It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:21 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

CCTV System EMC 
Novice Member

Post CCTV System EMC
A quick video showing the issue I am having with a neighbours CCTV system made by Sansco. The issue occurs as soon as the cameras/hard drive start working. Any suggestions what I can do as they've had a new system delivered and the problem is still occurring. I've contacted the manufacturer Sansco and they've basically turned round and said and what do you want us to do about it. Neighbors are a bit reluctant to take it all down and get a refund. Any suggestions on what I can do?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/8JX9uJihry0[/youtube]

Sat May 30, 2020 11:02 am
Profile Send private message WWW

CCTV System EMC 
Top Poster

Post Re: CCTV System EMC
Report it to Ofcom as undue RF interference to your amateur radio station set up.
Report the response from the supplying manufacturer involved, and wait and hope for a site visit and satisfactory conclusion from Ofcom interference engineers.
Other than that, shoot the damn things with an air rifle, if prepared to rub the neighbours well and truly up the wrong way of course.
The neighbours will have no idea what "their" problem is, the manufacturer obviously doesn't give a damn post sale and installation, I doubt the neighbours will simply turn their shiny new security installation off, so Ofcom site visit is about your only next recourse.

Sat May 30, 2020 11:15 am
Profile Send private message

CCTV System EMC 
BANNED

Kieran you can try ofcom but don't expect it all to go away but I hope it does, maybe try a different hardrive.
I had issues with my cctv but simple clip on ferrites on both PSUs sorted it.
Bloody hell just checked your qrz you've grown up, hey pm me your number if you want and I'll run you through a few pointers.
Cheers Mark

Sat May 30, 2020 11:27 am

CCTV System EMC 
Novice Member

Currently emailing Ken at the RSGB who's offering advise. I've been and put ferrites on both plugs (One that supplies the cameras and one that powers the box) and that hasn't done anything. I've also put it on the cables for the cameras (The ones with the BNC connectors on the end) as well as the ethernet cable. They are using one of the power line internet adapters which could be the cause but when unplugged on the first box didn't make a difference.

Sat May 30, 2020 11:34 am

CCTV System EMC 
BANNED

M6AYW wrote:
Currently emailing Ken at the RSGB who's offering advise. I've been and put ferrites on both plugs (One that supplies the cameras and one that powers the box) and that hasn't done anything. I've also put it on the cables for the cameras (The ones with the BNC connectors on the end) as well as the ethernet cable. They are using one of the power line internet adapters which could be the cause but when unplugged on the first box didn't make a difference.

Kieran those PLT device are horrible devices because they turn the whole ring main into a antenna, I've had a 10 month investigation here done by ofcom to be told go operate elsewhere.
But if it's hf that's affected I found a X phase to work on some of the crud, like I said if you get stuck give me a shout happy to help.

Sat May 30, 2020 11:39 am

CCTV System EMC 
BANNED

One step at a time Kieran or you'll end up chasing your tail these things can be confusing, it's about working your way through the whole problem.
Get them to turn off all PLT devices, by law they were supposed to be notched out of our bands but ofcom did nothing for me if I'm honest, that's why I have little time for them these days.
If all fails remember you can knock up a receiving loop cheap and site it down the garden, or as a last result use a online sdr receiver....don't give up the hobby fight back theirs too much of this crap we are having to deal with alately.

Sat May 30, 2020 11:52 am

CCTV System EMC 
Contributor 2019

It might not be the CCTV system, it could be the monitor, I have had problems in the past with monitors particularly using HDMI, so unplug the monitor first from the CCTV base unit and trigger a camera and see if there's any difference. If it's clean then suspect the monitor.

If it's still the same then unplug all the cameras and plug them in one at a time to check if it might be one camera causing the problem, it's unlikely, but it is a process of elimination.

I will add, I do get problems with the desktop monitor in the shack causing interference, a big fat ferrite cures that :good:

Sat May 30, 2020 11:55 am

CCTV System EMC 
Novice Member

Thanks for your help so far. I've swapped out the plug and touch wood the noise is gone. S0-S1 of noise now on all bands down from S3-S5. I'm going to keep monitoring it and make sure it doesn't turn back up from somewhere but its worked. Neighbours also swapped out their screen for a newer one before i got there so I think that helped as well. All ferrites are still on their cables but no noise like in the youtube video above.

Sat May 30, 2020 2:55 pm

CCTV System EMC 
Top Poster

M6AYW wrote:
Thanks for your help so far. I've swapped out the plug and touch wood the noise is gone. S0-S1 of noise now on all bands down from S3-S5. I'm going to keep monitoring it and make sure it doesn't turn back up from somewhere but its worked. Neighbours also swapped out their screen for a newer one before i got there so I think that helped as well. All ferrites are still on their cables but no noise like in the youtube video above.

Understand the neighbours choice of a "new monitor" might have helped, but what "plug" did you swap out that you think might have made a significant difference also?
I would add S3 to S5 of noise, compared to what I often encounter daily, would be deemed a beneficial step in the right direction to me personally.
Therefore an S0 to S1 would be a wish list level! ;)
Depending on bands required to use of course.

Sat May 30, 2020 3:03 pm

CCTV System EMC 
Novice Member

G0BHD wrote:
M6AYW wrote:

Understand the neighbours choice of a "new monitor" might have helped, but what "plug" did you swap out that you think might have made a significant difference also?
I would add S3 to S5 of noise, compared to what I often encounter daily, would be deemed a beneficial step in the right direction.

The plug i swapped out was a switched mode AC Adapter which powers the box. The one powering the cameras was a different brand to the one to supply the box.

Sat May 30, 2020 3:06 pm

CCTV System EMC 
Top Poster

M6AYW wrote:
G0BHD wrote:
M6AYW wrote:

I would add S3 to S5 of noise, compared to what I often encounter daily, would be deemed a beneficial step in the right direction.

The plug i swapped out was a switched mode AC Adapter which powers the box. The one powering the cameras was a different brand to the one to supply the box.

Ah! so you swapped a "wall wart" type psu from one brand to another, not a simple mains plug, then yes indeed that could have made a difference, there are a lot of very noisy wall wart psu's on the market. :)
I have a few here that came with various devices, that I know first hand are not to be used when I have the radio's switched on! ;)
Good result! :good:
One word of warning though, you do realise you have voided any faulty item claims they might make in the future, should their shiny new system one day within guarantee fail?
Often in the guarantee "small print", is a clause stating.... "only the supplied power supply" should be used! ;)
As long as you and the neighbour concerned are fine with the replacement PSU and any future problems/claims, then no problem of course.

Sat May 30, 2020 3:14 pm

CCTV System EMC 
Contributor 2019

One way to get around the warranty problem is to build a filter box to plug the wallwart into, I had to do that for a neighbour when one of his PSU's wiped out all bands from 160 to 40m. All it consisted of was a plastic box big enough to mount and 13A socket on and inside a ferrite of the correct material wound with about ten turns on all poles of the mains supply with a tail to plug into the mains socket, so the wallwart plugs into the 13A is filtered that way, that completely cured it.

Of course, with the caveat that if you are building anything like that you are confident on what you are doing, being an ex-electrician I was quite happy to do that to make it safely. We don't want any exposed wiring or burnt down houses, particularly as his is semi-detached with ours ;)

Sat May 30, 2020 4:06 pm

CCTV System EMC 
Advanced Member

I couldn't get the link to work.

I get sprogs every 30kc throughout 6m-2m from my CCTV. It is a digital Flir/Lorex system it reduced only a little by changing the 48v supply to a proper linear PSU. Where I can I have replaced the supplied ethernet cable with screened cable, fitted ferrites at each end.

I have 8 cameras, but now only 3 cause the QRM. Luckily my shack is in a barn & beaming to the house is a very screened direction anyway. I have several sorts of masts & a recent rearrangement of beams meant that the 4m problems reduced but increased on 2m. I only use the lower 100kc of 2m & there is only one sprog there so I can cope with that.

There are beam headings where I can get virtually no QRM but on any of those bands if I switch to vertical (omni) that is disastrous. Tuning on a sprog & sniffing around I find that on the offending cameras the QRM level is just as high on the camera as around the control unit. Curiously the offending cameras are not necessarily the nearest to the barn & the longest feed of 100m is not an offender.

G8ADP in 1964 then G4MBS in 1981 for CW on microwaves esp 10GHz tropo/rain scatter. QRT for 33 years. Moved to GW in 2016 pottering on 6m - 3cm seeing what can be achieved from down in a valley where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Sun May 31, 2020 7:51 am

CCTV System EMC 
Top Poster

GW4MBS wrote:
I couldn't get the link to work.

I get sprogs every 30kc throughout 6m-2m from my CCTV. It is a digital Flir/Lorex system it reduced only a little by changing the 48v supply to a proper linear PSU. Where I can I have replaced the supplied ethernet cable with screened cable, fitted ferrites at each end.

I have 8 cameras, but now only 3 cause the QRM. Luckily my shack is in a barn & beaming to the house is a very screened direction anyway. I have several sorts of masts & a recent rearrangement of beams meant that the 4m problems reduced but increased on 2m. I only use the lower 100kc of 2m & there is only one sprog there so I can cope with that.

There are beam headings where I can get virtually no QRM but on any of those bands if I switch to vertical (omni) that is disastrous. Tuning on a sprog & sniffing around I find that on the offending cameras the QRM level is just as high on the camera as around the control unit. Curiously the offending cameras are not necessarily the nearest to the barn & the longest feed of 100m is not an offender.

Old analogue CCTV camera systems, didn't cause anywhere near as much crud! ;)
I still use a couple of Samsung low light/IR, autofocus analogue cameras, with a PIR system switched analogue Hitachi video recorder here, NOT one bit of RF noise from it. ;)
Can't log into it and view it remotely from my phone of course, but my phone would not do that anyway! :D

Sun May 31, 2020 8:19 am

CCTV System EMC 
Contributor 2020

M6AYW wrote:
G0BHD wrote:
M6AYW wrote:

A good fix for the power supply is to buy one for a PC and wire it with a 2.1x5.5dc jack to power the CCTV as these switch mode power supplies for modern PCs are well built and don't cause much if an RFI. glad you got it sorted anyway.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:37 am