It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:40 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

Post Encouraging start on 6m
Having decided to give 6m a go, while the Sporadic E season is upon us, unlike my previous QTH, backing onto open countryside, where 'aerial farms' were no problem, aesthetics now limit what I want to erect in terms of external antennas.

As such I have simple 22ft vertical at the bottom of the garden for HF (lots of buried radials), and a 5 Ele beam for 2m in the loft, which has works quite well, when life appears on the band. ;)

The vertical, being fed via a long run of coax, is a bit deaf on 6m, so I ordered a 6m halo.

I spent yesterday afternoon installing this in the loft space, and after a bit of 'tweaking' got it nicely down to 1.5:1 VSWR in the CW section of the band.

After a busy day doing other things today, late this afternoon I had a quick listen on the band.

Starting at the bottom end, the first good signal I heard was 4O0BMN, the 20W beacon in Montengro, a distance of 1700km.

Then lots of stations from the Balkans area, Austria, and Italy, with some pushing the S meter to S9.

Didn't get the chance to transmit, as I was interrupted by a call for dinner :) .

However, certainly an encouraging start, with a simple unity gain antenna mounted in the loft.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:31 pm
Profile Send private message

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2017

Post Re: Encouraging start on 6m
If you get going on FT8 Dave you will be really surprised at what you can hear.

Most of the activity on 6M nowadays is up on 50.313

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2018

Oh god FT8..…………..

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

g4rra wrote:
If you get going on FT8 Dave you will be really surprised at what you can hear.

Most of the activity on 6M nowadays is up on 50.313

Ok, thanks for the info.

I am equipped for digital modes, but have to be honest and say that I'm not a great fan, as it's a bit impersonal.

At least with cw, you are talking directly with a human, and not via a computer. I will at least have a listen, and see just what's out there.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2017

I'm much the same,not overly keen on digital modes but the activity on 6M on the more traditional modes has seriously declined this year its been very noticable during some of the bigger openings,especially those towards the caribbean.

Anyway its well worth having a look up there if your station is a bit limited.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:34 am

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

g4rra wrote:
Anyway its well worth having a look up there if your station is a bit limited.

..even if you just use it as a propagation indicator. The great thing is that everyone is on a single freq, so you can leave the Rx running and come back later to see what you've picked up. You might be quite surprised.

A71EM was down on CW yesterday evening with a really good signal, reckon he would have been workable with a simple setup.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:40 am

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

I will definitely have a listen 313, even if as you say, just the see what is out there.

I also think that the Beacons are a good indicator of when conditions are up, as in general, they are running low power into simple antennas, as opposed to amateurs running high power into high gain arrays.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

Just had a listen on the band (around 17.00 ish), and conditions are way down on what they were yesterday.

There is a contest on, and I was listening with interest to G8XVJ/P in IO93AD, at 238Km distance.

He was obviously only hearing and working G stations, as unlike yesterday, I wasn't hearing anything outside of the UK.

He was a steady 5/5 with me so I gave him a call with my loft mounted 'squalo', and he came back with a 5/5, which was pleasing, given my less than good antenna setup.

He must be just at the right distance, as many of the G stations he was working, were either very weak, or inaudible with me.

BTW, this is the first entry in my Log since last November. :)

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

Ah, now I know why G8XVJ/P was a good signal with me, when many of the other distant G stations weren't.

His grid locator puts him on the Leek to Buxton road, in the peak district, and almost certainly at Merriton Low, which is at 1600ft ASL.

I operated 2m /P from there one evening, around 1977, when I was on a residential radio training course in Staffordshire.

Circa 10W of ssb out, from a borrowed Liner 2, and a 4 ele beam on a 10ft pole. Worked right down to the Isle of Wight, and as far into Europe as Switzerland.

Non stop contacts , until eventually it got pretty late, and we had to drive back to our accommodation, as such had to close down.

I was accompanied by a young G4DDK, now of Anglian Transverter fame, and keen Microwave constructor, and EME operator.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2017

Its been open to the States on and off pretty much all afternoon from here.

Map is stations heard on FT8 in the last 6 hours on the 6 Metre band from IO80BS.

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 11.97 KiB | Viewed 458 times ]

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

G3XSA wrote:
I also think that the Beacons are a good indicator of when conditions are up, as in general, they are running low power into simple antennas, as opposed to amateurs running high power into high gain arrays.

Surprisingly, they're not. Up until this year I used the beacons as a propagation indicator, as I have done for the last 29 years on 6m. FT8 seems to have changed that - if you monitor .313 for FT8 there can be quite a lot of signals before the CW beacons appear. Many times this season I've picked up a load of signals on .313 then gone through my radio memories to check the beacons and heard nothing.

The other day we had a nice openings to the Caribbean, I worked 5 HI stations but the HI8 beacon on 50.008 was only just popping out of the noise. Maybe the beacons should now incorporate some low-signal data mode as well as CW?

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2018

I am located in Essex, not very far away from G3XSA, and with a similarly limited antenna, a coaxial dipole in the loft.
I did hear a few EA stations during the contest and an Italian in fact I heard G8XVJ/P working one of them. So there was some sporadic E conditions today.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

g4rra wrote:
Its been open to the States on and off pretty much all afternoon from here.

Map is stations heard on FT8 in the last 6 hours on the 6 Metre band from IO80BS.

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

I guess with digital modes taking over amateur radio, we have to call it progress, and either join in, or give up.

As I said, I am equipped with the necessary interface, and software, and did give the PSK modes a try, but found talking to a machine, very sterile, impersonal, and more 'rubber stamp', than 'rubber stamp'. No interaction, just pre-written macros most all of the time.

As a lifetime CW enthusiast, I find the digital modes about as lacking in operating skill as you can get, but I will give it another try, at least on 6m.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:33 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Contributor 2017

I'm with Darrell on that point,in fact I would almost go as far as saying many 6M beacons are a bit redundant nowadays mainly because signals on FT8 appear way before beacons.
The only ones that are really useful are the ones located in areas of No/Low activity,there again if theres no activity there's not a lot of joy in just listening to a beacon :D

Conditions still good down here,VY2ZM was 599 on 50.081 about 30mins ago, I was also lucky enough to find Nobby J3/G0VJG calling CQ with no takers on 50.122 ssb.

Just checked (21:36) and VY2ZM is still on 50,081 calling for Europe

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Encouraging start on 6m 
Advanced Member

g4rra wrote:
The only ones that are really useful are the ones located in areas of No/Low activity,there again if theres no activity there's not a lot of joy in just listening to a beacon :D

Yes, a few years ago I was tuning around 6m late one summer night and found J88ARC/B the St Vincent & Grenadines beacon but no one was around. Likewise with ZD8SIX down on Ascension Isl.

You were in the right place yesterday Paul, very little up here - just got a sniff of VP9/WA4PGM for a few minutes. The sporadic nature of 6m I guess, openings can be very localised. I saw Nigel G3TXF trying to complete with OA4TT, wonder if he made it?

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:13 am