It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:58 am

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Advanced Member

Post QRP Labs QCX mini Help
I have finished building a QCX mini kit and I am struggling with the final calibration.
I am unable to adjust IQ Balance. I have followed umpteen threads I have found on the web with others having similar issues and also put a post on the QRP labs forum.
I have followed Han's fault finding tutorial and can't find the fault.

The unit does work and I have made one successful QSO.

Even though this is my 3rd QRP labs kit I have built, it is all voodoo and magic how it works such is my electronics knowledge, but each one has been a learning curve.

Is there anyone on hear who could assist in getting to the bottom of what's wrong with it?

Thanks
Paul

Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:46 pm
Profile Send private message

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Contributor 2024

Post Re: QRP Labs QCX mini Help
From https://on7dq.blogspot.com/2020/12/some-notes-on-qcx-mini.html
Quote:
Several people reported that the adjustment of the IQ-Balance with R27 didn't do what was expected.

At first I had the same experience, but after turning the other two trimmers halfway, everything adjusted as described.

Since I think the trimmers are delivered all turned CCW, a suggestion is to first turn R14 and R24 some 5 turns CW, and then start tuning R27.

73, Mark...

Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:50 pm

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Advanced Member

Hi Mark

Thanks for your suggestion.
I have tried centring all 3 pots, first by screwing all the way in then out by 13 turns. I also centred them using using my multimeter to find the centre.
I have tried adjusting the hi setting first as some have suggested. I have tried starting with each one a 1/4 out then 3/4 out while trying to get any sort of adjustment.
Nothing seems to make any difference on the balance, low or high.

Paul

Mon May 01, 2023 10:47 am

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Contributor 2024

I found this on the QRP Labs website:
Quote:
IQ Balance, Lo and Hi Phase null not adjusting

This was the second most common issue reported. It occurs across all the models for various reasons.

Users who report getting a good BPF adjustment but the phase adjustments can't be made because the volume can't be set to a level above “1” or the volume cannot be set lower than level “13”, usually have an issue with the volume pot being poorly soldered on the high side or wiper (low volume level) or the ground side (high volume level).

On QCX Classic models I found this volume pot issue was usually due to poor solder connection to ground.

On QCX+ models the issue on two of them was a damaged potentiometer. Bending the leads caused a disconnect of the bradded connection between the lead and the carbon trace on the pot. This was fixed by squeezing the brad with a thin pair of needle nose pliers.

On QCX Mini models the most common issue was improper soldering of the 2X4 header on top of the control board. The pins on this header do not protrude all the way through the control board. They need a lot of heat and good solder flow down into the plated-through holes with good adhesion to the pin inside the hole. Other issues on the control board can be caused by this and may be mentioned later in this article. One Mini had a bad volume pot and it had to be replaced. It was noisy and it is not repairable.

On one unit, this issue was caused by a leaky C12 which was making no phase change possible at IC6A.
An intermittent C1 on an early Classic model was causing issues with this as well as wth BPF peaking.
IC4 was bad on a few units with this issue. This was usually caused by putting 112 volts on the 5 volt bus and caused other issues as well with failures of most or all of the 5 volt ICs.
Open circuit trace between R17, C10 and Pin 5 of IC6. This was a classic model and was repaired with a short 3-way jumper.
On the Rev 1 version of the QCX Mini, several different models had this issue and other issues due to bad op amps. This was a known problem and corrected with new parts and board tests with the release of Rev 2 of the Mini.
C5 was installed on a 20 meter Mini. The 20 meter and higher units do not use this part. Bandpass filter could not be aligned and test signals were also so weak that the phase and balance adjustments weren't possible either.
IC10 had the wrong bias voltage. This was caused by a cut lead on one of the bias resistors (R39 & 40).

The above quote can be found here >>> https://qrp-labs.com/qcxmini/moretrouble.html#sB

I have a couple of QCXs myself, one is the larger version I bought already assembled with a separate case kit (haven't fitted it in the case yet), and the smaller type (QCX mini), which is still in an unbuilt state :blush: I haven't been 'doing' radio for some time now, just lost all interest in it. I did try one of the CW Academy online courses but that seemed to make the situation worse! :blush:

I see that the assembly manual for the QCX-mini is now up to a whopping 120 pages! Wow, that's a huge manual for such a small kit!

73, Mark...

Mon May 08, 2023 9:41 am

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Advanced Member

Hi Mark

Thanks for taking the time to look around.

Ron the author of the article you posted the link to has been offering me some guidance on the QRP labs group.
I am getting good volume so I am able to set the level to 9 for the adjustment.
As this is a later mini kit the 2x4 header has been changed so is much easier to solder all joints.

All voltages on the various test points are correct as verified by Ron.

Now he has hinted that is could be a faulty cap or more unlikely a faulty IC but says I need a dual band scope to really investigate further.
Don't have one and don't fancy forking out for one as don't fully understand what I am doing.

So Ideally I need some one who does have a scope, knows how to use it, is familiar with the QRP labs products and would be happy to test it for me and tell me if I cocked up or it was supplied with a faulty part.

On a more positive note built my 2nd QDX on Sturdy and that works fine so I now have the matching pair 80-20m and 20-10m.

Cheers
Paul

Tue May 09, 2023 3:54 pm

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Contributor 2024

A daft question, but has yours got the AGC option fitted, and if so was this turned off (from one the menus) while you were attempting to set up the I-Q balance?

The reason I ask is that the I-Q balance level is measured after the volume control (I notice you already mentioned setting the level to 9), but I did see a highlighted note about turning off the AGC before attempting the balance adjustment presumably because the AGC would compensate for the falling audio level as the null point is reached.

I don't have my QCX mini built, but the larger version is assembled, and as far as I know they are the same circuit pretty much (other than the size of the component and layout), so I could maybe fire mine up and make some comparative measurements etc.

I did buy two AGC add-on kits for both of the QCXs here, but they are not fitted at the moment.

I'm not sure just how sharp and deep the null is on one of these rigs, so again, I could look-see what mine does.

73, Mark...

Fri May 12, 2023 11:31 am

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Advanced Member

You got me all excited then Mark. I do have the AGC board but it's not fitted yet.
After reading your post I thought maybe I have been ahead of my self and enabled it.

Anyway just checked and no I hadn't so back to :banghead:

Paul

Mon May 15, 2023 10:00 am

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Contributor 2024

M1TZR wrote:
Hi Mark

Thanks for your suggestion.
I have tried centring all 3 pots, first by screwing all the way in then out by 13 turns. I also centred them using using my multimeter to find the centre.
I have tried adjusting the hi setting first as some have suggested. I have tried starting with each one a 1/4 out then 3/4 out while trying to get any sort of adjustment.
Nothing seems to make any difference on the balance, low or high.

Paul

A few things here. You said you tried screwing the trimmers all the way in and then out by 13 turns? As far as I am aware the trimmers are ten-turn ones, so the half way position would be 5 turns, not 13 (13 turns would just put the wiper right at the end of the track).

Also you mentioned using a multimeter to find the mid-point. Did you do this with the trimmers soldered in place? Looking at the schematic to the rig I see that R17 and R24 both have 10k resistors in parallel with them, and in addition the wipers are shorted to one end of the track in each case. So, if you measured between the ends of the trimmers (pins 1 and 3 as marked on the diagram), then you would expect to see a combined resistance of around 8.333k (this is the 25k of the trimmer mid-point in parallel with the 10k fixed resistor in each case).

I'm not sure if you have the TCXO option, but if you do then have you adjusted the setting in the menu?
Quote:
When using the TCXO module option, change menu item 8.5 Ref frq to 25,000,000. It
is critical to this before any further alignment. Enter the menu system as described
below, and turn to menu 8.5, edit it to 25,000,000.

OK on not having the AGC board fitted. Without the board installed I don't think the menu command has any effect, but I thought I would mention it just in case :)

73, Mark...

Sun May 28, 2023 9:03 am

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Contributor 2024

SORRY!
Above should read
Quote:
...you would expect to see a combined resistance of around 7.142k (this is the 25k of the trimmer mid-point in parallel with the 10k fixed resistor in each case).
It was too late to edit the comment :banghead:
I had calculated for 50k in parallel with 10k, not the 25k as it should have been. :blush:

73, Mark...

Sun May 28, 2023 9:31 am

QRP Labs QCX mini Help 
Advanced Member

Hi Mark

I got the 13 turns from the QRP labs forum, Ron says they are 24 turn. I tested them in situ, can't remember the readings but I went from one end to the other to make sure the resistance was changing which it was.

Paul

Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:00 pm