It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:02 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Understanding DMR Talk groups 
Novice Member

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:40 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Salisbury
Feedback: 3 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Understanding DMR Talk groups
Trying to get a bit of an understanding of DMR before buying something.

If I have it right the local repeater has two talk groups, TG1 which is local traffic and TG9 which accesses a group of repeaters in a cluster.

Here is my question. Presumably if I set my radio to TG1 and listen I will hear any local traffic just as I would with a normal analogue box, does the same apply on TG9 ( or indeed any other TG ) or do I first need to transmit breifly on the TG to open the channel ?

Also, say I hear someone call via another repeater on TG9 and reply to them does my QSO occupy all the TG9 of all the boxes in the cluster or do I then by agreement with the other station change to another TG ?


Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:41 am
Profile Send private message

 Understanding DMR Talk groups 
Advanced Member

Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 163
Location: Scunthorpe
Feedback: 6 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Understanding DMR Talk groups
If the TG are the default / static on the repeater then you should be able to RX without needing to TX.

TX is required to change the TG.

I would of thought when you TX on TG9 for the cluster you will be heard on all linked repeaters.

Which repeater is it and which cluster ? I can look it up and give you any further thoughts.


Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 pm
Profile Send private message

 Understanding DMR Talk groups 
Intermediate Member

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 pm
Posts: 93
Location: North Derbyshire
Feedback: 2 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Understanding DMR Talk groups
G8WBO wrote:
Trying to get a bit of an understanding of DMR before buying something.

If I have it right the local repeater has two talk groups, TG1 which is local traffic and TG9 which accesses a group of repeaters in a cluster.

Here is my question. Presumably if I set my radio to TG1 and listen I will hear any local traffic just as I would with a normal analogue box, does the same apply on TG9 ( or indeed any other TG ) or do I first need to transmit breifly on the TG to open the channel ?

Also, say I hear someone call via another repeater on TG9 and reply to them does my QSO occupy all the TG9 of all the boxes in the cluster or do I then by agreement with the other station change to another TG ?


No not quite, it does not work like that, yes you have two slots, slot 1 and slot 2, then you have talkgroups devided off them, so you have slot1 localTG9. and slot2 Local TG9 both them are usually classed as local so in infect you have two repeater in one, but then you then have more TG's ie TG1= Worldwide, TG2=Europe, TG235=UK wide, then you have what is called User activated (TG80) which connects say your local repeater direct to another one (of the same type).
I have put a link of my local cluster, and it also shows how the TG's are set out:
https://www.northerndmrcluster.com/talkgroups.html

_________________
Yaesu FT991A
Yaesu FT9800
Icom 706Mk2 G
Yaesu FT2D
TYT380
Ascom 550SE
Pi-Star
AllstarMicroHub
Steve G6YRK :wave:


Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:37 pm
Profile Send private message

 Understanding DMR Talk groups 
Advanced Member

Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 163
Location: Scunthorpe
Feedback: 6 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Understanding DMR Talk groups
Steve,

So your cluster would be accessed on Talkgroup 860 ?

Just checking my understanding is correct as we described things differently.


Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:24 am
Profile Send private message

 Understanding DMR Talk groups 
Contributor 2018
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:32 pm
Posts: 4385
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
Feedback: 19 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Understanding DMR Talk groups
It's not worth it Just to listen to Daleks. Get on s20 or 144.300 instead...

_________________
David. G4YVM


Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:08 am
Profile Send private message

 Understanding DMR Talk groups 
Intermediate Member

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 pm
Posts: 93
Location: North Derbyshire
Feedback: 2 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Understanding DMR Talk groups
m3hku wrote:
Steve,

So your cluster would be accessed on Talkgroup 860 ?

Just checking my understanding is correct as we described things differently.

yes

_________________
Yaesu FT991A
Yaesu FT9800
Icom 706Mk2 G
Yaesu FT2D
TYT380
Ascom 550SE
Pi-Star
AllstarMicroHub
Steve G6YRK :wave:


Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:21 pm
Profile Send private message

 Understanding DMR Talk groups 
Novice Member

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:40 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Salisbury
Feedback: 3 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Understanding DMR Talk groups
m3hku wrote:
If the TG are the default / static on the repeater then you should be able to RX without needing to TX.

TX is required to change the TG.

I would of thought when you TX on TG9 for the cluster you will be heard on all linked repeaters.

Which repeater is it and which cluster ? I can look it up and give you any further thoughts.


Thank you for your thoughts. I can now see that TS1 TG9 is just the local box. TS2 TG950 is the SW cluster.

The repeater is GB7SP


Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:56 pm
Profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.