It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 6:38 pm

Kenwood TL922 Linear Amplifier 
Advanced Member

Post Kenwood TL922 Linear Amplifier
On the subject of the above Linear amplifier I noticed that there is the TL 922 'A ' ,, without the ten meter band option and then theres the none "A" TL922 . The non A model has the 10 meter band .

Which of the two linear amp models came first..?

Usually one would hazard a quess that the model with 10 meter band was the latest 'A' model..but not in this case ?

The A model has no ten meter band one would think that something with 'A' model suffix added would be later model with 10 meter band added ?

Confused ? No ? Give me time !

Best 73.

Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:17 pm
Profile Send private message

Advanced Member

Post Re: Kenwood TL922 Linear Amplifier
I know the TL922 A model is easily modified for 28mhz 10 meter band for anyone interested.

Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:26 pm

Contributor 2023

There is very little difference in stated original manufacture date between the two models, rather than one being a "new improved version" of the other, I tend to think the none 10 meter option "A model" was bought out to satisfy licencing requirements in some country or another possibly they were exported to?
Best details I can find online show both models being churned out originally around 1978 first off, so maybe it was just like radios that various come that out at the same time from wherever, even today, but some have factory limited bands available for TX to cover licencing requirements in various exported to areas?
Other than that I agree it is strange and somewhat confusing that the none 10 meter version was labelled the "A" version. :)

Edit:
This is take from a Kessler Engineering PDF file on restoration, modifications and improvements to the TL922/TL992A series of amplifiers.
Quote:
The TL-922 and TL-922A are (almost) identical
and these upgrades apply equally to both amplifiers. The TL-922 was sold throughout the
World as a 160m-10m linear amplifier. However, 10m operation was disabled at the factory in
order to permit importation into the United States,
hence the TL-922 and TL-922A variants.

As I thought all down to importation/exportation restrictions to some place or another at the time.

Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:47 pm

Advanced Member

Thanks for that Dave..all good education.. You have me thinking along the lines of the none 10 meter version knocked out for the states to start with to deter cbr's ? Then they continued for a period and the gray mkt here took a few thousand..the A model only has 5 bands with the easy option to add ten meters as you and I know so maybe knockdd out on the lines that only competent licenced folk would have the techy skills to modify yhem.

Anyway just a thought. All best 73 Dave. Andy.

Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:22 pm

Advanced Member

Thanks for the edit info and your research Dave ..clears it all up ! Spot on. Best 73.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:29 pm