It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 am

EI1SMC Slow Morse Club operation 

Post EI1SMC Slow Morse Club operation
IRTS News report that from the 17th to the 25th of July 2021 the Slow Morse Club will celebrate its very first complete year of operation. The club is about doing 'exactly what it says on the tin,' using slow morse, whether the operators are experienced or newbies to the mode.

To help celebrate this event John EI3HQB, Keith EI5KJ and possibly a few others will be operating the special call sign EI1SMC (Slow Morse Club) during the above dates. Other international members of the club will be on air with special event call signs as well during this period using their own countries' prefixes and the suffix 'SMC'. Please listen out for them and give them a call. Operation will be at various times and bands depending on propagation.

These will be QRS CW operation, no QRQ. If you haven't used a key for a while or if you've never put CW on air but have the basic skill and feel you'd like to give it a try then here is a good opportunity to have a bash with a gentle, slow, CW QSO. It does not have to be a long ragchew, just a simple rubber stamp contact if you prefer.

Remember; 17th to 25th of July, all Slow Morse Club stations will welcome you. So, if propagation won't allow you to work EI1SMC then tune around for one of the other club stations

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:07 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Advanced Member

Post Re: EI1SMC Slow Morse Club operation
How slow is slow?

www.Bantenna.co.uk

Will a dilithium xtal set send the signals faster or.just warp my key?

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:51 am
Profile Send private message

Contributor 2023

G4YVM wrote:
How slow is slow?

I would imagine 5/6 wpm?, any less and you may as well wave flags! :)

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:54 am

Advanced Member

5 to 6? Stewth. Thats not Morse thats flicking the lights on and off.

www.Bantenna.co.uk

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:37 am

Contributor 2023

G4YVM wrote:
5 to 6? Stewth. Thats not Morse thats flicking the lights on and off.

:D
It was the bar that the pass level was reduced to for some, before they scrapped it completely! :lol:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:53 am

Advanced Member

I would agree, there are many who can manage 5wpm who don't often work CW

I always still look at 12wpm as being normal, and 15wpm as being comfortable.

Though there is not a lot of difference in difficulty between reading a character at 20wpm compared to 12, a lot more skill is required to read it and write it down being certain not to miss a character whilst writing.

25 wpm is expert to me, but I suspect that many stations operating over 20wpm are using a PC or similar, I can't often tell the difference by ear, between PC Morse and good hand Morse but sometimes things get given away.
I'm sure the good operators can tell the difference though.

To prevent it becoming an elitist club mode, I think t would help if more people operated 12-15wpm normally, it would increase activity a lot.

I think the idea is great, pity it is such a short time :)

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:46 am

Advanced Member

12 to 15 is too slow fpr many. I usually romp along at 18 to 21. Slower and it loses its musicality and becomes hard for me. 18 to 20 is comfy and i feel the "right" speed. Most regular users seem to be there

www.Bantenna.co.uk

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:09 pm

Advanced Member

G4YVM wrote:
12 to 15 is too slow fpr many. I usually romp along at 18 to 21. Slower and it loses its musicality and becomes hard for me. 18 to 20 is comfy and i feel the "right" speed. Most regular users seem to be there

Understood, personally if I try and send at 20. my wrist gives up very quickly, and I start making a lot of errors.

Whilst it is too slow for many, that many is the people on the air.
What about the many that don't come on because they can't manage it?

Also there is a big difference between getting a call sign and signal report and telling a story about how the dog jumped over the fence.

I think there is a big gap between the regulars at 20wpm and those who can just manage the old test speed of 12wpm, and a pity it can't be bridged to get more people active.

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm

Advanced Member

Well it can be bridged but a far better bridge is for them to improve their speeds! Sending a lot of cw can be hard on the wrists which is why bugs and paddles were invented. Please kill the bugs but paddles are good. I cannot be accurate but my gut tells me that MOST amateurs are running at 18-20, with many more at 18. Those that cant send fast enough are usually the ones with a key at the back of the bench and a big shiny microphone in prode of place...wrong way round fellas! The skill to do comes from doing. Get the cw to 20 then go back to the mic occasionally.

Ive just spent a very nice afternoon on Pepperbox Hill working SSB with some CW thrown in. I never work SSB from home but I actually really enjoyed this /portable operation today. I had my own aerial and a G90. Amazing combo. Some lovely signals on 20m including an SP7 running 1.2KW (but he says he often uses the full 2.4Kw!).

www.Bantenna.co.uk

Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:37 pm

Advanced Member

That's fine for the enthusiasts :)

I've really had little interest in CW, I had use as we had to have 200 CW contacts before we could use SSB.

I use it occasionally now, but not as much as I would like to. I have only had one CW QSO with a G station since I have been back here !

I set a target to get to 20wpm by the beginning of the school holidays, but it looks like another one that will be missed :(

I have carpal tunnel syndrome, so it is not just aching wrists.

And I have paddle keys, and even the uBITX has a keyer built in, but I don't really enjoy it.

Many years ago, when passing a lake, I was told it was full of big fish, but there were no small ones.
Sounds just like CW :D

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:24 pm

Advanced Member

Ha ha. Actually steve so long as you enjoy Morse, use it. If you dont...dont! Im not a cw primadonna, i just think its the right way to use a radio ha ha. Joke.

www.Bantenna.co.uk

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Advanced Member

I joined the Royal Navy as a Boy Telegraphist in 1948 and after 15 months training (in all kinds of subjects) our requirement for Morse passing out was 22wpm writing it down on paper and 25wpm copying it on a typewriter and I remember during the Korean War the Hong Kong Fleet broadcast was upped from 25wpm to 29wpm because traffic was so high. Nowadays I'm happy at around 20-22wpm using paddles but I will always slow down if a slow station calls me and vice versa if I hear a slow station calling. Long live CW.
73 de Ken G3RFH

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:37 am

Special CW Event
To celebrate the 1st anniversary of the international group 'The Slow Morse Club' on Facebook, the special callsigns TM1SMC (operated by Jeff/F4IIQ) for France, GB1SMC (operated by Ray/G0OKR) for England and EI1SMC (operated by John/EI3HQB and Keith/EI5KJ) for Ireland will be active between July 17-25th.

This group aims to encourage new operators and SWLs to learn Morse code, but also to bring together those who enjoy CW at a more relaxing pace. The group already brings together more than 1,800 members around the globe.

The callsign TM1SMC will be active on the bands between 80-2 meters on CW and SSB. A special paper
QSL card will be sent by the Bureau to each station present in the log and to the SWLs which request it.

Please send your QSL and SWL reports via F4IIQ (QSL Manager). Do not hesitate to consult the TM1SMC QRZ.com page for more information about the event.

You can can find the group's FaceBook page at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3231315733622032

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:14 am
Profile Send private message WWW