It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Here I go again... 
Contributor 2019

Post Re: Here I go again...
I found it useful to translate anything you see into morse, car number plates, street signs etc, really gets the language into your brain. Your doing in right to use higher speed letters with longer gaps.
Do t give up, it took me 23 years to take and pass the test!, stupid really because I knew all the letters and numbers from listening to beacons etc...

Fri May 15, 2020 8:48 pm
Profile Send private message

Here I go again... 
Advanced Member

I actually found that I was really struggling, lots of mistakes and such and I thought it was possibly because I was varying the speed both of the individual letters and the spaces between them.
I thought I'd start again, and this time started with the LCWO.net course. As the minimum character speed is 18WPM it's a challenge, but in a way I think it's better as the pattern of the characters sounds more like what I hear on the SDR. I'm also taking it slower, doing lots of practice of the current letter set before moving on to the next letter, even taking a few days at some of the lessons.

Overall progress is slower, but I feel happier and I feel like I am making progress. On the letters I've been doing the longest, I don't think about them at all, I just write them down.

I will make the first CW QSO before the end of the year, but I have adjusted my expectation of how quickly I can do this, and it seems to be working for me.

Onward and upward at 600Hz and 5WPM overall speed :D

Sat May 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Here I go again... 
Advanced Member

I understand that people are probably getting rather tired of these updates, but I'm finding it a useful motivation exercise so I will continue, whether anyone reads them or not.

Having acquired a Kent straight key from an HRD member, and a KX2 from another, I thought I'd use the KX2 and the key as a very expensive practice oscillator. Incidentally, that's really easy to do with a KX2!

Anyway, previously I'd had this notion that it was probably better to learn to copy well first and then start sending, but when I started trying to send the letters as I was hearing them (at 18WPM on LCWO.net) I was much more comfortable with them and I think I remember them better. I obviously cannot send at 18WPM, but listening to the rhythm and matching more slowly really helps.

I also don't know whether using a straight key is a better way to learn or not, but I hear that moving from a straight key to a paddle is easier than vice versa, and I do want to be able to send with a key, so I figured that's the way I'd go.

I've had some good days and some tougher ones, but I'm still seeing progress, and I'm still enjoying it.

As always, any comments on the above drivel gratefully received.

Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Here I go again... 
Contributor 2019

I'm glad you are still enjoying the learning, that's the main thing. You post away as much as you like, that's what the forum is for.

They say you shouldn't send before you can copy properly, but quite honestly I can't see any harm if you want to have a little rattle on the key as well. I must admit I'm hard pushed to send 18WPM on a straight key, anything above that speed I have to go over to the electronic keyer using a single paddle key, I can't seem to get to grips with this Iambic malarkey. I think stick with the straight key for now till your speed increases, then try the paddle because it's a different technique and a different set of muscles involved.

Fri May 22, 2020 2:59 pm