It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:17 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Ofcom FoI on Interference 

Post Ofcom FoI on Interference
Radio amateur Gary Myers M0PLT submitted a Freedom of Information request to Ofcom regarding use of the Control of Interference from Apparatus Statutory Instrument
He asked:

Since adding Statutory Instrument 2016 No.426 The Wireless Telegraphy (Control of Interference from Apparatus) Regulations 2016 to statute, please list how many times this law has been used to:

1. remove offending equipment causing radio frequency interference;

2. prosecute users of equipment found to be creating radio frequency interference.

Ofcom said that since April 18, 2016 they had investigated and resolved, 48 cases of harmful interference to wireless telegraphy.

Ofcom replied "none" to the second question, however, that may not be surprising, since their aim could well be to achieve the desired outcome without having to resort to legal measures.

Read the full text of the FoI and Ofcom's response at
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1249792

RAOTA, RSGB, EPC, DMC, WAB.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:45 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Contributor 2018

Post Re: Ofcom FoI on Interference
In short they removed a pitance of "found interfering equipment", 48 out of the many millions no doubt "dotted around" these hallowed Isles, and failed to prosecute ANY particular individuals concerned with installation and operation of said interfering equipment.........in other words, they did next to Jack shit!
Par for the future course!
I wonder how many of the "48" involved interference to radio amateurs, rather than to "commercial radio users"! ;)

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:46 pm
Profile Send private message

Advanced Member

Well I am one case that was solved, but I am the only one I know of for certain that Ofcom have assisted.
They do not get any revenue from amateurs, so every job they are running at a loss.
Also some of the questions they ask are interesting, "how is the interference harmful?" was one. Derrrr, cus I can't use my radio.
There was also a lack of knowledge, he suggested I used AM on 2 metres, as it seemed to have less noise. Also sated that noise was not there below 144.300, "can't you use that bit of the band?". I am sure that wold go down well.
Anyway, once I actually got them to attend, and was polite and hospitable to them, they did find the interfering object, and I can now use 2 metres

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Novice Member

And i think i am becoming the second case of ofcom trying to sort the interference on 2m.
I have reported the interference coming from the telephone exchange nearby in August and they sent an engineer who was actually very knowledgeable went in my shack, measured the interference with his portable spectrum analyzer and took the date of my antennas, also was nice enough to do a site survey for 1296 mhz and 70 cm. had a long talk about interference and found out in the end he was a ham :)
biggest problem was gaining access to the telephone exchange where he found some faulty equipment, however Openreach failed to repair/replace it so i contacted them again. Hopefully will be sorted but the overall ofcom behavior was unexpectedly good

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:29 am

Contributor 2018

I had an issue with wideband noise on HF, predominantly 40m where it reached "S9+20dB". I lodged a complaint and was told I would have to keep a log of everything I couldn't hear.
I'll repeat that: I had to log every station I couldn't hear.
I told the guy that I couldn't say what I couldn't hear because I couldn't hear anything below S9+20dB. He said I wasn't being helpful and unless I was prepared to list those I couldn't hear they wouldn't help me.
I decided to arrange a sched with G0SCI, about 5 miles from me and reachable va ground wave on 40m. Every time we tried, he could hear me but I couldn't hear him. To negate any "it's your equipment not as good as his" we both used IC-9100's, both with 100W, identical filter setups and both Hustler 6BTV aerials.
Ofcom attended and ruled that the interference was "ambient noise" thus closing the case, even though it was local to me and vanished 100 metres away.

As for not making money out of amateurs, I thought that Ofcom was a service, paid for via taxes.

Pity us all when plod becomes British Policing Limited and refuses to turn out for a burglary as they don't charge fees (money) from investigating householders who've had a crime committed against them. Oh, wait a mo... it's already that way in a growing number of areas.

Wakey, wakey, people! You are being screwed!

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:13 pm