It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 6M, 4M, 2M ES everywhere! 
Advanced Member

Post Re: 6M, 4M, 2M ES everywhere!
F4VPC wrote:
I'm hoping that the 6M ft8 DX window is sorted out soon, the NA stations have generally adopted 323 as the QSY freq of choice for the time being

It was nice to see them all up there on Monday afternoon.

Poor timing but I've been away for the best part of 2 weeks hence not commenting, I've missed an awful lot of 6m and 2m DX. Thankfully my flight back into the UK got in on time Monday lunchtime so I was back home in time for the great 6m USA opening on Monday: I fired up FT8 and the screen was full of W5s. Worked 6 of them (best EM00), then some W7s came in, and then some W6s and an XE on the Baja peninsula. I didn't seem to have enough oomph to make it to to W6 and W7 (400W to a 6 ele) but some Gs were successful. It then faded and a bit later the usual W1/2/3 areas came in.

Then I was off travelling with work again, finally just got back and looking forward to a 4-day weekend: hopefully the condx will hold up.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm
Profile Send private message

Contributor 2018

Glad you managed to get some of the action Daz, I think the last NA worked from EU was around 05Z Tuesday morning !

Had a listen mid morning and just got two waves of decode of VU2NKS so just spotted him as qso b4.

Will be away next week so look out for West Coast again and a huge JA opening - be just my luck :cry:

Just come back from mowing and don't think I've missed much here by the looks of it, although the CT & EA guys are having a ball down there.

Saw some good talk on KST from JA stn's, clearly although they suggested 323 they are totally unaware how bad 313 is in EU. A few screenshots have been sent and they hopefully now understand just how bad it is over here and will qsy to 323 on request. Only had one stn on JT65 so far - maybe a mode that qsy's to history but hope not.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:53 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Advanced Member

F4VPC wrote:
Will be away next week so look out for West Coast again and a huge JA opening - be just my luck :cry:

Quite the opposite - me taking a 4-day weekend seems to have jinxed the band. Some you win, some you lose - always pot luck trying to predict Es, seems like I picked the wrong days to take off this year.

Spotty opening to the USA yesterday W4AS (EL95), PJ4V (FK52) and N5OSK (EM25) all copied very briefly but none in long enough to make a QSO. At least the sun is shining so I'll spend the time doing some work outside.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:12 am

Contributor 2018

Just managed to catch a little yesterday, few in FL & TX and PJ4V for a ATNO who appeared long enough to complete with.

Had to qrt for half an hour for family meal, when I got back it'd moved further up for the UK to get in.
Had cq's logged from a few in DM and a VE2 in FN07 which would have been new.

After getting a brief session of JA with nil qso the other week haven't seen any since.

Qrv again from Friday so hope you guys leave some for me :beg:

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am

Advanced Member

Cannot believe how little we've had from the East this year, this time last year I'd already had 2 x JA openings. This year nothing beyond EK7DX, not even the usual EX8s and UNs.

Another really short opening to the West again today, XE2JS in DL68 copied trying to work a TK. Bit of Es into Eu but nothing sustained.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:23 pm

So, 2M buzzing again this afternoon down to EA.
But the same damned squares again. :lol:

Did fleetingly hear a new one, but only for a second or two.
It's a pity I've such a high noise level in that direction. :cry:

Never mind, CN8LI was good for a New DXCC and #, on 2M. :thumbsup:
Just a pity I didn't make it with CN8KG, would have been another new #.
He was 59+, at times, using FM! :shock:

Cheers

Tony

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Contributor 2017

A nice opening down here,and I got a new square out of it EA4ACS in IM78 and on FM as well

CN8KG came back to my cq after I worked EA4ACS,I spotted him on the cluster after which the world and his wife appeared on 145.500 :D

This evening 6M has been open to the caribbean and South America..its been quite a day

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Advanced Member

I've managed to miss all the 2m Es this year so far :banghead:

As you say Paul, good 6m opening: FM5AN, PV8DX, HK4SAN, HI3T, HI8JSG, NP4BM, VP2EIH, PJ4V all in. Only PJ4V worked and not a new DXCC. XE2JS (DL68) copied very briefly earlier in the day, can't believe how bad it was last year to the West (worst year ever) and how good it is this year.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 am

Advanced Member

...and so it continues: HI8PLE, HI8JSG, HI8DL and FM5AN all just worked. Another day, another pipleine into the Caribbean. Signals really strong today peaking +10dB on FT8, HI8W beacon on 50.008 was just audible.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Contributor 2017

It was certainly a consistent opening this evening and the evening to be on for the Caribbean, some of the signal strengths were pretty impressive,it was a shame there was not more activity on ssb/cw,although I did work YV5EED and PJ4X on ssb.

Nothing new for me but I bet plenty got new ones out of that opening.

When I eventually turned in at 23:30 CO8LY, although on FT8, would have been easily workable on cw.

Whenever it opens to the Caribbean I find myself seeing the same old callsigns,it would be nice to see activity from some of the other Islands down there.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:15 am

Intermediate Member

Ah that was why there was low activity in the 70cm contest then. Only worked 7 stations, usually manage 12, although conditions were flat reasonable UK distances worked.

When the contest finished I just checked 6m & worked KP4. Although I felt more effort & skill was needed in getting the 7 contacts on 70cm through the QSB down in my valley.

G8ADP in 1964 then G4MBS in 1981 for CW on microwaves esp 10GHz tropo/rain scatter. QRT for 33 years. Moved to GW in 2016 pottering on 6/4/2/70 seeing what can be achieved from down in a valley where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 am

Contributor 2017

70cm is always a challenge.

This time of year I stick the 6 m yagi up on the tower so Im not really QRV on 432.

When I say "Not really QRV" its because although Ive got a 21ele up its very low and fed with H100, the difference between it and a pair of 20 eles at 60ft fed with LDF-450 is incredible so much so that every year I wonder why I bother to put the 20ele up !

I agree with what you say,last night 6M was like shooting fish in a barrel,something I dont think I ever recall saying about 432 :D

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 am

Intermediate Member

g4rra wrote:
70cm is always a challenge.

Yes that's why I find it more satisfying (for me)

Incidentally I did beam & call towards Devon last night on a number occasions but heard nothing.

Although I have a 5-el horizontal on 6m, the vertical 5/8 over 5/8 is vastly superior to it in the recent conditions. Although under normal conditions signals on the 5-el are 90 degrees broad & very often not in the expected direction what with living in a valley with no unobstructed take off.

Thursday's contest will be interesting if things persist.

G8ADP in 1964 then G4MBS in 1981 for CW on microwaves esp 10GHz tropo/rain scatter. QRT for 33 years. Moved to GW in 2016 pottering on 6/4/2/70 seeing what can be achieved from down in a valley where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:52 am

Advanced Member

Well, 6m was open to the Caribbean for over 9 hours yesterday in 3 sessions with a bit of a gap between them. At one stage PV8DX was +15dB on FT8 (although he still couldn't copy all the callers), I did check SSB/CW but only heard the HI8 beacon on 50.008.

It was a good evening for me with HH2MK and VP2ETE giving me two new DXCCs. As you say Paul the usual calls, I did work CO8LY again 'cos he seemed lonely and nice to see a few DX calls moving up to .323 to avoid congestion. All in all, quite a civilised event with the majority keeping to the same Tx period and spreading out: compared to the utter chaos of the JT65 JA openings last summer. I wasn't sure what the South Americans were doing, both PV8DX and YV6IA gave me R-xx but no 73 then moved onto the next station so I don't know whether we completed or they were just impatient and gave up. I thought we might be in with a chance with OA4TT, he was trying but I don't think he made any QSOs - I copied him last summer of JT65 but no QSO.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Contributor 2017

I'm glad you got a couple of new ones Darrell,OA4TT will be worked at some point from G this season,I didnt see him last night either,I dont need it as Ive worked him a few times on cw but when he appears on FT8 it is going to be interesting !

Yes ,there was some strange operating going on last night,I would like to say I worked VP2ETE but he seemed to skip a couple of sequences before giving me RR73 which was a bit odd,I never did see the report. :D

Its been a quiet one today which is good because it means I've been able to get out in the garden and do all those jobs I've not been doing for the last 2 weeks.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:45 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next