Ham Radio Deals
https://www.hamradiodeals.co.uk/forums/

anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
https://www.hamradiodeals.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=55872
Page 1 of 3

Author:  gaz1969uk [ Sun May 11, 2014 6:26 pm ]
Post subject:  anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

Hi folks..

I have just bought a jaybeam lw8 8 element 2m yagi but in the instruction it gives no spec

Anyone know the gain at all please and how well they perform?

Thanks Gary

Author:  GD1MIP [ Sun May 11, 2014 9:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

According to an old flyer in my library of useful things....

LW8/2m ...9.5dbd gain / beamwidth 42 degree horizontal & 46 degree vertical / 1kw power rating / front - back ratio 16

Author:  gaz1969uk [ Sun May 11, 2014 10:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

Andy

Thank you very much for that info, brilliant, not much on the web at all.

Probably not brilliant compared to today's standards but I hope it will serve me well in the vhf contest coming up ☺

Thanks again

Gary

Author:  GD1MIP [ Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

Anytime.

Author:  2E0DXI [ Mon May 12, 2014 3:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

In your library do you have info on a jaybeam 14 element parabeam or as it was advertised a quargi very little info I need to know boom length ect all info I have found is on german vhf dx station sites and theres no info just that there a very good aerial..

Author:  G8NYZ [ Mon May 12, 2014 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

2E0DXI wrote:
In your library do you have info on a jaybeam 14 element parabeam or as it was advertised a quargi very little info I need to know boom length ect all info I have found is on german vhf dx station sites and theres no info just that there a very good aerial..

From memory, 24' boom, 13.7 dBd. (should be near enough hopefully)

Author:  ei9ju [ Mon May 12, 2014 5:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

G8NYZ wrote:
2E0DXI wrote:
In your library do you have info on a jaybeam 14 element parabeam or as it was advertised a quargi very little info I need to know boom length ect all info I have found is on german vhf dx station sites and theres no info just that there a very good aerial..

From memory, 24' boom, 13.7 dBd. (should be near enough hopefully)


That was probably "Quagi".....a Quad/Yagi hybrid.

Author:  2E0DXI [ Mon May 12, 2014 5:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

ahh ty for info sounds like its a monster then

Gerry it was spelt quargi proberly why I got it for £5-50p :)

Author:  ei9ju [ Mon May 12, 2014 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

2E0DXI wrote:
ahh ty for info sounds like its a monster then

Gerry it was spelt quargi proberly why I got it for £5-50p :)


If you're looking for info on the internet in this design use Quagi as it'll throw up far more hits.

Author:  GD1MIP [ Mon May 12, 2014 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

2E0DXI wrote:
In your library do you have info on a jaybeam 14 element parabeam or as it was advertised a quargi very little info I need to know boom length ect all info I have found is on german vhf dx station sites and theres no info just that there a very good aerial..



Right from my info the para beam looks like a standard yagi except..... the reflector is capital 'H' shaped and the driven element is like a single loop.
The para beam was made in 10 & 14 elements namely the PBM10/2m & PBM14/2m.
My info says the quad yagi was only made in 4, 6 & 8 elements namely the Q4/2m, Q6/2m & Q8/2m.

Does that sound right?

The PBM14/2m para beam claims ...13.7dbd gain, horizontal beam width 29 degree, vertical beam width 38 deg, 1kw power, f/back ratio 18. Turn radius 3.05m, length 5.95m.

Hope that helps? Perhaps I should scan this 4 page booklet? It has no date on it and has the old 0604 phone code before the 01 code change of 1990, so quite old.

Author:  G0UWK [ Mon May 12, 2014 6:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

I don't think they were that long Nigel,
Slightly over inflated gain (NEC reckoned it was close to a 17 ele tonna) if memory serves me and very heavy.
According to the instructions it was 2.8wl, something like just over 18ft long.
My mum still uses bits off my old un to support plants in her garden, Can’t fault the build quality however.
Specs when run through NEC apparently are as follows,
2.8wl, 12.6dbd with one of the world’s poorest f/b of only 13.6db.
Tony has the instructions here, might have sent them to him at some stage years ago as I still have the stuff in my filing cabinet.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10383&p=35088&hilit=parabeam#p35088

Rgds
I

Author:  gw8asd [ Mon May 12, 2014 7:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

G0UWK wrote:
I don't think they were that long Nigel,
Slightly over inflated gain (NEC reckoned it was close to a 17 ele tonna) if memory serves me and very heavy.
According to the instructions it was 2.8wl, something like just over 18ft long.
My mum still uses bits off my old un to support plants in her garden, Can’t fault the build quality however.
Specs when run through NEC apparently are as follows,
2.8wl, 12.6dbd with one of the world’s poorest f/b of only 13.6db.
Tony has the instructions here, might have sent them to him at some stage years ago as I still have the stuff in my filing cabinet.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10383&p=35088&hilit=parabeam#p35088

Rgds
I

Built like the proverbial brick **** *****. :D
Called a Parabeam, not a quargi.

I used one for a while, bought it NOS.
Box had been sealed for 30 years, or so, complete with instructions.
I still have the originals here.
Beautifully engineered but very heavy but the F/B wasn't helpful here.

Cheers

Tony

Author:  ei9ju [ Mon May 12, 2014 7:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

gw8asd wrote:
G0UWK wrote:
I don't think they were that long Nigel,
Slightly over inflated gain (NEC reckoned it was close to a 17 ele tonna) if memory serves me and very heavy.
According to the instructions it was 2.8wl, something like just over 18ft long.
My mum still uses bits off my old un to support plants in her garden, Can’t fault the build quality however.
Specs when run through NEC apparently are as follows,
2.8wl, 12.6dbd with one of the world’s poorest f/b of only 13.6db.
Tony has the instructions here, might have sent them to him at some stage years ago as I still have the stuff in my filing cabinet.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10383&p=35088&hilit=parabeam#p35088

Rgds
I

Built like the proverbial brick **** *****. :D
Called a Parabeam, not a quargi.

I used one for a while, bought it NOS.
Box had been sealed for 30 years, or so, complete with instructions.
I still have the originals here.
Beautifully engineered but very heavy but the F/B wasn't helpful here.

Cheers

Tony



Would be ideal at this location as absolutely nothing comes through the back. :)

Author:  G0UWK [ Mon May 12, 2014 7:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

[quote="gw8asd[/quote]
Built like the proverbial brick **** *****. :D
Called a Parabeam, not a quargi.

Tony[/quote]

Also known as a "rotory dipole" due to what comes in off the back :shock:
I was constantly getting comments when calling "cq south" from people to the north :cry:

Author:  gw8asd [ Mon May 12, 2014 7:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam

G0UWK wrote:
[quote="gw8asd

Built like the proverbial brick **** *****. :D
Called a Parabeam, not a quargi.

Tony[/quote]

Also known as a "rotory dipole" due to what comes in off the back :shock:
I was constantly getting comments when calling "cq south" from people to the north :cry:[/quote]
It wasn't good, but I don't remember it being quite that bad. :lol:

Cheers

Tony

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/