It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

New UK Entry Level Licence proposed 

Post New UK Entry Level Licence proposed
RSGB VHF Manager John Regnault G4SWX has set out his proposal for a new Entry Level amateur radio licence

John's proposal was posted on the RSGB-Workshop reflector and this copy of the post has been provided with his permission:

There has been lots of discussion on this reflector and elsewhere from amateurs that do not think that the hobby should be allowed to change because they like things the way that they imagined that they used to be!

The basic FACT is this reluctance to change, the desire to involve radio clubs (stranglehold?) in the exam process and a number of elected RSGB people who are afraid of what the membership might think is assisting the hobby along to a slow death.

I have a really hard job justifying the VHF/UHF bands based on their current usage. Yet I have amateurs saying that we need more repeater channels when many of the repeaters in operation are rarely used.

There is an increasing need to attract a greater number of younger age people into amateur radio. The current 3 tier licence regime; Foundation, Intermediate, Full, whilst it is maintaining a steady annual number of candidates has, over recent years seen a marked decline in attracting younger people. In 2006 25% of Foundation exam candidates were under 21 years of age by 2013 this had declined to 14%, today it is even lower.

I am a highly technical radio amateur, yet I see plenty of room for people in the hobby with no technical skills whatsoever. The amateur radio hobby embraces aspects of both technology and personal development in communications. To date the amateur examination has required all candidates to demonstrate an understanding of radio technology which might be appropriate as the amateur licence permits modification and manufacture of transmitting equipment. This technical requirement can be a significant perceived barrier to younger people who otherwise would like to investigate radio communications beyond the capabilities offered by licence free CB or PMR446 transceivers. There are many other facets of the hobby that are about communicating and personal development in communications rather than building and modifying radio equipment. Technical skills, just as operating procedures, Morse if you like, can be learnt once somebody is hooked into the hobby.

So how about this: A Proposal for a Beginner Amateur Licence

A low-power VHF/UHF (144/430 MHz) entry class 'Beginner Amateurā€™ licence

ā€¢ Targeted at newcomers and offering opportunity for involvement by youth organisations.
ā€¢ Amateur Callsigns
ā€¢ A relatively simple online examination with a pass certificate issued by the RSGB.
ā€¢ A clear path for further progression with the online ā€˜Beginnerā€™ exam being accepted as exemption/credits for part of the Foundation exam
ā€¢ Equipment to be used will be limited to low power, 5W output, <25W ERP, CE approved VHF/UHF FM/Digital Voice transceivers. (To protect other users of the VHF spectrum in the UK and nearby nations)
ā€¢ Equipment to be unmodified
ā€¢ Abuse identified by AROS will result in licence revocation
ā€¢ Callsigns issued to use an additional letter to clearly identify ā€˜Beginner ā€˜licensees.
ā€¢ ā€˜Beginnerā€™ licensees to be permitted to operate amateur club stations under supervision of a full licensee.
ā€¢ Process administered by RSGB with weekly updates provided to Ofcom
ā€¢ Launch initiated by RSGB including outreach by local radio clubs to forge links with youth organisations.
ā€¢ RSGB to investigate whether ā€˜Beginnerā€™ amateur licence could be accepted as part of personal development and training by established youth organisations (Scouts, Air Cadets etc)
ā€¢ Minimal cost of administration for Ofcom
ā€¢ The training and development of communications skills by young people taking up a ā€˜Beginnerā€™ amateur license will ensue additional benefit to ā€˜UK plcā€™.

A proposal for a Beginner Amateur Radio licence
Essex Ham have interviewed RSGB VHF Manager John Regnault G4SWX about his proposal for a Beginners Amateur Radio licence

In October 2019, an interesting thread appeared online in the RSGB Workshop group about a possible future change of direction for the hobby.

Central to the debate was ā€œA Proposal for a Beginner Amateur Licenceā€ ā€“ to encourage a new generation get a taste of the hobby, removing some of the barriers that weā€™ve established to keep people out.

Read the Essex Ham story and listen to the interview with John Regnault G4SWX at
https://www.essexham.co.uk/beginner-amateur-licence

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:48 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Contributor 2024

Post Re: New UK Entry Level Licence proposed
I'll get the pop corn in, should be an entertaining post! :D

Views posted on here are purely personal.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:57 am

Advanced Member

I thought that was the aim of the FL.

May be wrong, I wasn't here when it was introduced.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:11 am
Profile Send private message

BANNED

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:28 am

Contributor 2023

Looks like a Troll post to me..... :D :D :D

Evan

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:07 am

Contributor 2024

GW7UNV wrote:
Looks like a Troll post to me..... :D :D :D

Evan

Its not!

Views posted on here are purely personal.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:52 am

Contributor 2023

More unenforceable power limits! :lol:

Give it an age and time limit, then fine....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FAFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:11 pm

BANNED

Sounds good to me 0-18 years old eligible at 20 must progress.... we don't need anymore adult toe dippers.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Contributor 2023

"ā€¢ Abuse identified by AROS will result in licence revocation"
There's me thinking AROS had been disbanded and replaced by the Operating Advisory Service, OAS...

Evan

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Contributor 2023

Can someone clarify, is this a proposal for a fourth level to be added?
If it is I would humbly suggest a fourth entry level already exists for people to have a dabble at radio, and see if they want to take it as a hobby any further, it's currently known as licence free 446 MHz, and licence free legal 27 MHz!
A UHF band, FM and Digital, and an HF band AM/FM plus SSB, for gratis, no qualifications needed at all, and no licence, and no effort other than buying the damn equipment!
If they then like the idea of "radio communications", and it really takes their fancy, the choice is there for ANY of them to progress on to the current three tier amateur licence path surely?
Or am I missing something?

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Contributor 2023

G0BHD wrote:
If it is I would humbly suggest a fourth entry level already exists for people to have a dabble at radio, and see if they want to take it as a hobby any further, it's currently known as licence free 446 MHz, and licence free legal 27 MHz!
A UHF band, FM and Digital, and an HF band AM/FM plus SSB, for gratis, no qualifications needed at all, and no licence, and no effort other than buying the damn equipment!
If they then like the idea of "radio communications", and it really takes their fancy, the choice is there for ANY of them to progress on to the current three tier amateur licence path surely?

But the RSGB don't get any money out of those.............!!

Evan

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Contributor 2023

GW7UNV wrote:
G0BHD wrote:

But the RSGB don't get any money out of those.............!!

Evan

To be honest I am not that bothered about what the RSGB raises revenue from, but I truly can not see the point in a new fourth level, if indeed that is their proposal!
Personally I believe the hobby is as embracing to all types, with the current three levels, as it needs to be.
I long ago gave up worrying about what each of the three get allocated for their efforts, but I simply can not fathom another fourth lower step on the amateur ladder!
I don't know why they don't just reduce the whole lot to one relatively simple level, half a step up from FL, and have done with!

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:42 pm

BANNED

Dave they will water it done to the point where joining the RSGB gets you access to some of the amateur bands.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:02 pm

Contributor 2023

M0VMT wrote:
Dave they will water it done to the point where joining the RSGB gets you access to some of the amateur bands.

:)
Don't give them ideas Mark! ;)
How simple exactly does it need making?
I stand by what I have said, if you want to have a first time dabble, no experience, no exams, no licence?, 446 and 27!
Want to take it any further?.....a three level amateur radio structure already exists! ;)
What damn "new" call sign would they invent for them anyway?
Re-issued G2 plus 2's? :rolleyes:
Maybe they could get some 26 division ones specially allocated! :)
I gave up on the amateur radio structure quite some time ago!
Carry on!, I will be dead before I become overly bothered! :lol:

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:17 pm

BANNED

Great time to be a m3 if this comes about they will feel like master Yoda on vhf and uhf...
Yes young radio operator I will show you the ways of a master jedi, how to work the world on 10 watts young jedi.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 pm