It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:08 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

FISTS or not, how can we tell? 
Advanced Member

Post FISTS or not, how can we tell?
Hi folks.

Is there any way to tell if you are are still a paid up FISTS member?

I seem to recall a while ago that because of problems within FISTS (and the news letter/magazine not being produced), memberships were be carried over beyond their usual 12 month time span.

So what's the state of play with FISTS these days? Has the clock started ticking again and are fees due?

The organisation of the UK chapter seems a bit haphazard at times.

Is the news letter now only sent out as a PDF or download, or are printed copies also available?

I know there is an email address shown on the FISTS site (members@fists.co.uk) but the few times I've tried that approach in the past I've had no response (though the emails did not 'bounce').

My G-QRP club membership is always quite clear as to how long I'm paid up for, and when it will expire, so too my ARRL membership.

But FISTS always leaves me scratching my head :scratch:

Practise is a verb meaning ‘do something repeatedly to improve a skill’. It is a systematic training by multiple repetitions to master that skill.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:52 pm
Profile Send private message

Contributor 2019

Post Re: FISTS or not, how can we tell?
It seems to be coming to a sticky end, which is a great pity, one of the few publications I will miss.

If you go to the members area, it will tell you when your membership expires.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Advanced Member

My mag came a few days ago & full of fairly interesting stuff.

G8ADP in 1964 then G4MBS in 1981 for CW on microwaves esp 10GHz tropo/rain scatter. QRT for 33 years. Moved to GW in 2016 pottering on 6/4/2/70/23 seeing what can be achieved from down in a valley where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:39 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Advanced Member

There is a limit to what you can say about Morse. It's a 'doing' thing. The old guys who worked Morse in its Military / Marine heyday have mostly gone to the great shack in the sky, and results tables and ladders are only of interest to those who took part.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Advanced Member

Sangoma wrote:
It seems to be coming to a sticky end, which is a great pity, one of the few publications I will miss.

If you go to the members area, it will tell you when your membership expires.

This is one of the reasons I asked on here, I can't get in to the members area due to the password/s being changed over time.

On at least two occasions the password was changed (by FISTS), and I struggled to get the info about the new password/s. At one time I tried three or four emails to no avail, and pretty much gave up on it. By chance I bumped in to one of the FISTS hierarchy and they told me the password as it was at the time. That was OK for a while, then it was changed again(?).

Early on I used to have the magazine/news letter delivered (that lasted for a whole ONE issue), and then nothing more turned up. Various problems and changes of policy (so I was lead to believe) meant that it would be better to receive the publication via email. That avenue also dried up.

I'm not sure now if you are supposed to download the latest issue from the members area? That brings me back to my first problem, not being able to log in and not being sure if I'm still a member :shock: :shock:

Practise is a verb meaning ‘do something repeatedly to improve a skill’. It is a systematic training by multiple repetitions to master that skill.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Contributor 2018

Have you tried joining their reflector and see if you get any joy?

https://groups.io/g/Fistscw

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Contributor 2018

Fists is still well

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:57 am

Contributor 2019

G4YVM wrote:
Fists is still well

Is Keynotes going to become regular again?

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:24 am

Advanced Member

Sangoma wrote:
G4YVM wrote:
Fists is still well

Is Keynotes going to become regular again?

Regular as clockwork, once in a lifetime (in my case) :D

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:28 am

Contributor 2018

More volunteering and less sniping would go a long way to helping the situation, although i do appreciate everyones frustrations. Its been a tough time for the KN crew, one way and another

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Advanced Member

G4YVM wrote:
More volunteering and less sniping would go a long way to helping the situation, although i do appreciate everyones frustrations. Its been a tough time for the KN crew, one way and another

So what you're saying is we pay our subs (if they are due) to FISTS, and then we sit down and write, publish, and finally post a copy of KeyNotes to ourselves?

:scratch:

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:36 am

Intermediate Member

Hello Mark, I'm a little surprised to see your comments! you should have received your copy of the KeyNote magazine over the Christmas period, hopefully Fists is now back on an even keel, as you know the fists management team are all volunteers, and none of us are getting any younger, so when illness strikes it affects the whole of the team, there are only three of us who take care of the day to day running of the club, I'm also surprised by your comment about email! that particular address is directly connected to me! I've searched all emails in the past year and can find none from you, I keep all email correspondence for one year, sorry to hear about the lack of your KeyNote mag' I note from my archive, you last downloaded your copy on 3rd august 2014 I am unsure why you say we (Fists) changed your password! we can NOT see your personal passwords! I see that you last requested a password was 3rd jan 2014, please send an email to me at members@fists.co.uk or john@fists.co.uk m0cdl@fists.co.uk any of these will work! I can also change the way you receive your KeyNote mag' please let me know how you want it delivered , downloaded version or posted paper version, the posted version is slightly more expensive to cover postage costs, But as David was trying to say, the magazine needs articles from members, hope this helps, hopefully we can sort this out very soon, wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous new year,73 for nw, John M0CDL Fists Management Team, :hello:

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:30 pm

Advanced Member

M0CDL wrote:
Hello Mark, I'm a little surprised to see your comments! you should have received your copy of the KeyNote magazine over the Christmas period, hopefully Fists is now back on an even keel, as you know the fists management team are all volunteers, and none of us are getting any younger, so when illness strikes it affects the whole of the team, there are only three of us who take care of the day to day running of the club, I'm also surprised by your comment about email! that particular address is directly connected to me! I've searched all emails in the past year and can find none from you, I keep all email correspondence for one year, sorry to hear about the lack of your KeyNote mag' I note from my archive, you last downloaded your copy on 3rd august 2014 I am unsure why you say we (Fists) changed your password! we can NOT see your personal passwords! I see that you last requested a password was 3rd jan 2014, please send an email to me at members@fists.co.uk or john@fists.co.uk m0cdl@fists.co.uk any of these will work! I can also change the way you receive your KeyNote mag' please let me know how you want it delivered , downloaded version or posted paper version, the posted version is slightly more expensive to cover postage costs, But as David was trying to say, the magazine needs articles from members, hope this helps, hopefully we can sort this out very soon, wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous new year,73 for nw, John M0CDL Fists Management Team, :hello:

The email I had issues with was directed to an M0B** callsign?

At the time the site had (as far as I am aware) a common password for accessing the members area.

Only one issue of KN ever appeared (printed version), and at the time I could get no joy at all when using the contact email address on the FISTS site.

I attempted contact again (using the same M0B** email, or at least that was the person responsible at the time), and I never had any responses. A total of four emails were sent over a period of maybe a few months. As mentioned above, I finally bumped in to the said M0B** when he happened to visit the emporium I worked at at the time. I told him about the emails and he in return told me the (communal?) password to gain access to the downloads (it was something obvious at the time like "morsekey" or "telegraph" or some such).

I used that for maybe two times, and then I found that it did not work, the password had been changed (or maybe the site had been changed to unique logins?). Anyhow, I tried again (twice possibly) to again contact the M0B** responsible (as far as I was aware), and I was met with the same lack of response to emails.

You say that I downloaded KN in 2014? To be honest, I would have said that the last download was much earlier than that (I have had a number of PCs/laptops since then, any emails were archived to passport drives, as also were any downloads or other items I needed to keep). Same too for the request of a password. Again I would have said it was much earlier (and to the M0B** email address or recipient).

My feeling toward trying the contact email address on the site is like pressing a button to request an elevator. If after several presses and much waiting the elevator does not arrive I assume it is broken and use the stairs instead. ;)

If the 'elevator' has now been repaired, I'll give it another try :thumbsup:

Having said thus so far, my on-air activity is scant these days to say the least. The HF bands seems awash with electrical noise and getting worse all of the time. Most recently the next door neighbour has purchased a new washing machine that does a really good job of wiping out 3.558MHz.

At first I thought it was some nearby cheap xmas lights that were PWMing away on a nearby house, but then I noticed the noise did not correspond to their flashing. So a bit more searching with a handheld spectrum analyser (and listening) showed the source of the noise to be the neighbours new washing machine! The noise centred or peaks at 3.68MHz and extended out for hundreds of kilohertz either side of that frequency.

When the washer is agitating the clothes the noise increases in strength then dies down again (over and over). When the washer is spinning (I know this because I can audibly hear the washer), the noise is continuous. It tends to be 10dB or more stronger than the strongest signals on 3.558MHz :banghead:

It also wipes out 3.56MHz too. If I tune around it's possible to detect the noise anywhere from top band to 20m (and maybe beyond, but I tend to listen only on the lower bands).

Maybe in ten or fifteen years the washer will finally wear out and the noise floor will drop again... :D

And before anyone suggest that I have a word with them, forget it. They only have two states, awake and shouting at each other or fast asleep. Think of neighbours from hell and you'll be on the right track...

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:54 am