It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:34 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Hello from G7SRV 

Post Hello from G7SRV
Hi to all
I have recently retired, a little early, and am reaquanting myself with the world of amateur radio. My father was in the Royal Signals for his national service and was stationed in Trieste from 1945. He instilled in me an interest in radio from an early age. He never sat his RAE but we both did an evening class at the Mid-Sussex Amateur Radio Society in the early 70's. Although I found it interesting I was too young (10) to have a go at the test. We had an old AR-88 at home that I would tinker around with.
Anyway fast forward a few years and I eventually did take and pass my RAE in the early 90's and got my class B licence with the callsign G7SRV. I did study Morse, with a view to emulating my fathers fluency and speed with it, but struggled to be relaible at 12 wpm, I was comfortable at about 10 and so naturally failed my test, but never got around to retaking it. I never got onto HF other than on the club station and then of course the licensing changed.
Due to a variety of personal reasons my interest in amateur radio lapsed, for quite a while as you can probably tell.
So anyway I now have the time and interest to rediscover this hobby and found this forum on my internet travels. I still have an ageing FT290 that I need to fire up and check over but as yet I do not have any sensible aerials. I need to get something sorted to enable some forays onto 2m, and maybe eventually on HF budget, brain and virus permitting.
Paul G7SRV

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:45 pm
Profile Send private message

Hello from G7SRV 

Post Re: Hello from G7SRV
Welcome Paul to HRD enjoy the forum. Welcome back to the hobby.

-------------------------------------------
Kenwood TS-570DG, Ranger 811h.
RAOTA, RSGB.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:29 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Hello from G7SRV 

Post Re: Hello from G7SRV
Paul Welcome back to the hobby.

I presume you have got your license all sorted at Ofcom with the horrendous online portal. Around my part of the world, the only thing you get on 2m is temporary traffic lights. Get a nice dipole up for 20m and a cheap hf rig. The icom 7300 are not too bad priced second hand and are one of the best Hf rigs available.

Hope to catch you in the log

cheers
Billy
GM6DX

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:41 pm
Profile Send private message WWW