It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

144MHz UKAC reminder 

Post 144MHz UKAC reminder
The 144MHz UK Activity Contest takes place between 1900 and 2130UTC (2000 - 2230 local) on Tuesday the 6th of April.

166 entries last moth so, probably, around 200 active stations.

That exceeds, by quite a wide margin, any of the sessions last year.

A note with last months results stresses the need to keep to band plans and to leave the calling channel free

There will be those who do not want to take part and, hopefully, having established contact on the calling channel they can QSY.
Ideally to an all modes frequency away from the contest.

It is suggested that if your dial indicates between 144.295 and 144.305 you are too close.

There has, apparently, also been a problem with entries in an incorrect format.

It should be -
Time - Callsign worked - the report, and serial number you give them - the report, and serial number they give you - their locator.

When giving reports, on the air, it should be -
report - serial number - your locator.

If you give it in another sequence it can be difficult for those using computer logging and can also confusing for those trying to make out a week signal.

These comments, obviously, apply to any contest but have been identified in particular relating to 2M.
Cheers

Tony

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:56 pm
Profile Send private message

144MHz UKAC reminder 

Post Re: 144MHz UKAC reminder
GOOD ADVICE TONY........WILL YOU BE FLAT SIDE...........LOL.
MARK.

-------------------------------------------
RAOTA, RSGB, WAB.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:24 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

144MHz UKAC reminder 

I may well be "flatside" later as we are just doing the rounds in Chester :D
a very nice pint of Porter at the moment.
Back to the Bear & Billet for the folk night later. :D
A few more stops on the way. :lol:

Cheers

Tony

Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:34 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 

What a smashing night 21qso's worked including GW8ASD many thanks tony.
i do enjoy 144mhz ssb.
mark.

RAOTA, RSGB, WAB.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:52 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Contributor 2018

And at 22.30hrs the guns fell silent on the western front,boy the silence was instantaneous and deafening :lol: ,
back to nearly 24/7 of white noise untill the next time :wink:

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:35 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 

M6SPW wrote:
And at 22.30hrs the guns fell silent on the western front,boy the silence was instantaneous and deafening :lol: ,
back to nearly 24/7 of white noise untill the next time :wink:

Well the frantic CQ calls stopped but there were still half a dozen chats going on after the contest .

I finished with G4DEZ about 2250, QSYd with G1DIJ/P for a few mins then left him in another stations capable hands whilst I had a quick look around.
There were were other QSOs still going on.
You certainly should have heard me at this range and DEZ was well over S9.

In a few spare mins I had this morning I worked G4MQV, nr. Durham, and, before the contest MI0SMK/P, G0EJQ (Lincoln) and G4DEZ.

Strangely I did not work the first two in the contest. :?

Although I did not have the chance myself there was 2M activity on Monday.
Some contacts being via AU.

So if the silence closed in on you it can only be limited RX capability.

Cheers

Tony

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:15 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 

g1pie wrote:
i do enjoy 144mhz ssb.
mark.

Glad you had fun.

The band was quite lively here but, unfortunately, the sheer number of very local stations, on or two in particular :( , made escaping out of the square quite difficult.

Lots of stations buried under very strong locals some of whom seemed not to hear the stations they were sharing a frequency with!

Never the less 21 contacts, particularly on a vertical, is good going.
Nice to see you worked GI4SNA at 240km. :D
You can imagine how strong he was, at times, on a beam. :)

I was doing my usual "hunting for squares" rather than just going for all the stations but the RX problems hindered that approach a bit.

G4RRA, nr Exeter, was not his usual 59 but some of the IO91 stations were very strong.
So conditions a little odd. :?

I ended up with 58 contacts, 6 countries, 16 locators with ODX PA0WMX in JO21xi at 642kms.
Only one other station, ON5AEN worked from outside the UK. so no DX.

Good fun anyway and interesting to see what can be managed - G4DEZ with 34 squares in, about, a dozen countries!
Even more surprisingly G4RRA, in the wilds of IO80 :) with 26 squares!

70cm next week but keep checking 6/4/2M for AU. :D

Cheers

Tony

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:39 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Contributor 2018

39 Q's, 16 locators, 6 countries - seemed hard work tonight from what was a much more favorable location than last month...started off well but last hour quietened down somewhat... little disappointing scorewise but an enjoyable evenings operating nonetheless.

Heard F1VNR/P but not worked/deep QSB - would have been an ODX of around 700km for me too :( ... tut tut the one that got away...

@ GW8ASD - Dunno how I missed you Tony?? Tuned around several times to look for you also?
Same with MM0GPZ/P in IO76XA - had a QSO with him after contest 5/9 but nothing heard from him during contest??? :shock: Worked a few GM's early on and prob guilty of not pointing back up there again!

Beam GI a few times - there's a few of us active in these contests now!

Rich MI0SMK/P in IO74AI

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 

I worked GI4SNA no problem and I did hear you but it was always on someone elses frequency.

I did try to get you to QSY a couple of times but to no avail.

Not to worry. There's always next time. :)

I'm around quite a lot on the radio during other times so it's always with a call in this direction.

Aer you active on any other bands?

Cheers

Tony

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Advanced Member

I got 122 qso's but I am down on mults! First 1.5 hours I was at a constant 1 qso per min! As Tony Said there was activity after the contest had finished! GI4SNA was only GI, Best DX was DL! It helps to run on the flat side you know!

Reg G8VHI

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:15 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Contributor 2018

gw8asd wrote:

Well the frantic CQ calls stopped but there were still half a dozen chats going on after the contest .

Im sure there was over a long distance, i only heard one QSO after 22.30 and that was you,the only station i heard and spoke to after that was David G8ZRE with whom i wanted to aquaint myself with, as he only lives 1/2 a mile from me (if that) and i have never heard him hold a normal QSO for me to be able to speak to him as he is a fanatical contestor,i called him in the very last minute of the contest and only spoke to him for 5 mins,but it was a pleasure to speak to the guy,good to know some of these people can hold a QSO when you force them out of their robotical 5/9 routine.

gw8asd wrote:
So if the silence closed in on you it can only be limited RX capability.

Yes I only have a vertical,which is only 4.5db gain on 2 meters,but i still hear stations as far away as Rochdale,Shrewsbury and Derbyshire on 2 meters simplex,I can even hear the repeater at Lancaster,but that is a repeater and it is on high ground,so not bad really,but i am on one of the highest ASL areas in Chester,so that does help a little.
I would have a beam,but I have already explained in a previous thread to you why i only have use of the vertical due to recent local planning permission problems/concerns,and when i meant the silence i meant locally (within a 30 mile Circumference of my QTH) as 2 meters SSB is dead most of the time locallly,well this is very much the case when compared to 2 meters FM simplex locally around here,,its just 90% of the other local stations i had been hearing went totally silent after 10.30pm and thats a great shame,it would be great for people to utilise 2 meters SSB more rather than just for contests.

Last edited by M6SPW on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:35 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 

gw8asd wrote:
g1pie wrote:
i do enjoy 144mhz ssb.
mark.

Glad you had fun.

The band was quite lively here but, unfortunately, the sheer number of very local stations, on or two in particular :( , made escaping out of the square quite difficult.

Lots of stations buried under very strong locals some of whom seemed not to hear the stations they were sharing a frequency with!

Never the less 21 contacts, particularly on a vertical, is good going.
Nice to see you worked GI4SNA at 240km. :D
You can imagine how strong he was, at times, on a beam. :)

I was doing my usual "hunting for squares" rather than just going for all the stations but the RX problems hindered that approach a bit.

G4RRA, nr Exeter, was not his usual 59 but some of the IO91 stations were very strong.
So conditions a little odd. :?

I ended up with 58 contacts, 6 countries, 16 locators with ODX PA0WMX in JO21xi at 642kms.
Only one other station, ON5AEN worked from outside the UK. so no DX.

Good fun anyway and interesting to see what can be managed - G4DEZ with 34 squares in, about, a dozen countries!
Even more surprisingly G4RRA, in the wilds of IO80 :) with 26 squares!

70cm next week but keep checking 6/4/2M for AU. :D

Cheers

Tony

hi tony.
yes only using a vertical had it not been raining i would have put the 9ele tonna up on my portable mast in the back garden.
really enjoyed last night roll on may's contest.
mark.

RAOTA, RSGB, WAB.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 

M6SPW wrote:
Yes I only have a vertical,which is only 4.5db gain on 2 meters,but i still hear stations as far away as Rochdale,Shrewsbury and Derbyshire on 2 meters simplex,I can even hear the repeater at Lancaster,but that is a repeater and it is on high ground,so not bad really,but i am on one of the highest ASL areas in Chester,so that does help a little.
I would have a beam,but I have already explained in a previous thread to you why i only have use of the vertical due to recent local planning permission problems/concerns,and when i meant the silence i meant locally (within a 30 mile Circumference of my QTH) as 2 meters SSB is dead most of the time locallly,well this is very much the case when compared to 2 meters FM simplex locally around here,,its just 90% of the other local stations i had been hearing went totally silent after 10.30pm and thats a great shame,it would be great for people to utilise 2 meters SSB more rather than just for contests.

In reality, when working crossed polarisation, there is around 26db of loss so the 4.5dB (you don't say if it is dBi or dBd) still means it is more than 20dB down on a horizontal dipole.

A simple halo, I'm sure, would not attract any attention as it looks like an omni FM radio antenna.
Even a big wheel is not that obtrusive and served me well for a long time.
Don't forget the quality of the feeder is as important as the antenna. :D
You can always put up a temporary antenna as G7IGB and GW4EVX etc. do.

It's a pity to have a 2M SSB radio and not use it.

One thing to bear in mind, when you think the bottom end of 2M is dead, is that many of the SSB guys are also in to MS and EME on 2M, and also on other bands.

We tend not to be the "chatty" type being more interested in the technicalities than the talking. :lol:
So, even when we are about it is unlikely that we will be on one frequency, or even one band, for hours on end.

The other thing, of course, is not just to listen but to spend time on CQ calls. :)

Cheers

Tony

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:45 am

144MHz UKAC reminder 

G7IGB wrote:
gw8asd wrote:

That's an impressive total under any conditions, as I don't think I've worked a dozen countries in total on 2m. :)

It's good to see that the 144MHz UKAC is growing in popularity, especially with the summer months on the way. :)

I don't really concentrate on 2M here and no MS/EME.
165 locators and 35 DXCC best DX, probably, LZ1ZP in KN22id. Just short of 2,400km.
Not bad with no EME or MS. :)
Less DXCC than on 4M, if you count crossband contacts. :lol:

Just been trying with DK3EE, on 2M, this morning but not quite a goer. :(

No radio this afternoon.
Beer testing in Chester.
It was very good on Sunday so we are going to make sure they keep the standard up. :lol:

Cheers

Tony

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 pm

144MHz UKAC reminder 
Contributor 2018

gw8asd wrote:
In reality, when working crossed polarisation, there is around 26db of loss so the 4.5dB (you don't say if it is dBi or dBd) still means it is more than 20dB down on a horizontal dipole.

Its a Watson W-50, it does'nt state on the manufacturers specs as to whether is dbd or dbi,either way it does very well for what it is,obviously its not going to do aswell as a flatside antenna, but it serves its purpose well enough for me in my restricted area.
Also i can hear within a 30 mile radius no problems,and thats considered as local,so its irrelevant,the SSB area is dead compared to FM simplex on 2 meters locally,no point trying to say otherwise as this is the fact of the matter for local coms,if you use horizontal polarisation then obviously this will be on the contrary.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:15 pm