It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

RG214 Coax 
Advanced Member

Post RG214 Coax
We are doing an Upgrade of the DADARS D Star Repeater and need 25 Metres of RG214 and wondered if anyone knew of anywhere that has the most competetive rate...do you have any experience with this on a Repeater?

Regards

Gary

2E0 OGZ - Durham City
North East England

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 pm
Profile Send private message

RG214 Coax 
Advanced Member

Post Re: RG214 Coax
Presuming this is RG214U. the double screened, silver plated stuff. I was doing some research on coax recently and
looked at this stuff. FARNELL no longer stock it but their price was £236 for 25 metres, inclusive of VAT.
Westlake has some for £100.00 inclusive of VAT for 25 metres. He usually gives a discount for 100 metres or more.
I ended up with Westflex 103 (the devils coax as some call it), got it from him at Newark and he gave me
ten percent off. I have no experience of using it on a repeater, sorry.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:14 am

RG214 Coax 
Advanced Member

G0ASI wrote:
I ended up with Westflex 103 (the devils coax as some call it)

May I ask why 103 is called the devil's coax? I need to upgrade some of my runs.

Steve.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:29 am

RG214 Coax 
Advanced Member

2E0LFO wrote:
G0ASI wrote:

May I ask why 103 is called the devil's coax? I need to upgrade some of my runs.

Steve.

The multi millionaires like to make out the stuff is inferior to their Heliax 7/8th hardline but it is a great product that will sadly accept the ingress of moisture readily if the coax plugs aren't weather proof... it has a copper foil so doesn't take kindly to tight radius turns either although I've used it to get past the rotator cage directly to the antenna feed point with no problems.

For the price this is a good coax, I've got quite a bit. :this:

Cheers, Dave.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:40 am

RG214 Coax 

2E0LFO wrote:
G0ASI wrote:

Steve.

Because it's a non standard size, brittle outer sheath, solid centre conductor and semi air spaced dielectric.

All negatives, in my book.

If it's for a fixed antenna some, suitably tested, second hand hardline would seem the obvious, and most economical, answer.

Foam filled and fit and forget.
Just make sure all the connectors are N types.

Quote:
The multi millionaires like to make out the stuff is inferior to their Heliax 7/8th hardline

You don't need to "make out" it's inferior to Heliax 7/8th hardline as it inferior - by a considerable margin.
Worth the extra, even for a non millionaire. :lol:

Cheers

Tony

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:57 am

RG214 Coax 
Advanced Member

People moan about Belden 9913 being semi air spaced and wicking up moisture too... leaving the end of an hosepipe open allows pretty much the same situation but sealing the end of the hose and this type of coax does a pretty good job of keeping wet out.

I look at the loss of Westflex and it's price, if I'm unable to terminate it in a decent plug then that's more a reflection of the user than the spec. of the cable, one major advantage with Westflex is that it keeps somebody in this country in gainful employment for a change.

Dave.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58 pm

RG214 Coax 
Contributor 2019

For a fixed tower and fixed antenna IMO the 103 would be the ideal candidate as my only concerns about it's make-up relates to withstanding the rigours of a telescopic tower and rotator use, not applicable here.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:48 pm

RG214 Coax 

G7VQE wrote:
People moan about Belden 9913 being semi air spaced and wicking up moisture too... leaving the end of an hosepipe open allows pretty much the same situation but sealing the end of the hose and this type of coax does a pretty good job of keeping wet out.

I look at the loss of Westflex and it's price, if I'm unable to terminate it in a decent plug then that's more a reflection of the user than the spec. of the cable, one major advantage with Westflex is that it keeps somebody in this country in gainful employment for a change.

Dave.

The problem isn't with the ends!

Being semi air spaced, and because of its construction, there are a few problems.
The type of connector you use. N types, and similar are usually OK, as the are a sealed construction and, when sealed externally they isolate the feeder run from the antenna, or equipment.
That's, generally, not the case with PL259/SO239 combinations.
Any damage to the outer sheath results in water migration along the open braiding, which causes corrosion.
Any damage, even a pin prick, through to the dielectric, and you will get water ingress to the inner air spaces.
This will migrate along the cable, changing its characteristics and damaging the whole length.
Changes in temperature cause the air in the space to expand, and contract, moving the moisture along and also resulting in condensation.

I have used air spaced feeder, in the past, but I've always pressurised it.

You get none of these, potential, problems with hardline.

That's why many don't like this cable.
Obviously, for a repeater, with fixed antennas, some points are less critical but the question didn't relate to repeaters.

I still think, if only a short run is required, second hand hardline would be a better, log term, economic proposition.

I'm not sure what the "keeps somebody in this country in gainful employment" relates to. :scratch:

Cheers

Tony

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:52 pm

RG214 Coax 
Advanced Member

"I'm not sure what the "keeps somebody in this country in gainful employment" relates to. :scratch:"

I was probably under the misapprehension that Westflex was made in this country.

You're right the Westflex question wasn't regarding being used for a repeater but was asking why 103 gets a bad rap, my ten pence worth was and still is that for general use it's a very good performer and readily available unlike secondhand hardline which if you want to bring up the subject of odd size terminations for the 103 you might have also added applies equally to hardline including words like rather more expensive.

Regards, Dave.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:43 am

RG214 Coax 
Advanced Member

My plan for the "devils coax" (W103). Is to use it in a fixed position and use 231 for the rotator loops. I plan to use a bracket with a short length of pole to fix both the 103 and 231 ends so there is no movement of the 103. Best quality N types everywhere, self amalgamating tape first then a covering of Denso tape. Damage to the outer sheath aside, if water gets through that lot then I must have been a
really bad bugger somewhere along the line. I have to agree with Tony that hardline would be better, I cannot find second user runs
long enough for one thing and getting it new is out of the question due to cost. W103 is low loss and cheap ish by comparison. For
my budget its a no brainer. Just have to keep the fingers crossed it survives.
Ken

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:48 pm

RG214 Coax 
Advanced Member

I used my 103 on my modest 3 section crank up and tiltover tower for three separate 35 metre one piece runs from the shack to the Moxon antenna.

I allowed a balloon of slack to get past the rotator cage and regularly raised and lowered the mast due to blustery south western weather, with no failures during a year at the Yeovil QTH or during the previous three years use at Sherborne I can vouch for it's fitness for purpose.

I prefer to avoid joins if possible not because of any added losses but simply to reduce the potential for the problems Tony highlighted earlier.

Cheers, Dave.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:30 pm