It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:18 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Forget the quality feel the W I D T H PW 2m contest 
Contributor 2019

Post Re: Forget the quality feel the W I D T H PW 2m contest
G0UWK wrote:
Andy,
When I did the video I kept it running to show a much stronger contest station who’s signal despite being stronger was also well within the limits of what I'd class as a clean signal.
I know where the RSGB are going with that statement, and to be fair they have come up with a valid point that is useful for checking your front end overload threshold.
In the case of ZRE I think this is not applicable as his signal was poor- period.
I doubt that you were experiencing front end overload some 150km away from a low power entrant, next year I will make a point of trying to be around for this contest and we will see what happens.

At the very least Dave must be aware his signal is under scrutiny and he will need to work on it to improve matters.
Personally I don’t like the last statement made, it reads as a cop out, how does the RSGB know that your overall score has not been affected? Any stations that were weak within 30khz of ZRE would have been very difficult to have an exchange with.

Thanks for the update
Ian

Agree Ian, its a bloody disgrace & sham!

M0HJO is proud to have served his Country.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:41 pm
Profile Send private message

Bring it up at the contest forum.
If none of you will be there, I'll pass on any documentation that's produced.

They have sorted other issues, so why not this?

Until recently, the Contest Committee was mainly HF guys, hopefully that is now sorted and there will be more understanding.

Cheers

Tony

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Contributor 2019

Tony, you say at the contest forum, where is this forum?

To everyone...

I have replied to the adjudicator as follows in italic - I have removed the persons details ......

thanks for getting back to me. I too have to apologise for a delay as I have just found this email lurking in my spam folder.

I have read your email and thought about it re the GW8ZRE/P matter and I have to say I am very disappointed. This is the second year our club has set up and operated both the RSGB and Practical wireless contests. Last year (2013) we and other stations experienced problems with G8ZRE, these issues were effectively of having a 'wide' signal.
As we were on a hillside we considered our station may have been at fault so we just kept a 'safe' distance from G8ZRE. However after the event we communicated with at least two other stations who found problems with the G8ZRE signal. Clearly we had not tackled G8ZRE on air as suggested by both the RSGB and PW contests but I did include the details in our logs. The response of both contest organisers was to paraphrase 'SORRY, BUT WE CAN'T HELP AS YOU DID NOT TACKLE THE STATION ON AIR'

We learnt from that and this year we challenged GW8ZRE/P very early on as below in bold italic text..... ( I then listed two times I challenged the station on air, over three hours apart).....

So having listened to the adjudicators comments in 2013 we did the right thing and followed the advice, we complained on air to the 'offending' station twice and on two other occasions tried to complain on air, but we did not get a reply. Personally I believe GW8ZRE/P ignored our GT1IOM/P call sign as he did not respond to it yet could hear a different call sign using the same radio equipment.

A number of long term amateurs told me that the contest adjudicators would ignore our complaints, now whilst you have not ignored them you have not really done anything about them. Whilst we were pleased by our results we can only wonder what our score may have been had this wide / AMing station gone away.

To close, thanks for the top result but it is tinged with sourness. We tried our best, followed the rules and see that this fella is apparently ignoring some rules yet getting a result. Will we bother next time? well as a regular in the UKAC I am trying to get local interest up. Your email has just put a few down.

Yours Andy Morgan GD1MIP

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Contributor 2019

G0UWK wrote:
Andy,
When I did the video I kept it running to show a much stronger contest station who’s signal despite being stronger was also well within the limits of what I'd class as a clean signal.
I know where the RSGB are going with that statement, and to be fair they have come up with a valid point that is useful for checking your front end overload threshold.
In the case of ZRE I think this is not applicable as his signal was poor- period.
I doubt that you were experiencing front end overload some 150km away from a low power entrant, next year I will make a point of trying to be around for this contest and we will see what happens.

At the very least Dave must be aware his signal is under scrutiny and he will need to work on it to improve matters.
Personally I don’t like the last statement made, it reads as a cop out, how does the RSGB know that your overall score has not been affected? Any stations that were weak within 30khz of ZRE would have been very difficult to have an exchange with.

Thanks for the update
Ian

Ian, last year I sent a complaint and a link to the video clip. I accepted their complain on air 'excuse' and we followed it to the letter.

Remember we were operating as GT1IOM/P, My experience was...

At 0904 hrs our first contact was with GW8ZRE/p 158 Kms away. This station was a strong 5/9 (each way) signal but had intermittant audio. The audio would be fine for a few words then become very distorted. It sounded like the radio was AM'ing. Selecting AM mode on our RX at the appropriate time allowed us to clearly hear GW8ARE/p. I (GD1MIP) Reported the AM sounding / intermittent signal to GW8ZRE/p He responded by saying he was using 2.5w and would look at it. Please note he immediately called CQ at the end of our contact so he did little to 'look at it at that point'.

At 0907 hours we spoke to G1XIC/p 413 Kms away on 144.305 Mhz. We suffered severe breakthrough from an adjacent frequency. This meant we could only complete the contact between this interfering stations transmissions. We traced this interference to GW8ZRE/p operating on 144.327 Mhz. Quite a distance away. I called GW8ZRE/p to again advise him but I received no reply so we continued our operating. GW8ZRE/P's signal stayed the same all day with only slight improvements as they moved around the band, before going 'bad' again.

At 12.55 hours we again suffered from what appeared to be an incorrectly functioning system, at least 20 Khz either side of the centre frequency we traced this again to GW8ZRE/P and again it appeared to be AM'ing. I called as GT1IOM/P and got no reply. So I called using my own callsign (GD1MIP) GW8ZRE/P immediately responded and gave me a 59 contest response. I advised him this was not a contest call. I identified myself as being part of GT1IOM/P, I reminded him of the contact between us at 09:04 hours and advised him he still had signal problems. He thanked me and we went our separate ways. As a final note another station GD0AMD/P was maybe 4 miles from me and beaming at us for most of the day, we happily coexisted 5khz away from each other at times, so whilst my system is not a mega one it can cope with 3 watts from Across the sea.

This information was submitted with our contest entry.

We will never know what stations we missed, but there were definitely some we started and could not complete with due to the problem.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8