It is currently Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:54 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Computer CW 
Intermediate Member

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:03 pm
Posts: 93
Location: North Worcestershire
Feedback: 7 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Computer CW
Since I am in "lockdown" I have a bit more time to operate CW and also to moan :-)

Why Oh Why do some operators on HF send at such silly speeds? They must be using a computer to do it, they seem to sit calling CQ for hours without a reply, surely they must realise the speed is so high no one can read it, well, I can't!

Another thing, If I call CQ at 18 wpm I do not expect a reply at 30 wpm, I cant read it and now I sadly just ignore such replies. If you hear me and call me at 5 wpm that is the speed I will reply at, it's only polite.

With the bands opening up again maybe it time to restore some order to them. Lets have a compulsory 10 kHz section of the HF bands that are free from contest operators.

Moans over Geoff


Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:18 pm
Profile Send private message

 Computer CW 
Online
Contributor 2021
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:13 am
Posts: 634
Location: Rochester, Kent. JO01fj
Feedback: 99 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
This biggest moan I have Geoff, is the lack of space between their CQs to squeeze a reply in! So many times I have answered with just my call and as the QSK drops out I hear them half-way through the next CQ ... I often just give up ....

73 David G4NRT

_________________
Rochester, Kent / JO01fj
http://www.g4nrt.com
MAY THE MORSE BY WITH YOU


Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:06 pm
Profile Send private message

 Computer CW 
Intermediate Member

Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:07 pm
Posts: 96
Location: lincoln IO93RF
Feedback: 2 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
and then there are the ones that do not know how to space the characters correctly and it ends up
in an un-readable mess !! i have military experience of hand sent morse but some of this is awful.


Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:21 pm
Profile Send private message

 Computer CW 
Contributor 2020
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 8:02 pm
Posts: 66
Location: Bristol IO81RL
Feedback: 12 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
G4NRT wrote:
This biggest moan I have Geoff, is the lack of space between their CQs to squeeze a reply in! So many times I have answered with just my call and as the QSK drops out I hear them half-way through the next CQ ... I often just give up ....

73 David G4NRT


This, every time. Even when it's not a contest.

_________________
GQRP 15104 - SKCC 17277 - CWOPS 2080 - LIDS_CW 156 - FPQRP 3727 - FFQRP 67

Running a bareback KX3 into a bit of wet string and a shonky homebrew vertical.
QRP: hope springs eternal.


Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 pm
Profile Send private message

 Computer CW 
Online
Contributor 2020
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 21681
Location: Shropshire UK IO82TN
Feedback: 6 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
G0JPS wrote:
G4NRT wrote:
This biggest moan I have Geoff, is the lack of space between their CQs to squeeze a reply in! So many times I have answered with just my call and as the QSK drops out I hear them half-way through the next CQ ... I often just give up ....

73 David G4NRT


This, every time. Even when it's not a contest.

Seconded, you could often be forgiven for thinking the repetitive CQ calls were just a machine generated endless loop, while whichever operator has set it in motion is actually off doing something else as opposed to seriously looking for any replies, with the only reply even remotely fast enough to squeeze into the ridiculously short pause between CQ calls, being yet another "CW machine" with a fast processor! :D
Sadly these days my human processor and associated hardware is running a tad slower than their machine ones! ;)

_________________
Dave G0BHD.
Been there and got the T shirt, sadly like the T shirt the memory of it has long since faded, gone rather tatty, and finally been consigned to the bin!


Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:08 am
Profile Send private message

 Computer CW 
Advanced Member

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:09 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Cleveleys, Blackpool, Lancashire. LOC IO83LV
Feedback: 1 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
I agree with all the foregoing. In CW contests that I enter, I ignore all computer generated morse because most of the time they are using a computer to read the incoming stuff! That's not CW, its keyboard operating and has no place in CW. They should stick to RTTY.
73 de Ken G3RFH


Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:17 am
Profile Send private message

 Computer CW 
Intermediate Member

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:03 pm
Posts: 93
Location: North Worcestershire
Feedback: 7 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
I am pleased I am not alone....


Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:41 pm
Profile Send private message

 Computer CW 
Contributor 2020
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:32 pm
Posts: 5018
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
Feedback: 21 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
2E0XXO wrote:
and then there are the ones that do not know how to space the characters correctly and it ends up
in an un-readable mess !! i have military experience of hand sent morse but some of this is awful.


Including a lot of people using their beloved bugs. Hateful things in the wrong hands... dots set to 700wpm, dashes set to 6 and spaces more variable than easter.

_________________
David. G4YVM


Bantenna.co.uk
HF vertical...no radials needed.

80-10m endfed


Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:02 pm
Profile Send private message

 Computer CW 
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:41 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: Walsall IO82XN
Feedback: 5 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
G4YVM wrote:
Including a lot of people using their beloved bugs. Hateful things in the wrong hands... dots set to 700wpm, dashes set to 6 and spaces more variable than easter.


They refer to that style of sending as "banana boat swing"...

Maybe many of the QRQ CQ's are simply folks testing antennas/propagation via the reverse beacon network, and are possibly not really interested in having qso's at all.


73, Mark...

_________________
# G-QRP # FISTS # SKCC # LIDS CW #

https://forum.brasspounder.net


Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:49 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

 Computer CW 
Intermediate Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:42 am
Posts: 70
Location: io94 jm near redcar
Feedback: 0 (0%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
Mine is when they send S K as two separate letters instead of together as 'SK' , I always assume I have spoke to a computer when that happens if the rest of the QSO had clean Morse.

I like to reply with it correctly then finish with a V A, seperate

_________________
B. U. G / SKCC / FISTS


Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 pm
Profile Send private message

 Computer CW 
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:41 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: Walsall IO82XN
Feedback: 5 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
G0KVL wrote:
Mine is when they send S K as two separate letters instead of together as 'SK' , I always assume I have spoke to a computer when that happens if the rest of the QSO had clean Morse.

I like to reply with it correctly then finish with a V A, seperate



I can't see why you would want to send a "V" and an "A" separately when you have just sent the procedure character correctly? :scratch:


73, Mark...

_________________
# G-QRP # FISTS # SKCC # LIDS CW #

https://forum.brasspounder.net


Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:48 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

 Computer CW 
Contributor 2020
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:32 pm
Posts: 5018
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
Feedback: 21 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Computer CW
G0KZZ wrote:
G0KVL wrote:
Mine is when they send S K as two separate letters instead of together as 'SK' , I always assume I have spoke to a computer when that happens if the rest of the QSO had clean Morse.

I like to reply with it correctly then finish with a V A, seperate



I can't see why you would want to send a "V" and an "A" separately when you have just sent the procedure character correctly? :scratch:


73, Mark...


To.make a.point?

_________________
David. G4YVM


Bantenna.co.uk
HF vertical...no radials needed.

80-10m endfed


Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:27 pm
Profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.