It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:08 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Impact of VDSL interference on Amateur Radio Service 

Post Re: Impact of VDSL interference on Amateur Radio Service
M1MPW wrote:
What the RSGB needs to do is sort out a free RTL-SDR.com dongle for every RSGB member with instructions on how to use it to find and report the interference.
They could tape it to the front of Radcom.

They could even use it as a membership incentive.

Without doing this they just will not get enough people checking and complaining.

So, how's about it RSGB? Use the membership money for what the members paid for.

Just a thought.....

Mark

I'm not sure a cheap dongle would hack it.
But, if you want to take that route it's cheap enough, without the RSGB funding it.
I wonder, if it was funded, just how many would be used for the intended purpose, and actually generate results?

As for the "instructions on how to use it to find and report the interference", they've already done that, and provided software to compile the results.

Cheers

Tony

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:05 pm
Profile Send private message

Advanced Member

This is the thing though... they have provided info on how to use a bit of kit that probably most do not have or would buy just to please the RSGB.

The article appeared to be an advert for a sponsors product.

Unless they can provide a way to confirm the interference easily with a plain and simple radio that most amateurs have they will never get the support they need.

I may be wrong but from the article you had to buy the RSGB advertised sdr receiver and then use a bit of software that only confirmed from an I/Q data file produced by an sdr receiver.

Not supplying a way just because a few may not get used the way they intended is just leading the way to failure to resolve the VDSL problem.

But... the VDSL problem could be just another RSGB hype story like the PLT problem that never really happened.
Sure there may be a few people affected and the RSGB ranting that we the radio users are responsible for bringing it to the attention of OFCOM. That does not mean there IS a problem.
If it is true then the PLT problem must be true and all the bands would be S9+ noise. But they aren't.

It is time for the RSGB to start representing its members to OFCOM , not asking the members to do it.

That feels better now...rant over... :)

Mark

Technics Amp.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:49 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

M1MPW wrote:
This is the thing though... they have provided info on how to use a bit of kit that probably most do not have or would buy just to please the RSGB.

The article appeared to be an advert for a sponsors product.

Unless they can provide a way to confirm the interference easily with a plain and simple radio that most amateurs have they will never get the support they need.

I may be wrong but from the article you had to buy the RSGB advertised sdr receiver and then use a bit of software that only confirmed from an I/Q data file produced by an sdr receiver.

Not supplying a way just because a few may not get used the way they intended is just leading the way to failure to resolve the VDSL problem.

But... the VDSL problem could be just another RSGB hype story like the PLT problem that never really happened.
Sure there may be a few people affected and the RSGB ranting that we the radio users are responsible for bringing it to the attention of OFCOM. That does not mean there IS a problem.
If it is true then the PLT problem must be true and all the bands would be S9+ noise. But they aren't.

It is time for the RSGB to start representing its members to OFCOM , not asking the members to do it.

That feels better now...rant over... :)

Mark

Have you read the article?
Quote:
Most SDRs can be used to make this recording.

The SDRlay just happens to be the one many people already have.
It needs to be an SDR to extract the required information as you need to look at a 2MHz slice using the software that can be downloaded.
You can, if you don't want to go along that route, identify it manually by looking for the guard bands.
Again, an SDR is the best way as you can see the signal rather than tuning and looking for a dip in the noise.
Also, measuring relative levels tends to be easier.

I suspect it would be more than "a few" that wouldn't use anything supplied.
You only have to look at how few respond to consultations, despite often being provided with templates!

If you don't suffer from VDSL, or PLT, noise you're a lucky man.
Fortunately, I've no interest in HF but if I did it would be an issue here.
As for any of it being "RSGB hype". :lol: What a weird idea!

The members are the RSGB as it's a largely volunteer organisation.

Also, if you read Ofcom policy on consultations, individuals and organisations are treated in the same way.

Cheers

Tony

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:43 am

Top Poster

I read this article with interest:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180
In flippant thinking mode I had two initial thoughts, first was "Karma", second was "Wonder if they want to flog that old telly?, I can put that to good get my own back use here!" :)
Then in serious thinking mode thought, I did muse that as an infrastructure, just how pee poor is the broadband network that one rogue "telly" can wipe out the broadband speed and connectivity for a whole Village, and bring it to its knees for 18 months?
Doesn't bode well does it, for the the interconnected world wide web of things future that is "Bright and Orange", as the old advert once went.

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:16 am

G0BHD wrote:
I read this article with interest:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180
In flippant thinking mode I had two initial thoughts, first was "Karma", second was "Wonder if they want to flog that old telly?, I can put that to good get my own back use here!" :)
Then in serious thinking mode thought, I did muse that as an infrastructure, just how pee poor is the broadband network that one rogue "telly" can wipe out the broadband speed and connectivity for a whole Village, and bring it to its knees for 18 months?
Doesn't bode well does it, for the the interconnected world wide web of things future that is "Bright and Orange", as the old advert once went.

Just think, but for a decision Thatcher made in the late 80s, we would more than likely be well ahead of the game.
But, no, BT rolling out fibre optic was apparently anti competitive so it was strangled!
Hence we're stuck with copper and, even worse, aluminium.
In BTs original plans the aluminium would have been long gone as it was just a stop gap because of the Rhodesia/copper crisis.
Unfortunately, privatisation resulted in the replacement programme being abandoned, along with reneging on some pole agreements.

Cheers

Tony

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:32 am

Advanced Member

I am thinking about using my phone line as a long wire and sending ft8 out all day and night.

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:52 am

Top Poster

m1eev wrote:
I am thinking about using my phone line as a long wire and sending ft8 out all day and night.

:)
Now I am sure you don't really advocate doing that, but by way of historical significance, I have an very old SWL homebrew building listeners book here explaining how a suitable and well isolated decoupled telephone wiring system to your house infrastructure, can be utilized as a make do SWL receive antenna. ;)
However there have always been rules and laws surrounding purposely squirting transmitted RF up them! :D

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:04 am

Contributor 2019

G0BHD wrote:
However there have always been rules and laws surrounding purposely squirting transmitted RF up them! :D

BT don't seem to have a problem ;)

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:08 am

Top Poster

G4LNA wrote:
G0BHD wrote:

True, but they have a government and more importantly Ofcom sanctioned go ahead to do so! ;)
We currently as radio amateurs still do not have that privilege. :)

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:12 am

Contributor 2019

G0BHD wrote:
G4LNA wrote:
G0BHD wrote:

True, but they have a government and more importantly Ofcom sanctioned go ahead to do so! ;)
We currently as radio amateurs still do not have that privilege. :)

That's as maybe, but look what happens when they do start pumping RF into copper wires :rolleyes:

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:32 am

Top Poster

Look at what happens when you own a shit TV! :)
A bit like Covid, these days we are all in it together apparently! :lol:

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:51 am