ..her sitting room is very festive all year round even in summer ..the husband is a wind up merchant and i suspect he buys electrical apparatus with me in mind ..he done a filthy trick with a plasma I had to put up with it for 7 years..we discussed it..ofcom came down from Edinburgh and discussed it with him..no fix though.. we had a chat and craftyneighbour agreed to buy lcd led next time telly broke down..he went out and bought another plasmà . I thought it was just a continuation of what I was suffering until I had cause to visit one day and spotted that the telly was not the same make that I had had problems with in the past...and not the same model as was in the later letter I received from ofcom after they had been and tried to sort it...I said .." is that the same telly" knoing full well it wasnt ! He said yes ! Blatant lies. Of course he was entitled to go out and buy another plasma but after ofcom chap had educated him on the plasma score and the damage it was doing polluting the radio spectrum it was a bad let down all round.

His missus has about 4 sets of faiery lights on day and night and the wallwarts cause me some constenation ..one does not know where to start nowadays when it comes to sorting interference out and tracking it down ..its rife.

I have asked my self the question as a member of the rsgb..have the rsgb let us all down ? Are they toothless and spineless..or is it the governments fault that they have allowed all this junk interference to pollute the radio spectrum ?

Anyway just a thought..Amateur radio is a way of life its not just a hobby and should be protected.

What really made my blood boil was that lot down in Essex and various radio emporiums pushing for a technical free ham radio licence..! And all in the interests of selling more radios and digital junk in my opinion..a tech free licence ..fill a form in and your let loose on the ham bands and people with pecuniary intrest were getting behind it ..Well done rsgb on that score for knocking the proposal back..it was absolutely absurd . I could clearly see what the agenda was..money.

Who'd a thought it ..a group of people pushing for a technical free ham radio licence with no real exam ..no radio skills ..no knowledge of radio and this wonderfull technical way of educating oneself ..

Theres the public service band for that ! CB radio also springs to mind . You can talk to each other there.

If anyone wants a tech free ham radio licence then reallly Ham radio is not for you as its all about science and learning and experimentation and always has been.

Theres a few radio emporiums out there that might like a say on the matter now the idea has been firmly kicked into touch. 73 all

Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:27 am

Bubbling sounds..HF 
Advanced Member

RINTINTIN wrote:

I have asked my self the question as a member of the rsgb..have the rsgb let us all down ? Are they toothless and spineless..or is it the governments fault that they have allowed all this junk interference to pollute the radio spectrum ?

Yes to your first question, and yes to your second question. However we also have ourselves to blame, as when OFCOM publish a document for consultation the response from the community is more often than not apathetic. A case in point. The recent release of the proposed changes to the amateur license has garnered quite a lot of of debate in the forums and on air. But how many of those whom have been critical of certain aspects of these changes have bothered to respond? I suspect very few, if any.

Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:56 am