It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:09 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

If you are 40 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!! 
Contributor 2017

Post Re: If you are 40 or older you will think this is hilarious!
You can tell the true radio nerds by their memories.

All I remember is my Morris Marina van with a mattress in the back. ;)

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 am
Profile Send private message

Contributor 2017

We used to play on building sites, derelict areas where the bombs had dropped and it was just boarded around, mates knocking furiously at tea time as there was a chimney fire to go and watch (many a time), Sunday school (just a mess about with prayers), being sent to fetch your dad from the pub by an angry mother, smashing windows in the old factories, getting a ride in a car or a tractor or a lorry or a dustcart..

very different

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Contributor 2018

Yes I remember when we had to walk 5 miles to school in our bare feet in the middle of winter.
In those days gobstoppers were the size of footballs and wagon wheels were the size of.........well....wagon wheels
Happy Days !

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Contributor 2018

As a child my family were poor and struggled to make a living. If I needed new clothes my mother would go to the local 'rummage sale' to find me a 'tank top' and some pin striped flared trousers . :lol:

Chips were still wrapped in newspaper and fried in lard . Women would drink 'babycham' down the pub and men would drink 'double diamond'
Lemonade and fizzy orange came in glass bottles made by 'corona' which I soon realised had a deposit on each bottle.
I remember collecting these bottles as a child and then having enough money to buy an 'airfix model' and a fishing net

As I grew older the only way forward for me was to work every weekend and school holiday .

I learned a number of useful skills along the way . I built my own bicycle from a frame and wheels that I fished out of the local river. I earned the money to buy the brake parts,tyres and other pieces. This eventually saved me from walking everywhere or having to pay out money for bus fares .
I was particularly clever at making things out of wood or metal. It was not long afterwards that I found myself repairing things for people.

;) For a hard working young lad living in a village you could always make money by polishing/washing peoples cars. To list a few of the more popular models ....morris traveler , mini clubman, hillman imp ,morris marina, Austin allegro ,ford capri .

:) Gardening ? Grass cutting was the best job in summertime unless the lawn was half an acre that is :rolleyes: . I would often need to repair someones mower before I could even use it .

:) If you wanted to go dancing as a youth it usually involved a discoteque in a local village hall. The guys would not dance as this was deemed 'sissy' so because I actually did dance I soon gained the interest of girls .

Sometimes if I had the funds I would go into Banbury or Stratford to the cinema. I remember that in 1977 the queue to get to see star wars went all the way down to the hospital car park . It was something similar to see grease the following year in 1978 :lol:

Remote controlled tv? :) For a short period we had a small black and white tv because the TV licence was cheaper .
I came home from school and my brother excitedly told me that he had obtained a remote control for it .
to my dismay this turned out to be a glove on the end of a piece of bamboo cane. :lol:

The house where I grew up had no central heating and two open fire places . This was particularly hard in winter especially when the temperatures dipped .
The houses back then were single glazed and the glass would often freeze on the inside after a heavy frost .

Electricity was supplied by a coin meter and if you used too much electricity and ran out of coins we would often have to sit in the dark next to the fire and listen to the radio or sing songs.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Contributor 2017

Well someone had to: https://youtu.be/aNqJyrRyss8

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Contributor 2017

;) For a hard working young lad living in a village you could always make money by polishing/washing peoples cars. To list a few of the more popular models ....morris traveler , mini clubman, hillman imp ,morris marina, Austin allegro ,ford Capri

You had cars? You were lucky!

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Contributor 2017

There was a bull field, and usually a bull in it. We used to dare each other to grab the bulls copper nose ring - if you were successful you could gloat on it for days.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Contributor 2017

All this recent wintry weather and vehicles getting stuck in snow reminded me of coming home from school on the bus in the 70's. The route home involved travelling over a hill (about 800 feet) crossing the middle of the island. As the bus was trying to get up the steep hill it started skidding and sliding on the ice and snow. All the male kids were ordered to get out and shove the bus. It worked, and we all got back on at the top of the hill and continued the journey home. Can you imagine the hullabaloo if that happened today? :shock: :D

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Contributor 2018

MM0TFU wrote:
All this recent wintry weather and vehicles getting stuck in snow reminded me of coming home from school on the bus in the 70's. The route home involved travelling over a hill (about 800 feet) crossing the middle of the island. As the bus was trying to get up the steep hill it started skidding and sliding on the ice and snow. All the male kids were ordered to get out and shove the bus. It worked, and we all got back on at the top of the hill and continued the journey home. Can you imagine the hullabaloo if that happened today? :shock: :D

Been there did that in the 70s...
If it was on the way home, we would push...if it was on the way to school, we would refuse and walk home...
I can also remember pushing the damn thing if the driver stalled it...!!

Evan

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Contributor 2017

I cant imagine kids being made to do gym in their pants if they forgot they kit these days either.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Advanced Member

Sangoma wrote:
G6RRL wrote:
G7BZD wrote:
The phone if I remember correctly was answered by my dad.... Shirley 5399.

Certainly don't and would not do that these days.

Phil - G7BZD

Takes me back -- Hello Coolham 232 in a posh voice

Newton Ferrers 306 :)

I used to answer the phone with - McGarrett Five o

OR

Hello hello this is Rosemary your favorite operator

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Contributor 2018

A bit like this then!:
(Four well-dressed men sitting together at a vacation resort. 'Farewell to Thee' being played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.)

Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Jones: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TJ: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TJ: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, 'Money doesn't buy you happiness.'

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TJ: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TJ: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TJ: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TJ: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..
Thanks Monty Python.
Gerry G4NYC.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 am

Contributor 2017

:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:21 pm