It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:42 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Control EMI, don’t dump AM receivers 

Post Control EMI, don’t dump AM receivers
A Radio World article by Pooja Nair calls on makers of electric vehicles to devote sufficient resources to mitigating Electromagnetic Interference

She writes:

"the effects of electromagnetic interference are more pronounced in EVs than in vehicles with internal-combustion engines (ICEs).

Although the character and severity of this interference can be difficult to model and predict, it is clearly more disruptive to AM radio reception, often causing annoying static and limiting coverage. As a result, some EV manufacturers have begun removing AM radios — but not FM — from their vehicles.

EMI can be suppressed in EVs using well-known mitigation techniques such as shielding cables and electric motors, installing filters and carefully locating electrical components within the vehicle. Within receivers, EMI can be limited by isolating and shielding antenna and RF sections, filtering connections and carefully grounding and placing receiver components.

EV manufacturers that have successfully controlled EMI using these methods continue to provide AM radio services in their vehicles."

Read the full article at
https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and- ... -receivers

Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:27 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Top Poster

Post Re: Control EMI, don’t dump AM receivers
They have been moving away from AM radio receivers in vehicles for years slowly, all the new interference from EV's will do is speed up the process.
My wife's car is a petrol engine Mazda, it's radio only does FM and DAB, no AM on it at all, and its a 2013 model. :)
I have always thought the trend for moving away from AM radio in general was ill thought out myself, it all depends on what you expect from a radio I suppose, these days if its not high bandwidth and processed FM stereo, or Digital compressed to hell radio, its considered too old hat, but AM, and LW come to that have kept me entertained albeit at a lower bandwidth audio quality level for many years.
I still have a Blaupunkt car radio here from the late 70's early 80's, not installed in a vehicle anymore, it has MW, LW, SW, and FM! :D
I dread to think what interference the SW bands on it might suffer if I chose to put it in a modern day vehicle. :)

Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:13 am
Profile Send private message