It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:21 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Help wanted regarding antanna switch 
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 7:54 pm
Posts: 413
Location: laindon essex
Feedback: 10 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Help wanted regarding antanna switch
Hi all, im after a bit of help, my very small brain has gone to sleep,
Im after an antanna switch to use on vhf/uhf,
I want to use one antanna with 2 radios, but want the type of switch that i can transmit from radio 1 and it protects the 2nd radio or tx radio2 and radio one is protected , i cannot remember what these types of switch is called, all i know there not cheep lol, if someone could jog my memory, thanks in advance

_________________
KENWOOD MAN


Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:49 pm
Profile Send private message

 Help wanted regarding antanna switch 
Contributor 2018

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 2576
Location: Spalding Lincolnshire IO92WT
Feedback: 0 (0%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Help wanted regarding antanna switch
duplexer or diplexer ?? I dunno..

_________________
Neill
Its not the class of licence the amateur holds thats important but the class of bias the prat applies to his amplifier


Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:09 pm
Profile Send private message

 Help wanted regarding antanna switch 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:09 pm
Posts: 10307
Location: West Midlands
Feedback: 99 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Help wanted regarding antanna switch
An ordinary antenna switch has sufficient isolation to simply switch the antenna between two radios, if you mean protecting the radios from each other.

But it does mean you have no protection to avoid possible damage if you transmitted on the radio that does not have an antenna attached.

A while ago, I built this http://g.zs5wo.net/construction-and-pro ... o-antennas and have been using it on 2m, ther relays are OK (not excellent) on 2m, I doubt if they would be much good on 70cm.

You could do it with two two way coaxial relays, where the normally closed contact of both relays has a dummy load, and the normally open side of both relays goes to the antenna, and the common terminals of each relay go to each rig, then it would just be a case of supplying 12V to either relay to connect that rig to the antenna.

I have used that idea on HF for many years, 6 rigs and four antennas, so any rig can be connected to any of the antennas, and all the other rigs have a 150W dummy load when not selected.

_________________
===================
Gee Three Eee Jay Ess - RSGB, SARL, G-QRP, EPC
===================


Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:15 am
Profile Send private message

 Help wanted regarding antanna switch 
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 7:54 pm
Posts: 413
Location: laindon essex
Feedback: 10 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Help wanted regarding antanna switch
Thanks for the replys, i think i might have found what im looking for, a Shakespeare AS2 , just got to find somewhere selling one, thanks again for the input

_________________
KENWOOD MAN


Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:59 pm
Profile Send private message

 Help wanted regarding antanna switch 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:09 pm
Posts: 10307
Location: West Midlands
Feedback: 99 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Help wanted regarding antanna switch
tigger wrote:
Thanks for the replys, i think i might have found what im looking for, a Shakespeare AS2 , just got to find somewhere selling one, thanks again for the input


Limited to 30W.

But useful being automatic and being able to receive on both at the same time if not transmitting.

Bit different to what I thought you wanted :D

_________________
===================
Gee Three Eee Jay Ess - RSGB, SARL, G-QRP, EPC
===================


Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:47 pm
Profile Send private message

 Help wanted regarding antanna switch 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 14742
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Help wanted regarding antanna switch
Sangoma wrote:
tigger wrote:
Thanks for the replys, i think i might have found what im looking for, a Shakespeare AS2 , just got to find somewhere selling one, thanks again for the input


Limited to 30W.

But useful being automatic and being able to receive on both at the same time if not transmitting.

Bit different to what I thought you wanted :D

I don't think you can RX on both, at the same time.
It says it stays locked on the last TX connection until the alternative is keyed.
I wonder what the response time is, and what happens if both go on TX at the same time.

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:35 pm
Profile Send private message

 Help wanted regarding antanna switch 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:09 pm
Posts: 10307
Location: West Midlands
Feedback: 99 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Help wanted regarding antanna switch
gw8asd wrote:
Sangoma wrote:
tigger wrote:
Thanks for the replys, i think i might have found what im looking for, a Shakespeare AS2 , just got to find somewhere selling one, thanks again for the input


Limited to 30W.

But useful being automatic and being able to receive on both at the same time if not transmitting.

Bit different to what I thought you wanted :D

I don't think you can RX on both, at the same time.
It says it stays locked on the last TX connection until the alternative is keyed.
I wonder what the response time is, and what happens if both go on TX at the same time.

Cheers

Tony


Then don't see what the money is for!

A simple inexpensive manual switch would serve the same purpose.

A couple of coaxial relays and a simple circuit working from the PTT out on the rigs would make it automatic.

You point on the response time is very relevant on modern rigs, as it would only need a millisecond of mistiming to fry the front end of a rig. If the RF is there to make the switch, it is probably there long enough to cause damage.

Not a route I would go down :)

_________________
===================
Gee Three Eee Jay Ess - RSGB, SARL, G-QRP, EPC
===================


Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:29 pm
Profile Send private message

 Help wanted regarding antanna switch 
Contributor 2019
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 1296
Location: Sheffield io93gi
Feedback: 82 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Help wanted regarding antanna switch
What about a true dual band radio, that would let you receive either vhf/vhf vhf/uhf uhf/uhf or with priority watch 2 vhf and 2 uhf at the same time sort of.

_________________
https://www.ukantennas.co.uk/


Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:12 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.