It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:39 am

Icom IC-905 cost 
Intermediate Member

Post Icom IC-905 cost
So the cost will be £3,549.95 plus £1499.99 for the 10ghz transverter from ML&S wow that hurts.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:43 pm
Profile Send private message

Icom IC-905 cost 
Advanced Member

Post Re: Icom IC-905 cost
You beat me to it, wow, not for me, be surprised if they sell many.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:58 pm

Icom IC-905 cost 
Contributor 2024

there will be plenty willing to try one.
and then sell it again at 95% of cost.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:21 pm

Icom IC-905 cost 
Contributor 2023

Not a chance. I hope both buyers enjoy it.

Now if they made a 705 mk2 with an optional separate 100W RF plug-in module or stick 2/70 in a 7300 mk2 i'd order both

Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:41 pm

Icom IC-905 cost 
Advanced Member

Probably the best time to buy one would be in 6-12 months, when bugs & new firmware have been sorted. No doubt there will be some who give it a try & lose interest because the novelty has worn off (as with many rigs) or the realisation that microwaves need a different mindset from what they are used to.

The IC-905 is interesting & I welcome its appearance. Although it is not for me, as it dosn't do anything that I can't already do with significantly more power.

No doubt the forums will be awash with people already established on some microwave bands who will not want it as it will duplicate something that they already have & will enjoy criticising it & the people who buy one. But it is a bold step by Icom to venture up the spectrum which I hope will encourage people to test the water. Particularly with the unfamiliar propagation modes such as rain scatter & super-refraction (by being at sea level getting a duct from the evaporating water)

If it encourages people onto these bands it is good thing & I could see it being good for SOTA type exploits or carrying to the beach for super-refraction or for people wanting to explore microwaves but not quite sure how to get on the bands. It might encourage portable experimentation, not necessarily all the bands at the same time, but with a dish the potential of any of the bands is increased enormously. Though using the little white stick omnis seems a bit of a dead end prospect.

Worth bearing in mind that good propagation often extends DOWN the spectrum & doesn't even reach VHF/UHF!

Consider also that 2m is no longer used as a "talk-back" frequency to set up microwave contacts as so often the microwaves can go further than 2m!!

G8ADP in 1964 then G4MBS in 1981 for CW on microwaves esp 10GHz tropo/rain scatter. Pottering on 6m - 6mm seeing what can be achieved from down in a valley where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:03 pm
Profile Send private message WWW