It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

Post Re: 144MHz UKAC reminder
G7IGB wrote:
gw8asd wrote:
Good fun anyway and interesting to see what can be managed - G4DEZ with 34 squares in, about, a dozen countries!

That's an impressive total under any conditions, as I don't think I've worked a dozen countries in total on 2m. :)

It's good to see that the 144MHz UKAC is growing in popularity, especially with the summer months on the way. :)

I have 55 dxcc 362 loc best DX 3032 kms to RN6bn on Es. I dont run huge QRO max out is 200w so thats only 3dB up on most new rigs! Shame I did not do that lot on 2m last night DXCC count last night was I think 8

Reg G8VHI

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:45 pm
Profile Send private message

144MHz UKAC reminder 

G7IGB wrote:
G8VHI wrote:
I have 55 dxcc 362 loc best DX 3032 kms to RN6bn on Es.

Very impressive totals there Reg and these show that 2m really is a great band and worth all the effort. :)

INDEED.
superb band always has been just these days underused, now in the old days it was really busy.
mark.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:58 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

g1pie wrote:
superb band always has been just these days underused, now in the old days it was really busy.

Exactly Mark,thats what i mean its more or less dead on there these days when theres no contest, a great shame really.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

I find how dead 144Mhz is, depends entirely on how much effort in terms of antennas and station performance you put in.

Even with 50 watts and a small beam its possible to work stations around mainland Europe on a regular basis,depending on knowing the propagation and choosing your moment.

Its still a band full of surprises which is what makes it so fascinating.

Personally I much prefer 144Mhz to HF where you can work anywhere in the world pretty easily if theres anyone there to be worked.

Even on 10Metres nobody is going to be working somewhere thats not been done before.
I think its fair to say that pretty much every path that can be worked has been worked on HF...however the VHF/UHF bands continue to provide new paths and interesting contacts,Regs contact with RN6BN being one of them!

A transatlantic contact on 144Mhz still remains the most elusive one of all,but as we understand more about propagation the nearer we get to actually making it.

For me its that element of the unknown that continues to keep me on 144Mhz

G4RRA

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:15 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

Hi there,we are not saying its dead for international dx or long distance inter G,just locally within a 30 mile radius for local talk, as Mark said its a lot quieter than it used to be.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:21 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 

M6SPW wrote:
gw8asd wrote:
In reality, when working crossed polarisation, there is around 26db of loss so the 4.5dB (you don't say if it is dBi or dBd) still means it is more than 20dB down on a horizontal dipole.

Its a Watson W-50, it does'nt state on the manufacturers specs as to whether is dbd or dbi
This, in its self, would concern me as the figure has no meaning,.
M6SPW wrote:
either way it does very well for what it is,obviously its not going to do aswell as a flatside antenna, but it serves its purpose well enough for me in my restricted area.

"Flatside!!!!!!!" WTF !!!! Do you mean - horizontal polarisation??????
M6SPW wrote:
Also i can hear within a 30 mile radius no problems,and thats considered as local,so its irrelevant,the SSB area is dead compared to FM simplex on 2 meters locally,no point trying to say otherwise as this is the fact of the matter for local coms,if you use horizontal polarisation then obviously this will be on the contrary.

No! Local is 200km on 2M!
M6SPW wrote:
Hi there,we are not saying its dead for international dx or long distance inter G,just locally within a 30 mile radius for local talk, as Mark said its a lot quieter than it used to be.

One of the reasons it is "a lot quieter than it used to be" is the law of diminishing returns.
Everyone expects it to be difficult, so it is. :(
It never was a band for "local chat" that I can recall.
It was always much more to do with "pushing the boundaries".
The exception being long distance mobile contacts.
I suppose that was still "pushing the boundaries".

So the important things are :-
2M SSB operators are , rarely, interested in a long chat.
It's more to do with which mode works, at a particular time, to make a potential path work.
The longer people mess about with verticals, on SSB, the more difficult it becomes!!!

You are in a reasonable location so reason ablecontacts should be obtainable.

Cheers

Tony

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 

G7IGB wrote:
gw8asd wrote:
No radio this afternoon. Beer testing in Chester.

It's alright for some! :lol:

Well!
I can confirm there was no slacking. :D
The Brewery Tap was spot on.
The Bear and Billet was its usual self and the Ship was maintaining its, recently acquired, reputation. :D
Then back to Wrexham to keep them on their toes. :D

It looks as if a return to the Billet is called for to on Thursday, tomorrow, as some friends are playing there and, just to add to the temptation, it is steak night. :D

It looks like camper van on the Roodee again. :lol:

Cheers

Tony

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:11 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

M6SPW wrote:

Well on 70cms I have worked 23 dxcc 148 loc, Some of the best I have worked are UB5,0h(twice!),YL and EA8. As G4RRA has said its what you put in! However a good QTH is the key! Even on 23cms with just 10 watts out and a 67 ele I have worked 67 loc! Its can be done even with low power!

Reg G8VHI

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:32 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

Tony you are a man that knows everything and has an answer for everything regardless of the topic/subject, a truelly unique individual for sure IMO,you must enter yourself as a contestant on mastermind as you know more than any other person i have come across online :wink:
My opinion still stands that 2 meters SSB is quiet compared to 2 meters FM simplex within a 30 mile radius whatever region of the country you are in,its a much underused segment and mode of the band with less users per square mile than there used to be,and i know im not alone on my thoughts on this matter as Mark also agreed,anyway im off to catch to some action on 80m as 2 meters SSB is totally silent around this 30 mile radius of my QTH tonight since theres no contest,toodle pip :)

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 

M6SPW wrote:
Tony you are a man that knows everything and has an answer for everything regardless of the topic/subject, a truelly unique individual for sure IMO,you must enter yourself as a contestant on mastermind as you know more than any other person i have come across online :wink:
My opinion still stands that 2 meters SSB is quiet compared to 2 meters FM simplex within a 30 mile radius whatever region of the country you are in,its a much underused segment and mode of the band with less users per square mile than there used to be,and i know im not alone on my thoughts on this matter as Mark also agreed,anyway im off to catch to some action on 80m as 2 meters SSB is totally silent around this 30 mile radius of my QTH tonight since theres no contest,toodle pip :)

Yes shaun it is quiet locally however i do hear people further away when on the beam pointing south east kent way you do hear other stations on but it still does not have the traffic it had in the mid 80s when i got the ticket and had a ft290 and a jaybeam.
and as for tony's and reg's wisdom look at the call sign they have been around a long time in ham radio. also the reason fm is busy is because more people buy fm only radio's and find easier than messing around with beams and rotaters.

mark.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:13 am
Profile Send private message WWW

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

Yes shaun it is quiet locally however i do hear people further away when on the beam pointing south east kent way you do hear other stations on but it still does not have the traffic it had in the mid 80s when i got the ticket and had a ft290 and a jaybeam.
and as for tony's and reg's wisdom look at the call sign they have been around a long time in ham radio. also the reason fm is busy is because more people buy fm only radio's and find easier than messing around with beams and rotaters.

mark.[/quote]

Me wise never foolish yes! As for FM V SSB or in Tony's case AM too( I cant go that far back hi) There has always been more to hear localy on FM.
Reg G8VHI

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:43 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

g1pie wrote:
and as for tony's and reg's wisdom look at the call sign they have been around a long time in ham radio.

Hi Mark, yes i well recognise their callsign and respect what it must of took to acheive it, it stiill does'nt make them god like and have an answer for everything,well accept for Reg,he is the Archbishop of Nuneaton eh Reg :wink:
Even Reg and yourself Mark agree SSB on 2 meters is dead compared to FM simplex,guess all of us must be wrong.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:52 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 

M6SPW wrote:

I think you will find my postings make the opposite very clear. :)
I've only been licenced for, just under, 44 years and, as my postings indicate, the really great thing about the hobby is that there is always something new to try.
I've only ventured below 50MHz on odd occasions. Probably not much more than 300 QSOs ever.
So my knowledge of HF antennas, propagation, greyline etc. is minimal.
I suppose you could also say my interest in HF is also minimal, although I have had a dabble on 10M in the last few weeks.
Both my hobby, and work, experiences have been either VHF up to microwave or the opposite end with audio and terminal equipment.
I probably know more about encryption techniques than 20M DX. :lol:

So, hopefully, I am looking forward to plenty of new experiences, EME would be good and I really must finish the 13cm setup, over the coming years.
Plenty to learn and lots of experienced people out there to help. :)

M6SPW wrote:

I've not been saying that 2M SSB is bustling with constant activity, merely that it's not as bad as some think.
As others have said, it is down to the amount of effort you put into it.
In the early to mid 70s 2M SSB was very busy at all times.
It was not unusual to go on at 2am and receive two or three replies to a cq call. :D
But those were different times.
G8s were limited to 2M and above and, in addition, almost all were in the hobby because of an interest in construction and theory.
Initially there were no repeaters and very little FM.
I operated 2M SSB mobile, as did many of us who were out all day in vehicles going from job to job.
keeping in touch was rarely a problem and, on my journey from Manchester to Cheltenham, I could keep in contact with a station in Chorlton(Manchester) for the whole distance.

The advent of repeaters was an interesting project to start with but, I feel, the outcome has been fixed stations with poor antennas and substandard systems using them as a crutch. :(
As I've said before, those who put so much effort into getting approval of a system to assist mobiles must wonder why they bothered.

I've no idea on how busy, or otherwise, FM and repeaters are as I rarely venture to that end of the bands.

You are quite correct that 2M SSB is underutalised but the "'I'm off to 80mtrs" attitude will not improve matters.
Nor will a number of stations migrating from FM, with their vertical antennas, and using it for local chit chat.
It needs people who will put some effort and experimentation into things.

Don't forget that just because you can't hear voices there may well be activity on EME or MS.

Not going on because there is no one else around within 30 miles is a bit perverse. :?
I'd be inclined not to go on unless there is someone more than 200km away. :lol:

Anyway.
Back to the radio.
Not 2M as 6M is open to EA, ZB and CT and the CT beacon is loud on 4M. :D
PI7CIS on 2M and 70cm are normal strength.

Cheers

Tony

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:31 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

gw8asd wrote:

You are quite correct that 2M SSB is underutalised but the "'I'm off to 80mtrs" attitude will not improve matters.

:lol: im not abandoning 2 meters ssb,i was just going downto 80m for some night time dx,
so no attitude from me mate :wink:

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

g1aji wrote:

Also I wouldnt rise to the bait Tony if I was you mate, the op on this thread questioning your knowledge is obviously three sheets to the wind, a band transient and enjoying baiting you.

Nobodys baiting anybody mate,this is a forum to discuss/debate amateur related topics,so you are well out of line there,its just a friendly debate about how underused 2 meters ssb is within a 30 mile radius compared to fm simplex and Mark and Reg agreed with me,Tony failed to.

And i was'nt questioning his knowledge,also i would'nt expect Tony to be sucked into some kind of confrontation or react to one anyway,so lets drop that accusation please.
As for band transient,yes maybe I am,so is everybody as we all like to use new bands for self experimentation as thats what the hobby of radio is all about,or maybe im missing something??? :?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:37 pm