It is currently Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:59 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Hermes Lite 2 
Novice Member

Post Hermes Lite 2
Anybody using the HL2? I'm pretty tempted but would appreciate your impressions of it's performance before pulling the trigger.
Regards Graham.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:42 pm
Profile Send private message

Hermes Lite 2 
Novice Member

Post Re: Hermes Lite 2
Well I took the plunge, ordered one, it arrived in a week. Been using it for a couple of weeks now, couldn't be more pleased.
Finding my way round Git-Hub to download latest firmware bit of a trial, but updating rig no problem.
Receiver seems eerily quiet but receives everything at least as well as my Red Pitaya sdr or FT450d & TX is as clean as a whistle on transmit, imd down -48dB when using pure signal. Just need to sort out an amp as 5 Watts doesn't make much impression.
73 Graham

Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:55 pm

Hermes Lite 2 
Advanced Member

Interested in one myself, but does it need a filter bank pre amplifier? I would want at least 50 W output, where does it all end before a secondhand Anan 100 makes more sense and less hassle to make a tidy, boxed job? Your ongoing experiences appreciated, thanks.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:37 am

Hermes Lite 2 
Novice Member

When you place an order with Makerfabs in China You have the option to select a matching lpf board & a very nice enclosure for the whole shooting match. I'm still loving mine, at the moment its monitoring 10 bands ft8 & Wspr simultaneously, but when the novelty wears off I'll have to put my mind to upping the power a bit. I've been considering one of the RM offerings, the pure signal will make short work of cleaning up the output if necessary. Some people on the forum have been using Hardrock amps & 1or 2 the new Xeigu axp125 (very nice but starts getting into s/h Anan territory). Currently there's no cat interface but a mod is available if you need auto band switching.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Hermes Lite 2 

I'm a bit late to the party, but have had an HL2 for over a year now and it is an amazing transceiver for the price.
I have mine hooked up to a Hardrock 50 and made an interface so the HR50 'follows' the HL2 on band changes.
With a Bluetooth wireless headset hooked to the PC, it makes a nice tangle free setup.
The new Makerfabs enclosure endplates are PCB material and have a host of options you can add to the HL2 funtionality.

There is good software support for Windows/Linux/Raspberry-Pi.

As noted, buy the HL2, the N2ADR filter bank and the enclosure and you have a nifty 5w transceiver.

An alternative amplifier is supposed to be the 'MX-P50M' style Chinese amp as apparently will accept the HL2 band signalling.

I also have a Hercules USB midi 'DJ controller' hooked up to my setup and via PowerSDR/Thetis software makes an SDR with knobs on !!

Nigel
G4ZAL

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:21 am