It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:29 pm

OneClick IntelliPlug 
Advanced Member

Post OneClick IntelliPlug
Anyone remember the OneClick IntelliPlug? These were given away by some of the power utility companies like E-on etc. They resembled a triple adaptor with a socket on the top marked ‘master’ or computer or such like. There was some electronics inside and only when the computer was plugged into this socket, switched on and drawing power did 240 volts become available at the two other sockets. These sockets could be used for powering a monitor, printer or whatever you needed when the PC was being used. When the computer was turned off everything went off.

I used one of these for years and it worked well, then stopped working about the time I upgraded my computer. I tried a couple of others and neither of these worked either. I suspected that these need a certain current to make them switch and the newer computer had a smaller power supply which wouldn’t trigger the unit. Lots of people still sell these on Ebay and I notice that the occasional one will say that they are not suitable for laptops…

I wonder if anyone on here has ever modified one of these to operate with a computer drawing less current? Failing that anyone home brewed something that would do? I’ve been looking at some AC current switches which might do, but their current switching capability is pretty low and probably not adequate for switching a couple of items. Upping this would involve an extra relay with its own psu and then it becomes a bit messy…

I’d welcome any ideas, oh and yes I know I could feed everything from a 4 way distribution block and just switch off at the wall – which is probably what I’ll do eventually… :D

Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:36 pm
Profile Send private message

OneClick IntelliPlug 
Advanced Member

Post Re: OneClick IntelliPlug
If you have alexa or google etc you can get plugs for a tenner which will turn on or off with a voice command, and can be set to turn off anyway at a pre set time.
One just turned up today which also monitors power consumption, not played with it yet.

Depends if you are willing to get into the app ecosystem.

Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:41 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

OneClick IntelliPlug 
Advanced Member

GW6RRL - Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I don't have Alexa or Google. One of the kids bought me an Echo Dot a few years ago and after a few infuriating days trying to get to grips with it- and finding anything I could do with it I gave it to one of the grandkids! Maybe I should have kept it...Nowadays there are more things that they can be used for so I may even buy one.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:24 pm

OneClick IntelliPlug 
Contributor 2023

One question, being pretty old school, can't you just switch everything off that's plugged in as computer peripherals once you have finished with using the computer?
Why does some device, smart or not, have to do it all for you?
They must all have a plug, shoved in some socket, that's switched surely?
Even if all three were in a standard 3 way 13 amp plug adaptor, which if the case is a simple matter of turning off one switch!

Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:33 pm

OneClick IntelliPlug 
Contributor 2024

Hmmm, I thought this thread sounded familiar :D

https://www.hamradiodeals.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=129260&hilit=master+socket

73, Mark...

Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:11 pm

OneClick IntelliPlug 
Advanced Member

Dave - "... can't you just switch everything off that's plugged in..."
That's the obvious solution, but the socket is under the computer desk where I tend keep things in boxes - perhaps now is a good time to have a clear-out...

Mark - "...Hmmm, I thought this thread sounded familiar :D..."
Whoops - egg on face time.. Going down to the shop yesterday with the wife to get the paper I said hang on while I go to the toilet to which she replied - "but you've just been two minutes ago..."

The price one pays for being old and senile.

73's

Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:13 pm