It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:25 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

2 vs 6 
Contributor 2018

Post Re: 2 vs 6
G4YVM wrote:
That's my concern...for many, self included, 4m means a new rig. Sadly, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I like 2m so maybe I'll just be happy with my beam and add a vertical for 6. Better than nowt

No it means a reasonably cheap transverter kit, a flood of them about on E-Bay and the likes, if today's hams have the savvy to stick them in a box and get them working of course! ;)
You don't have to go all "Kuhne electronics" on the band, to get pretty decent results! :)
And as the IF is "usually" 2 meters, or 10 meters, most have the half decent radio infrastructure to drive one.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:41 pm
Profile Send private message

2 vs 6 
Contributor 2019

G0BHD wrote:
G4YVM wrote:
That's my concern...for many, self included, 4m means a new rig. Sadly, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I like 2m so maybe I'll just be happy with my beam and add a vertical for 6. Better than nowt

No it means a reasonably cheap transverter kit, a flood of them about on E-Bay and the likes, if today's hams have the savvy to stick them in a box and get them working of course! ;)
You don't have to go all "Kuhne electronics" on the band, to get pretty decent results! :)
And as the IF is "usually" 2 meters, or 10 meters, most have the half decent radio infrastructure to drive one.

He's trying to encourage people to be active, if they need to be encouraged to be active, how much more to start projects like that???

The cheap transverters on ebay take quite a lot of work and know how, it is not just a case of putting it in a box and connecting the wires.

100% more chance of it happening if they already have a station operating on the chosen band.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:00 pm

2 vs 6 
Contributor 2018

Quote:
Many take down their 6M beams between September and May!

Im one of those.

I think theres more cw activity on 6M than 2M between May and August,mainly due to the sporadic E season.

After August,and taking into account where we are in the sunspot cycle,I take the 6M yagi down and replace it with a 70cms antenna,most of the good tropo openings seem happen on 2 and 70 between September and January.This is a generalisation of course but is what I have found over the years.
Of course 6M is open at times after August,with an Es peak around December but the level of Dx is not the same as it is between June and July and neither is the activity hence my yagi removal.

So in a nutshell 6M wins between May and August 2M wins between September and January

And as if to prove the point TR8CA is currently 559 on 50.150 ;)

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:01 pm

2 vs 6 
Contributor 2018

Well someone just suggested a simple rotary dipole whichb could put up close to my 2m yagi andni don't thinknit would add much load
I've also just looked at the dimensions for knocking up a slimjim on 6. Hang that from a fibreglass mast and see what i hear

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:06 pm

2 vs 6 
Contributor 2019

G4YVM wrote:
Well someone just suggested a simple rotary dipole whichb could put up close to my 2m yagi andni don't thinknit would add much load
I've also just looked at the dimensions for knocking up a slimjim on 6. Hang that from a fibreglass mast and see what i hear

I have an idea that people who use vertical on 6m will be more likely to be FM than CW or SSB.
If all your group use vertical, it would be OK, but if you hope that others may join in, they are more likely to be horizontal.

A 6m Moxon is light, small and effective.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:29 pm

2 vs 6 
Contributor 2018

Thanks Steve

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:32 pm

2 vs 6 
Contributor 2018

Sangoma wrote:
G0BHD wrote:
G4YVM wrote:

He's trying to encourage people to be active, if they need to be encouraged to be active, how much more to start projects like that???

The cheap transverters on ebay take quite a lot of work and know how, it is not just a case of putting it in a box and connecting the wires.

100% more chance of it happening if they already have a station operating on the chosen band.

And that "know how" was quite common place once, among my peers at least!
I would argue at the "lot of know how" branding!
It's how I originally got onto "six" in the first bloody place, the "driver" a converted DNT FM CB!, before it became a common addition to HF "plus" radios! ;)
It's not bloody radio rocket science, or shouldn't be, to radio amateurs!

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:32 pm

2 vs 6 
Contributor 2019

G0BHD wrote:
Sangoma wrote:
G0BHD wrote:
G4YVM wrote:

And that "know how" was quite common place once, among my peers at least!
I would argue at the "lot of know how" branding!
It's how I originally got onto "six" in the first bloody place, the "driver" a converted DNT FM CB!, before it became a common addition to HF "plus" radios! ;)
It's not bloody radio rocket science, or shouldn't be, to radio amateurs!

Yes, most of us have done similar and more, and I hope most amateurs are still capable of it. I think they are.

However, to buy the board, relays,attenuator, plugs and sockets, source a case, then drill the case, mount and connect everything is quite a time consuming operation, and certainly costs more than just the cheap transverter board.

Not hard, but requires time and effort.

For another topic, good idea, however I don't see it fitting in with the OP's idea, which he stated in the thread.

I think the idea hs has is a good one, and could end up with a good following. I would like to see it happen.
Adding the need to put together a transverter probably make it dead in the water.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:51 pm

2 vs 6 
Contributor 2018

And here was me thinking it's still a hobby of "self learning, training and experimentation", rather than just "what's available off the shelf with a credit card", silly me!
I stand chastised and corrected.
I will shut up.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:11 pm

2 vs 6 
Advanced Member

The sun is quiet at the moment but we should see an upturn in 6m CW activity once the auroras return as FT8 won't work with the doppler. I remember a big aurora a few years ago where there was hardly any space 144.030 - 144.120 because it was full of CW sigs. That was a big event, most people I worked were further south of me including some French stations around the Pyranees.

I'm one of those who takes my 6m yagi down Sept-May, my main interest on 6m these days is multi-hop Es DX and that isn't going to occur in winter. And we have no sunspots to support F2 propagation. It'll stay up through winter next solar max, if we get enough sunspots.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:14 pm