It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:27 pm

Cheap LED voltage meter ? 
Contributor 2023

Post Re: Cheap LED voltage meter ?
That's great thanks dave appreciate the explanation a bit wiser to its working now !!

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs
Innovantennas 6 ele LFA for 2 mtrs

DX World HF 400w Linear Amplifier

Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:27 am
Profile Send private message

Advanced Member

I'm guessing this is for a linear.

The ones I built had the voltmeter in the linear.

The PSU was always separate, even if in the same box, but especially when it was external, I wanted to know the voltage at the PA.

All the linears I made had a regulator down to 24V, then from that regulators for 15V and 12V to supply relays, bias and control circuits.

I did also use some DC power meters (intended for use on RC and lipos) which gave me the voltage, current and power being drawn from the PSU on a 2X16 LCD display, which was the most useful solution, as it also helped see the efficiency on various bands.

Edit

Found it very quickly, surprising as I have been using them for many years, and certainly haven't bought one for 3 years or more :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255460495878 ... %3A2047675

I take them out of the box, and mount them in the amp, and the SWR RF power meter has the same 16X2 display, so it looks neat.

Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 am

Contributor 2023

gm1zvj wrote:
G0TSG wrote:
Fleabay....

A thanks for that looks as if it will be okay. As I say anything similiar advised a max supply voltage of 30v.
See if I can find the same but a non round shape version :)

Note the reason those simple two wire type only require two wires (but have a minimum voltage they will display down to, ie they don't do 0 to 100 volts, often that minimum is 4 to 5 volts), is because they derive their running power supply for the onboard electronics and display direct from the measured voltage over their stated range, which as long as it is within the stated limits internally regulated down to a constant lower voltage for running the onboard electronics and display, normally about 3 volts DC, and the same two wires also supply the as measured voltage to be displayed.

Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:29 am

Advanced Member

gm1zvj wrote:
Guys trying to find one of these cheap two wire ( sub £10 ) plastic boxed LED readout volt meters that can be powered by up to 54 volts and readout up to the same. Found a few that will handle / readout such voltages ie. Up to 100v or so but can’t be powered at anything more than around 30v max.

Anyone found one ? Ideally would measure amps as well .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154598588628?
Add a 7824 regulator in supply line.
This one comes with the shunt as well for current, and does not appear to come from the land of the balloon.

Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:21 pm

Contributor 2023

Thanks so much guys the advice is always very much appreciated.

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs

Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:30 pm

Contributor 2023

Sangoma wrote:

The PSU was always separate, even if in the same box, but especially when it was external, I wanted to know the voltage at the PA.

All the linears I made had a regulator down to 24V, then from that regulators for 15V and 12V to supply relays, bia

Edit

Found it very quickly, surprising as I have been using them for many years, and certainly haven't bought one for 3 years or more :)

I take them out of the box, and mount them in the amp, and the SWR RF power meter has the same 16X2 display, so it looks neat.

Cheers could be just the thing It's for an eltek powepack 2 50v psu to power a LDMOS HF linear just want to keep an eye on output voltage of the psu

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs

Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:44 pm

Advanced Member

gm1zvj wrote:
Sangoma wrote:

All the linears I made had a regulator down to 24V, then from that regulators for 15V and 12V to supply relays, bia

Edit

Cheers could be just the thing It's for an eltek powepack 2 50v psu to power a LDMOS HF linear just want to keep an eye on output voltage of the psu

I have used Eltek flatpacks (still have a new unused one somewhere), and yes it works fine on them.

I used the Eltec supplies on 1-1.2 kW amp modules, but for the later 600W modules I used a Chinese supply, more conventional, and shorter although fatter.

Is it an amp you are building, or a commercial one?

What protection does it have?

I mounted a protection circuit and one of those meters in a small box between a PSU and the amp, just needed one wire from the amp to cut the DC supply in case of over current, mismatch (which covered wrong filter selected as well as output mismatch), over drive and over temperature.

That was between the time I was using built in supplies and the time I decided I wanted the PSU hidden under the table. Later ones had the meter and cut out in the amp box, so that the main supply stayed on, and just the supply to the PS block was cut, meant I could have a reset button instead of cycling the mains power if the protection circuit tripped.

Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:40 pm

Contributor 2023

Amp is the DXWORLD HF/6mtr version. Says accepts between 48 to 53.5 volts which suits the Eltek fine. Again just want to keep an eye on the pau output as no protection on the linear If things should go wrong . Saying that do these supplies poss have protection circuits to prevent it going over the max voltage ?

Will probably just buy that unit you linked to as I must admitt I like the look of it.could I run it with the same eltek psu that I want to measure its voltage output ? No worries if not would just power of a seperate psu .

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs

Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:07 pm

Contributor 2023

gm1zvj wrote:
Amp is the DXWORLD HF/6mtr version. Says accepts between 48 to 53.5 volts which suits the Eltek fine. Again just want to keep an eye on the pau output as no protection on the linear If things should go wrong . Saying that do these supplies poss have protection circuits to prevent it going over the max voltage ?

Will probably just buy that unit you linked to as I must admitt I like the look of it.could I run it with the same eltek psu that I want to measure its voltage output ? No worries if not would just power of a seperate psu .

They might have over voltage protection, many do, but if unsure you could always fit a suitable retro on the output rails "crowbar over voltage"" clamp down device, but that's another kettle of technical add on fish! :)
Just stick a voltage regulator between the PSU limited adjustable output rails and the supply input of the voltage reading/displaying device, that way you know its being constantly fed well within its ball park working voltage supply range consistently, as opposed to whatever you set the output rails to.
They are simple three leg TO220 devices, input voltage leg, ground/negative leg, and stabilised output voltage leg, add a decoupling cap on input and output pins to ground/negative and away you go, correctly selected supply voltage for the digital meter voltage display concerned.

Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:33 pm

Contributor 2023

Perfect thanks again,

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs

Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:39 pm