It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:09 am

Half size g5rv 
Advanced Member

Post Half size g5rv
I'm struggling to get an antenna to work in my very limited space of a garden, had a little success with an antron 99 but it's very noisy on the bands and it's vertical, so was thinking of a cobweb but the only location it can go it would be very very close to the house so it's now not an option, so we come to the half size g5rv and my question.... I know the ladder feed ideally needs to be in free space but I can't do that if I'm to fit it into the space I have , so if I mounted the box just under the plastic gutter of the house and run the 2 wires out to the corners of the garden it would fit BUT the ladder feed would have to be run down the wall and then along the wall to where the coax would then connect to the end of it , would this be OK and / or would this work or not , would it cause any problems etc , never had an antenna with a ladder feeder and don't know alot about them ... trying to find the best solution to get on 40m to 6m with very limited space and without annoying the xyl with an unsightly antenna, cheers

mrgiz2020@gmail.com

2e0off@gmail.com

fb group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/192501454231086/

Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:20 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Half size g5rv 
Advanced Member

Post Re: Half size g5rv
Ideally your ladder line should be in free space and away from metal objects, all you can do is try it...
I would certainly consider uk antennas HWEF 40 to 80m excellent building quality and stealthy and the wire is only around 67ft long... click on my signature to go to the site and the owner/ builder is a member of the site.
https://www.ukantennas.co.uk/product/mu ... 20-15-10m/

Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 am
Profile Send private message

Half size g5rv 
Advanced Member

The ladder in the G5 is NOT a feeder, it's part of the antenna, and so has to be away from the wall....
You may fair better with a multiband vertical ?

Paul

Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:41 pm

Half size g5rv 
Advanced Member

G0TSG wrote:
The ladder in the G5 is NOT a feeder, it's part of the antenna, and so has to be away from the wall....
You may fair better with a multiband vertical ?

Well I know nothing about the g5 lol few have said it's fine to run it along the wall with stand offs can but try

mrgiz2020@gmail.com

2e0off@gmail.com

fb group

Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:23 pm

Half size g5rv 
Advanced Member

The other option is to forget the half size G5RV and turn it into a multi band doublet by terminating the end of the ladder line into a 1:1 current choke like this one
Attachment:
IMG_20140112_122057.jpg
IMG_20140112_122057.jpg [ 6.92 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

Then a short length of coaxial into the shack to a matching unit.

Just one tip about noise, you have a nice little shack but I notice there's a lot of computer equipment there, make sure your own house is in order by running the radio off a battery and turn everything else off in the shack and see if the noise goes down. One of the things I've had to do here is to fit a home made mains filter with a couple of ferrite cores to the mains that feeds the shack and it's cut the noise by a couple of S points, the mains is very noisy at the best of times, particularly the mains earth.

Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:43 pm

Half size g5rv 
Advanced Member

G4LNA wrote:
The other option is to forget the half size G5RV and turn it into a multi band doublet by terminating the end of the ladder line into a 1:1 current choke like this one
Attachment:
IMG_20140112_122057.jpg

Then a short length of coaxial into the shack to a matching unit.

Just one tip about noise, you have a nice little shack but I notice there's a lot of computer equipment there, make sure your own house is in order by running the radio off a battery and turn everything else off in the shack and see if the noise goes down. One of the things I've had to do here is to fit a home made mains filter with a couple of ferrite cores to the mains that feeds the shack and it's cut the noise by a couple of S points, the mains is very noisy at the best of times, particularly the mains earth.

Unfortunately I work from home and the pc is never off , the main radio an icom ic-7100 the head is on the table the main section is located on a small stand on the floor in a corner out of the way from the mains etc the noise has been building up over time and only on hf tbh think the antenna is on its way out , but for my location you would expect even station and there dog to be heard on a wet piece of string but it's not the case , will try the g5rv ( half size ) nothing to lose on it if the ladder is ok down and along the wall which most have said its ok ... can but try ... only got 27ft from house to fence to play with and can't go up with any poles etc , so will try it and hope for the best ...

Cheers all for the information and comments, if 1 fails then try the next on the list from comments and messages...

mrgiz2020@gmail.com

2e0off@gmail.com

fb group

Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:29 pm

Half size g5rv 
Advanced Member

I tried a half-size G5RV when I lived in suburbia and it was rubbish - sorry! It's a huge compromose of an aerial, designed to get you on as many bands as possible, not to work well on those bands.

A Cobwebb would work much better. Verticals too, but maybe too noisy. Just a personal view, but I think hams try to cover too many bands especially in restricted locations, I just went for a couple of single-band dipoled when I had restrictions, although the Cobwebb is effectively a load of dipoled.

Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:22 am

Half size g5rv 
Advanced Member

Well guys bought the half size g5rv from a hrd member it's now up working 40m to 6m without any hassle next to no noise on all bands and just working 20w getting out to locations I haven't worked in years, so cheers for the information guys it seems its the old sayings of location and placement most antennas I have tried all failed so it might not work for all or work at all but it works for me here ...

It's under the gutter almost centre of the house and then each leg goes out to the 2 corners of the garden that have plastic tubes rising from the fence to keep some height from things in the garden and works very well...

mrgiz2020@gmail.com

2e0off@gmail.com

fb group

Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:34 pm