It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:03 pm

Help- Digging hole for mast support ? 
Contributor 2023

Post Help- Digging hole for mast support ?
Spent the last few hours digging a hole in the garden to accommodate my new Cantenna BTM50 style tilt mast support. Managed to get down to about 24 inches with the aid of an manual fence post auger, first foot or so was relatively easy with loose soil but as per usual clay, stones etc soon appear and makes things so much harder :banghead:

Have another 12 inches to dig down and the auger is no longer worth using due to the clay etc. Any advice on best way to dig this last bit before I just call it a day and fill it back in :clapping: ?!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283870897476

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs
Innovantennas 6 ele LFA for 2 mtrs

DX World HF 400w Linear Amplifier

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:39 pm
Profile Send private message

Advanced Member

Post Re: Help- Digging hole for mast support ?
Can you hire a motorised auger?

Otherwise a 6' crow bar and hole shovel (two hinged together)

It is worth making it bigger than suggested, and that makes it easier to dig

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:44 pm

Advanced Member

What have you hit, granite?
Even if your auger takes an inch at a time you will get there soon enough

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:48 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Contributor 2023

Okay cheers guys, the auger eventually turns with a lot of effort but very little seems soil / clay to move. Will keep at it !
Motorised auger...yep would do the job in minutes but guessing the hire of such a tool would be expensive .

Thanks for the tip also re. the 6” crow bar...that was an idea I thought about and will try tomorrow after a good nights sleep...honestly knackered with it !

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs

Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:29 pm

Advanced Member

gm1zvj wrote:
Okay cheers guys, the auger eventually turns with a lot of effort but very little seems soil / clay to move. Will keep at it !
Motorised auger...yep would do the job in minutes but guessing the hire of such a tool would be expensive .

Thanks for the tip also re. the 6” crow bar...that was an idea I thought about and will try tomorrow after a good nights sleep...honestly knackered with it !

If you do have rock, an auger won't touch it.
I had a post auger on the back of my tractor, with a hydraulic top link, and hit "iron rock" (don't know what it is, it is not granite), and pusshing it down would start to lift the back of the tractor.

Ended up digging large shallow holes and cementing the posts in where I could not make holes. (fortunately most of the poles were steel "I" section, only the straining poles were timber)

Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Contributor 2023

Okay thanks as I say will keep at it worth it in the end !

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs

Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:50 pm

Contributor 2023

John, the ground here sounds similar to what you have through there in Fife. About 2 feet of soil,and sand followed by heavy clay down to the water table.

The only tools I use to dig narrow 4' holes are a pinch bar* and a long handled straight shovel. The first couple of feet are easy, but when you get to the clay what you need to do is break it up best you can with the pinch, and then shove the shovel down and wiggle it about to get as much clay as possible to stick to it (it sticks like sh*t to a blanket). Then lift it straight up out the hole and scrape the clay off. It's slow and laborious, but it works. It's been very dry recently so if the clay is not sticking then pour a SMALL amount of water into the hole to help the process. I can easily dig a 4 foot hole not much wider than the blade of the shovel using this method.

*Pinch or pinch bar - a long straight heavy steel round bar, used by fencers to make a hole for stabs and fence posts. Name might vary from area to area, but that's what they're called here.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:30 am

Advanced Member

MM0TFU wrote:

*Pinch or pinch bar - a long straight heavy steel round bar, used by fencers to make a hole for stabs and fence posts. Name might vary from area to area, but that's what they're called here.

Similar to what I call a crow bar (or gwala), crow bar is hexagonal, pointed on one end and flat on the other, very strong steel.

Serves exactly the same purpose here :)

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 am

Contributor 2023

Sangoma wrote:
MM0TFU wrote:

Similar to what I call a crow bar (or gwala), crow bar is hexagonal, pointed on one end and flat on the other, very strong steel.

Yes the long heavy hardened steel bar, flat one end, pointed the other, often hexagonal, also known here occasionally as a "Crow Bar", (but that tends to be used for the shorter twin flat end levering items mainly), it's also known by some builders as a "Pike", or "Ground Pike".

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:33 am

Advanced Member

G0BHD wrote:
Sangoma wrote:
MM0TFU wrote:

Yes the long heavy hardened steel bar, flat one end, pointed the other, often hexagonal, also known here occasionally as a "Crow Bar", (but that tends to be used for the shorter twin flat end levering items mainly), it's also known by some builders as a "Pike", or "Ground Pike".

Is that the same as a pry bar or jemmy?

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:43 am

Contributor 2023

Yes also used for the shorter levering ones, the terms do get used and often misused by many folks, and interchanged, who all seem to have their own pet words for them.
I always call the big buggers Ground Pikes, or Pikes, most builders seem to know what you are talking about.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 am

Contributor 2023

MM0TFU wrote:
John, the ground here sounds similar to what you have through there in Fife. About 2 feet of soil,and sand followed by heavy clay down to the water table.

The only tools I use to dig narrow 4' holes are a pinch bar* and a long handled straight shovel. The first couple of feet are easy, but when you get to the clay what you need to do is break it up best you can with the pinch, and then shove the shovel down and wiggle it about to get as much clay as possible to stick to it (it sticks like sh*t to a blanket). Then lift it straight up out the hole and scrape the clay off. It's slow and laborious, but it works. It's been very dry recently so if the clay is not sticking then pour a SMALL amount of water into the hole to help the process. I can easily dig a 4 foot hole not much wider than the blade of the shovel using this method.

Perfect yep exactly that couple of feet of easy to deal with soil and then clay !
Thanks for the advice will see how I get on.

Was going to buy one of these seem to get decent reviews for the very job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson- ... B0044TM5XS

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs

Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:35 am

Advanced Member

gm1zvj wrote:
MM0TFU wrote:

Perfect yep exactly that couple of feet of easy to deal with soil and then clay !

The tool I referred to earlier looks like two of them hinged together, so you pull the handles apart and lift the soil out.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:37 am

Contributor 2023

Noticed that particular tool on eBay. Don’t want to spend too much as it’s the type of thing that would probably lay in the garage for years after its initial use !
Showdown :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INuGAMD2KJs

Strangely enough the one that I thought would do the job the easiest ie. the motorised auger seemed the hardest to control !

Kenwood TS711e

G3TXQ Hexbeam 20-6mtrs
Moxon for 6 mtrs

Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:07 pm

Contributor 2023

gm1zvj wrote:

The shovel I use is a bit longer than that...more like this one -

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/draper- ... lsrc=aw.ds

except it was made by Qualcast. I don't see the actual shovel I have listed any more, but I've had it for years and it does spend most of it's life in the shed, however when it comes to digging narrow holes it is invaluable.

The post hole shovels that Steve (Sangoma) mentioned are great in light soil, and great when it doesn't matter what width the hole is, but they are useless in heavy clay and because you have to open the handles wide to operate them, it becomes impossible to dig a deep narrow hole. You can buy a version of them which work in reverse, but they are still useless in clay and they are much more expensive.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:02 pm