It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:04 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Advanced Member

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 am
Posts: 241
Location: elgin , moray.. io87ip
Feedback: 17 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
Ok where do i start , Not even sure if this is the correct area for this ?.
I have a dmr repeater 2 doors away from me , it is swamping the front end of the ic 9700 and the ic 821. His antenna is about 40m from mine , What is the best action for me to take ?. Is there any filter or anything that may help, was looking for band pass filter but they only seem to be available for out of band frequencies ?. i want to work satellite band , and some ssb , at the moment i can only work the strongest of signals ?. the repeater tx is 439.5875 and rx is 430.5875 ?.

Any one help ?

Many thanks de mm1fas .


Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:28 pm
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Advanced Member

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Cambridgeshire
Feedback: 2 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
Is it an authorised repeater or just someone's personal setup?

If it is a private one , the owner should provide the filters as if I remember correctly the number one rule is 'dont cause interference with another operators reception'.

Maybe a quick word in their ear and they may beable to turn down the power to an acceptable level.

_________________
Icom coffee mug.
8 ele TV Ariel.
Bluetooth speaker.
Technics Amp.


Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:36 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Advanced Member

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 am
Posts: 241
Location: elgin , moray.. io87ip
Feedback: 17 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
It is an authorised repeater , Tried to talk but he blames my gear ?. I feel like going round and pulling it down, but we have been friends for many years , So like i say looking to see what i can do before it comes to me getting arrested and loosing a friend . :banghead:


Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Contributor 2019

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:47 pm
Posts: 597
Location: IO82ji Radnor
Feedback: 26 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
I think the 40 metres away from your aerial could be the problem, it would also worry me about my front end..!
https://ukrepeater.net/my_repeater.php?id=4151
Also the 25w ERP is on the high side for an NOV, talk with him, you are both amateurs... if all else fails contact ETCC and ask if can be dropped to 10dBw as it's causing problems..

Evan


Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:14 pm
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 2195
Location: Llanwrtyd Wells
Feedback: 26 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
I'd be more inclined to call CQ at max power UHF with a beam in his direction.

_________________
The Devil take your stereo and record collection.


Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:53 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Advanced Member

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 am
Posts: 241
Location: elgin , moray.. io87ip
Feedback: 17 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
GW7UNV wrote:
I think the 40 metres away from your aerial could be the problem, it would also worry me about my front end..!
https://ukrepeater.net/my_repeater.php?id=4151
Also the 25w ERP is on the high side for an NOV, talk with him, you are both amateurs... if all else fails contact ETCC and ask if can be dropped to 10dBw as it's causing problems..

Evan

Hi Yes may have to contact ETCC , but i would rather sort it out without being a tell tale, On other bands / modes we always managed to keep clear , but this repeater is constant , never seems to stop ,day after day, and i do not see what good the repeater does him ?. It should be away from here up in a hill or somewhere it could cover more ground, It is not as if we are in a good spot here ?.


Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 am
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Advanced Member

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 am
Posts: 241
Location: elgin , moray.. io87ip
Feedback: 17 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
GW6RRL wrote:
I'd be more inclined to call CQ at max power UHF with a beam in his direction.


I never thought i would ever find something so annoying i would want to cause harm to someone and his gear , it is just a hobby after all , But at the moment my radio is just an expensive paper weigh.


Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:14 am
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 15126
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
That's just bad planning and poor comprehension of likely problems.
I was asked about a repeater at my remote site, you can guess the reply. :lol:

I'd just become very active on the band, particularly in peak repeater usage times.

One thing you could try is a notch, or band stop filter.
Obviously his RX is working reasonably well, when the TX is on.
I assume he's single antenna working so his RX filtering is doing the job.
You need to emulate, or better, the RX part of his duplexer.
It should be quite sharp and not impact on you operating the other end of the band.
Particularly if you're horizontally polarised.

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:15 pm
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Advanced Member

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 am
Posts: 241
Location: elgin , moray.. io87ip
Feedback: 17 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
gw8asd wrote:
That's just bad planning and poor comprehension of likely problems.
I was asked about a repeater at my remote site, you can guess the reply. :lol:

I'd just become very active on the band, particularly in peak repeater usage times.

One thing you could try is a notch, or band stop filter.
Obviously his RX is working reasonably well, when the TX is on.
I assume he's single antenna working so his RX filtering is doing the job.
You need to emulate, or better, the RX part of his duplexer.
It should be quite sharp and not impact on you operating the other end of the band.
Particularly if you're horizontally polarised.

Cheers

Tony


Hi Tony

Yes will just have to plug away at it , I have always run QRP the last 20 years hf and vhu/uhf , But that is going to change now, Time to knock of the cobwebs from the finals and get some heat in to them,

cheers

Richard..


Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:42 am
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 15126
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
mm1fas wrote:
gw8asd wrote:
That's just bad planning and poor comprehension of likely problems.
I was asked about a repeater at my remote site, you can guess the reply. :lol:

I'd just become very active on the band, particularly in peak repeater usage times.

One thing you could try is a notch, or band stop filter.
Obviously his RX is working reasonably well, when the TX is on.
I assume he's single antenna working so his RX filtering is doing the job.
You need to emulate, or better, the RX part of his duplexer.
It should be quite sharp and not impact on you operating the other end of the band.
Particularly if you're horizontally polarised.

Cheers

Tony

It should be possible to sort it with decent cavity filters.
A bit of a challenge but that's what the hobby is about.
Perhaps suggest he helps you out? :D
If you're on SSB, and running power, the shoe, will be on the other foot.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Yes will just have to plug away at it , I have always run QRP the last 20 years hf and vhu/uhf , But that is going to change now, Time to knock of the cobwebs from the finals and get some heat in to them,

cheers

Richard..

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:10 pm
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Moderator

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:21 pm
Posts: 624
Location: Freckleton, Lancs IO83NS
Feedback: 21 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
A local round here has the same problem from a station running a digital 'hotspot gateway' licensed by the ETCC but from what I can tell it doesn't handle much local traffic but none the less is left 'connected and on air' 24/7 rebroadcasting all sorts of traffic from round the world.

The local also has an IC9700 (as do I) and his rx gets crushed making 2mtrs unusable - luckily I live about a mile further away whereas the local is only a few hundered metres away.

Couple of things to mimimize the problem

1. See if it can be set to only tx when some is actually connected to it and actually using the system locally.
2. You could try putting a null in your antenna response by placing a suitable element.

Using a cavity and trying to notch it out could be very difficult a better solution might be to see if the tx power can be reduced to a point where it doesn't block your rx ?

Ideally ETCC should be aware of these types of potential problems and set ERP accordingly.


EDIT seems as though it's a true repeater with a wide split on 70cms - so a notch would be feasible and may help assuming phase noise / reciprical mixing doesn't raise its head.

_________________
G8GIW licensed in 1972 (C&G RAE), then G4WIM in 1984 (12 wpm CW test), then KT6UK in 2000 (USA Extra Class), now safely back in the UK and retired early (Google bought the company I was working for !)


Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:09 pm
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Advanced Member

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:39 pm
Posts: 2645
Location: Bapchild, Kent
Feedback: 15 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
If you've got issues with a DMR hotspot just grab a DMR handie and connect to the hotspot and ask it to join a different chat room or whatever it is. I assume most are semi configurable like fusion and you can tell it to join a new room.

If I had a local hotspot annoying me and it was on fusion I'd simply join it over and over again and put it into a dead room :D

_________________
Don't freeband.


Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:57 pm
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 2850
Location: Kildare IO63MD
Feedback: 26 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
Looks like it's linked into a few other repeaters/gateways and on further to the world, might be tricky to get the chap to knock that on the head as it's a large network,


TG 235475 links three Repeaters and two Gateways.

GB7BI Located near Muir Of Ord.

GB7II Located in Inverness.

GB7SS Located in Elgin.

MB6FU Located in Nairn.

MB6EL Located in Elgin.

The repeaters are setup for talkgroup access no reflectors active on any slots we prefer to use S1 for the group talkgroup 235475 and use slot 2 for user selected below.

(S1) BI Local Like a normal repeater, good place to test with another users, as no connection to the outside world. Shorter gaps needed as people are direct, no real delays. Call “GM0UDL calling local GM0UDL calling local”
(S1) BI 475 (Static) This is our talkgroup connected to GB7BI GB7II MB6FU MB6EL. Please leave gaps between overs, this is to allow users to disconnect or join the conversation. “GM0UDL calling on 475 GM0UDL calling on 475”.
(S2) BI Parrot “Echo Test” Good place to test your signal into the repeater as it will relay back to you what you have said. Useful if you are mobile or in an area you are not sure about your quality.
(S2) BI Rx All This is for checking activity on slot 2 on the repeater as it is now user access and you can select several talkgroups, so look here somebody could be on.
(S2) BI Disc This is for disconnecting when you have finished using a talkgroup on the repeater
(S2) BI 4405 Talkgroup 2355 which is reflector 4405 connected to a number or repeaters in Scotland GB7BB, GB7BI, GB7DE, GB7EA, GB7EE, GB7JD, GB7LS, GB7LU, GB7SQ leave gaps between overs to allow others to connect, disconnect or join.
(S2) BI Edin Chat Talkgroup 235444 Edinburgh equivalent of 235475 same rules apply
(S2) BI Scot Chat Talkgroup 23550 (Ref 4415) assigned for Scotland chat channel
(S2) BI TAC 310 Talkgroup 310 mainly American stations very busy something to listen to or join in.
(S2) BI 91 WW Talkgroup 91 Worldwide
(S2) BI 92 EU Talkgroup 92 Europe
(S2) BI 93 USA Talkgroup 93 USA
(S2) BI 95 Aus/NZ Talkgroup 95 Australia New Zealand

_________________
Trevor
EI2GLB
QRZ+LOG WX


Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:41 pm
Profile Send private message

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:27 pm
Posts: 2064
Location: Kilmarnock
Feedback: 6 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
mm1fas wrote:
GW7UNV wrote:
I think the 40 metres away from your aerial could be the problem, it would also worry me about my front end..!
https://ukrepeater.net/my_repeater.php?id=4151
Also the 25w ERP is on the high side for an NOV, talk with him, you are both amateurs... if all else fails contact ETCC and ask if can be dropped to 10dBw as it's causing problems..

Evan

Hi Yes may have to contact ETCC , but i would rather sort it out without being a tell tale, On other bands / modes we always managed to keep clear , but this repeater is constant , never seems to stop ,day after day, and i do not see what good the repeater does him ?. It should be away from here up in a hill or somewhere it could cover more ground, It is not as if we are in a good spot here ?.


Unfortunately ETCC cannot intervene in this type of issue. They basically only do the triage for Ofcom to see if it is likely to cause co-channel interference issues with other repeaters and were appropriate consult with primary users such as air traffic control or military etc to see if have any objections. Ofcom issue the licence based on that report not the ETCC and are unlikely to intervene if the repeater is operating within licence conditions and not causing interference to primary, military or emergency service users.

Having any repeater close to you is going to be a big ask for any receiver's front end and the digital ones appear to be particularly problematic but not alone. In the end if all parties are operating within their licence conditions Ofcom will not intervene and ETCC have no powers to do so, so its up to the individuals concerned to work it out.

I can understand the upset to the individuals affected but 'I was here first' doesn't hold in this case and the not causing interference argument to other users gets complicated. No doubt the 'barrack room lawyers' on here will have a different view and try to shoot the messenger .

_________________
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Views posted on here are purely personal.


Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:25 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

 ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater 
Advanced Member

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 am
Posts: 241
Location: elgin , moray.. io87ip
Feedback: 17 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: ic 9700 swamped with DMR repeater
GM0ONX wrote:
mm1fas wrote:
GW7UNV wrote:
I think the 40 metres away from your aerial could be the problem, it would also worry me about my front end..!
https://ukrepeater.net/my_repeater.php?id=4151
Also the 25w ERP is on the high side for an NOV, talk with him, you are both amateurs... if all else fails contact ETCC and ask if can be dropped to 10dBw as it's causing problems..

Evan

Hi Yes may have to contact ETCC , but i would rather sort it out without being a tell tale, On other bands / modes we always managed to keep clear , but this repeater is constant , never seems to stop ,day after day, and i do not see what good the repeater does him ?. It should be away from here up in a hill or somewhere it could cover more ground, It is not as if we are in a good spot here ?.


Unfortunately ETCC cannot intervene in this type of issue. They basically only do the triage for Ofcom to see if it is likely to cause co-channel interference issues with other repeaters and were appropriate consult with primary users such as air traffic control or military etc to see if have any objections. Ofcom issue the licence based on that report not the ETCC and are unlikely to intervene if the repeater is operating within licence conditions and not causing interference to primary, military or emergency service users.

Having any repeater close to you is going to be a big ask for any receiver's front end and the digital ones appear to be particularly problematic but not alone. In the end if all parties are operating within their licence conditions Ofcom will not intervene and ETCC have no powers to do so, so its up to the individuals concerned to work it out.

I can understand the upset to the individuals affected but 'I was here first' doesn't hold in this case and the not causing interference argument to other users gets complicated. No doubt the 'barrack room lawyers' on here will have a different view and try to shoot the messenger .


I was here first has nothing to do with this, do not know where you got that from ?.. There is 3 of us here in this corner i am in the middle , and over the years i have never had this kind of swamping All i wanted to know is what i can do to lessen the problem , without going round and pulling it down , Like i say we have been good friends for years . He got in to digital and became a man possessed , Best thing ever he says , Tried his hardest to get me to use it to , but not my thing , yes i do own digital gear , i set it up and gave it a listen but never had a contact , it just does not interest me in the least .
When i spoke to him i could not use 70cm,s (even 1.2ghz without an antenna was getting blasted ).. after i talked to him the swamping has dropped a good bit , so i think he may have been running more than 25w ?
All i want to know is what would be the best style or type of filter , Looks like cavity might do it ?. But i do not want to spend more cash if it will not help my case ?..

de MM1FAS .


Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:03 pm
Profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.