It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:34 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2024

Post CW Ops - CW Academy
CW Ops run a free CW academy that takes an amateur from being non-code to 25wpm.

The sessions are run over Zoom and an online web interface, there are two sessions per week in an 8 week semester.
You start with absolute beginner and go through four stages.

Alongside this, they run a slow contest on Friday nights - speed is limited to sub 20wpm, proficient CW Ops are not allowed to 'Run', they Search and Pounce on the Academy students.

I found the course very good and it helped me get back into receiving on my CW.

If you'd like to learn CW, here's the link https://cwops.org/cw-academy/

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:27 pm
Profile Send private message

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2024

Post Re: CW Ops - CW Academy
Any ideas if the times given are GMT etc?

I have a feeling I looked in to their Academy before and found that the times given were for Stateside (which would make it really late in the evening here, or even during the night).

Or do they have some UK based tutors now?

Thanks!

73, Mark...

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 am

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Advanced Member

They have uk based instructors too. FISTS can also help.you learn Morse

www.Bantenna.co.uk

Will a dilithium xtal set send the signals faster or.just warp my key?

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:43 am

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2024

Hiya Mark.

They run in semesters. They can accommodate various times of the day to work with you.

It's worth dropping them a mail to see when the next course is.

Fists is a great course, but CW OPs online learning tool is brilliant,

Kev

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:18 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Advanced Member

Or failing that you can learn with the G4FON software (Koch method)
http://www.g4fon.net/

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:10 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2023

I am currently a student of CW Ops. The UK timing of the Advanced class is 17:00 GMT. The Intermediate an hour earlier and the Basic an hour earlier (15:00 GMT). The formal course runs on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Peter G3VNH

Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:57 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Advanced Member

I'd love to be able to learn CW and the CW Ops Academy looks like a great resource, however I'm a shift worker which would mean I would miss half of the online classes, so I guess that rules me out.

For license training you have sites like BRATS and GM6DX, where you can view the modules/lessons at your own pace and a time that suits you. Doe's anyone know of any CW training sites like this where you can learn at your own pace and time? I understand that you have different sites like LCWO.net and all the different trainer app's etc but just would like to feel more engaged in what I am doing.

Any help or suggestions?

Neil

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:28 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2024

I've been looking in to signing up for one of their courses, but I noticed that one or two (American) students mentioned that places were much sought after, and that prospective students might have to wait up to a year to obtain a place on a course.

Has anyone in the UK found this to be the case?

Thanks, Mark...

Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:08 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2023

The mind boggles, memorise the code, then use it, its that easy, it really is, I was self taught and then didnt use the code for 15 years as i took a break from the hobby picked it up again in 20 minutes on air.

Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:43 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2024

G0JUR wrote:
The mind boggles, memorise the code, then use it, its that easy, it really is, I was self taught and then didnt use the code for 15 years as i took a break from the hobby picked it up again in 20 minutes on air.

Good for you! Doesn't answer my question though. :rolleyes:

73, Mark...

Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:42 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2023

G0KZZ wrote:
G0JUR wrote:

Good for you! Doesn't answer my question though. :rolleyes:

73, Mark...

your quite correct... :cry:

Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:12 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2023

G0KZZ wrote:

I have a feeling I looked in to their Academy before and found that the times given were for Stateside (which would make it really late in the evening here, or even during the night).

Thanks!

73, Mark...

Hi Mark
The times given on the CWOps website are usually given in UTC as it's a global thing, but most of the classes are allocated in local time (or the time you request).
There are some UK based advisors, doing courses at different levels at various times. If shift work affects your available times, you can be paired up with an advisor whose time zone suits your availability. The beginner, basic and intermediate classes are currently the most popular.

There's nothing to stop you downloading all the course material from the website and going solo, either, but you do miss out on the motivation and camaraderie of the zoom meetings.

Chris G0JPS

Running a bareback KX3 into a shonky homebrew vertical.
QRP: hope springs eternal.

Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:14 am

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2024

G0JPS wrote:
G0KZZ wrote:

Thanks!

73, Mark...

Hi Mark
The times given on the CWOps website are usually given in UTC as it's a global thing, but most of the classes are allocated in local time (or the time you request).
There are some UK based advisors, doing courses at different levels at various times. If shift work affects your available times, you can be paired up with an advisor whose time zone suits your availability. The beginner, basic and intermediate classes are currently the most popular.

There's nothing to stop you downloading all the course material from the website and going solo, either, but you do miss out on the motivation and camaraderie of the zoom meetings.

Chris G0JPS

Hiya Chris.

The question I was referring to above was:
Quote:
I've been looking in to signing up for one of their courses, but I noticed that one or two (American) students mentioned that places were much sought after, and that prospective students might have to wait up to a year to obtain a place on a course.

I'd been thinking about joining in with the sessions for some time, so after 'signing up' for a semester the other day I started to find posts around the web from previous students mentioning having to wait a year or more for a place (these were all American students). That's why I was wondering if the Academy has the same level of popularity in the UK.

When you mentioned , "...There's nothing to stop you downloading all the course material from the website and going solo, either, but you do miss out on the motivation and camaraderie of the zoom meetings", this rings a bell with me. I have been looking through the material for the various levels/grades of skill, and trying out a few of the ideas, but I think without the 'motivation and camaraderie' you mentioned my interest is doomed to failure.

As G0JUR mentioned above, he was able to just drop back on air after a fifteen year hiatus and take up where he left off. In my case I had a long wait for a specific callsign to be issued (back in the days when they were issued in strict sequence), so there was a long delay from when I learnt Morse to being able to get on air with it (for the younger readers, it was illegal to use Morse Code on the Amateur bands unless you held the required class/type of license to do so, though later on it was possible to apply for an NOV to use modulated CW on the VHF/UHF bands).

By the time I had set up a suitable installation for HF we were already many months down the road from learning the Code and taking the test, and this was where the 'rot' set in. In theory I should have been able to just put out a call and carry on QSOs without an issue, BUT, the practice and training for the Morse Test never prepared you for such things! Yes, I could send and receive letters and numbers all day long (that's all we were expected to know), but to carry on a structured conversation in Morse was totally alien to me, and I suspect MANY other folks too.

The longer I spent sitting in front of an HF set not daring to transmit in case I made a total arse of things, the more reluctant I became about even considering transmitting. :shock:

I think my daughter summed things up when she said that "I have social anxiety about using Morse" :lol:

This is why I think that in my case something like CW Academy will be the making or breaking of any aspirations I have to actually use Morse on air. A lot of folks will say, "Oh just have a go, it's just a hobby, no one cares if you make a mistake", but in my head, when I sit in front of a fully warmed up HF set with key plugged in all ready to go, I have the robot from Lost In Space inside my head going "Warning Will Robinson, Danger Danger!!!" :blush:

73, Mark...

Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:55 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2023

G0KZZ wrote:

A lot depends on which level course you'd be wanting to do. Reading your post further I'd probably recommend Fundamental or Basic (You know the code already, it's just speed and head-copy to work on), and there are definitely advisors in the UK (and close by in Europe) at those levels, and their zoom sessions are usually Mondays and Thursdays at 1900 local time.

G0KZZ wrote:
I'd been thinking about joining in with the sessions for some time, so after 'signing up' for a semester the other day I started to find posts around the web from previous students mentioning having to wait a year or more for a place (these were all American students). That's why I was wondering if the Academy has the same level of popularity in the UK.

It's probably too late to get on the Jan/Feb semester now as they've just done all the allocations. Edit: Keep an eye out for an email from K7OJL, I'm told you've been allocated to his class :good:
Last semester, I had 4 American students from various time zones (including Hawaii), the previous semester 3 Brits and one American (3 of whom went on to become advisors). This time I have 1 from the US, 1 from UK and 1 from Germany. That's at Advanced level, however; the Intermediate and Basic classes are far more populated. I think the popularity of activities like SOTA and POTA have boosted interest in CW a lot recently.

G0KZZ wrote:
A lot of folks will say, "Oh just have a go, it's just a hobby, no one cares if you make a mistake", but in my head, when I sit in front of a fully warmed up HF set with key plugged in all ready to go, I have the robot from Lost In Space inside my head going "Warning Will Robinson, Danger Danger!!!"

I still get that, and I'm just starting my 4th year as a CW Academy advisor. It's perfectly normal, in fact anyone who doesn't is probably on a watch list somewhere ;)

Running a bareback KX3 into a shonky homebrew vertical.
QRP: hope springs eternal.

Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:53 pm

CW Ops - CW Academy 
Contributor 2023

Mark write yourself out a crib sheet of what you want to send, then call cq and use the crib sheet to send your info, if you call cq you control the qso and what info is exchanged, then you may be asked a question but will most likely only be about a repeat of your name/qth/ radio etc. use the crib sheet for all qso,s until your confident enough to do away with it, I find an afternoon sent using cw to be very relaxing when done at your own pace.

Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:04 pm