It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:51 pm

Chameleon Antennas 
Advanced Member

Post Chameleon Antennas
Has anyone out there any experience with the Chameleon range of various antennes. Chameleon, Vertical, Inveted V, Longwire Tactical Delta Loop or would a 9:1 and 66 foot of wire do the same instead of using their Hybrid or Mini Unun. I realise their Mirco Mini. Hybrid is a 5:1 UnUn. I think the aim of this company is for those do POTA and who travel light and want a quick set up to get on the air.
Their prices are at the Top End .
Quality and price do go hand in hand.
They don't ship direct to anyone this side of the pond, we have to go through the various UK Emporiums.
Your experiences please
Thank you
Keith
M0KLL.

M0KLL Last CoG RAE Exam December 2003

Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:30 pm
Profile Send private message

Chameleon Antennas 
Contributor 2024

Post Re: Chameleon Antennas
Hiya Keith.

I have three of their antennas, the CHA MPAS, a CHA PRV, and a CHA F-Loop. Every one of them is VERY well engineered, are quick to deploy, and work like a charm.

My only gripe would be about the MPAS vertical which seems to be primarily intended for use on the higher bands (I prefer 80m, 40m). You can add some wire (to form an inverted-L), but I found it a bit of a chore to set up as you require an extra support point to get the best out of that configuration.

Also for the MPAS there is an option capacity hat (I think it's known as a Tac-Hat? It actually fits half way up the antenna, not on the top), which to be honest is a bit of a waste of the extra money involved. The only band it improved was 6m (this was 'looking' at the SWR WITHOUT using any tuner). Even with an external tuner the capacity hat still seemed to have little effect, it was more effective to add some wire to the tip (inverted-L fashion).

My favourite of the three is the F-Loop since it covers such a wide range of frequencies, is compact/stealthy, and does not need any external tuner.

Hope that makes sense!

73, Mark...

Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:24 pm

Chameleon Antennas 
Advanced Member

Post Re: Chameleon Antennas
Thank you Mark I too own the MPAS 17 foot SS Tele Whip the small unun, stake, counterpoise and the coax with choke on the end . Owned this since March 2023. I have worked 80m/40m from a Stubble field in Yorkshire and at home here I removed the Tele whip section and I am using this antenna as an Inverted V peak at 20feet. The Cha Stake I am using a 6foot length of 10mm copper pipe brayed 3 foot into the soil with the cha stake inserted into the copper pipe and the . What I need to know would the likes of the CHA TDL antenna improve my situation . The F-Loop I don't think I have the patience / time to tune it up ...and the Low power limit is fine for CW. I don't do CW.
Thanks again
Keith

M0KLL Last CoG RAE Exam December 2003

Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 pm