It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 13790
Location: Shropshire UK IO82TN
Feedback: 5 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
Quote:
New 146-147MHz NoV

Dear Colleague

According to our records, you hold an NoV authorising your temporary use of the spectrum from 146-147 MHz.

This NoV expires on 31 October 2015.

I am pleased to be able to report that Ofcom has agreed to grant holders of Full amateur radio licences temporary access to this part of the spectrum for a further 12 months.

This continued use will be authorised by a new NoV that is now available from the RSGB website and you are invited to apply for your new NoV at your convenience.

Best Wishes

Graham Coomber
General Manager
Radio Society of Great Britain

Not sure who has taken advantage of this for the last 12 months, or perhaps never bothered, but the scheme is being extended for another 12 months after the current NoV's run out!
Applications here for re-application, or folks who simply wish to take advantage of the extended spectrum for the first time.
The new NoV runs until October 31st 2016.

http://rsgb.org/main/operating/licensin ... 47mhz-nov/

_________________
Dave G0BHD.


Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:39 am
Profile Send private message

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 13748
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
G0BHD wrote:
Quote:
New 146-147MHz NoV

Dear Colleague

According to our records, you hold an NoV authorising your temporary use of the spectrum from 146-147 MHz.

This NoV expires on 31 October 2015.

I am pleased to be able to report that Ofcom has agreed to grant holders of Full amateur radio licences temporary access to this part of the spectrum for a further 12 months.

This continued use will be authorised by a new NoV that is now available from the RSGB website and you are invited to apply for your new NoV at your convenience.

Best Wishes

Graham Coomber
General Manager
Radio Society of Great Britain

Not sure who has taken advantage of this for the last 12 months, or perhaps never bothered, but the scheme is being extended for another 12 months after the current NoV's run out!
Applications here for re-application, or folks who simply wish to take advantage of the extended spectrum for the first time.
The new NoV runs until October 31st 2016.

http://rsgb.org/main/operating/licensin ... 47mhz-nov/

There's been quite a lot of narrow band DTV experiments.
I believe it's the subject of one of the talks at the convention.

Digital audio, and I believe, data transfer as well.

Most of the experimenters seem to be down South!
Perhaps, after the lecture, that will change but it's all a matter of available time I suppose.

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:25 am
Profile Send private message

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 1820
Location: Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin. IO74ti
Feedback: 31 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
And some of us want it but can't have it.

_________________
Andy - GD1MIP
Using decidedly average equipment from Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin or IO74ti to you and I.


Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:28 pm
Profile Send private message

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 13748
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
GD1MIP wrote:
And some of us want it but can't have it.

I wonder what Ireland are using the band for?

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:09 am
Profile Send private message

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 1820
Location: Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin. IO74ti
Feedback: 31 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
My information is MOD use, but then I'm often wrong.

_________________
Andy - GD1MIP
Using decidedly average equipment from Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin or IO74ti to you and I.


Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:25 am
Profile Send private message

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 13748
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
GD1MIP wrote:
My information is MOD use, but then I'm often wrong.

That's what I thought.
The thing with some of today's modes is that even if you monitored the band, it's quite likely you'd be no closer to knowing.

Actually, that brings up an interesting point.
Listening, on 146 to 147, before the NoV, was obviously illegal so I assume that in areas where the NoV is not available it's still illegal.
So you can't listen for NoV stations?
A question for Murray, I think. :)

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:38 am
Profile Send private message

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 1820
Location: Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin. IO74ti
Feedback: 31 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
Good one. Thanks (assuming you're asking - meep if I'm asking)

_________________
Andy - GD1MIP
Using decidedly average equipment from Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin or IO74ti to you and I.


Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:54 am
Profile Send private message

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:30 pm
Posts: 828
Location: Manchester
Feedback: 12 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
I'm sure I remember someone saying there were emergency service/home office repeaters that used some frequencies on there, pre the tetra era.
I would quite like to use the extended frequencies but am not really interested in digital. I don't understand why anyone would give a crap what mode we do on there.
Smells of elitist interference.

_________________
G4WLI (G8IKW) Peter
Education officer, West Manchester radio Club http://www.wmrc.co.uk/


Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:12 am
Profile Send private message WWW

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 13790
Location: Shropshire UK IO82TN
Feedback: 5 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
The concept of aquiring it under NoV, was for experimentation on various new digital modes and methods, or as they put it at the time, they didn't just want it to be "more of the same" and a simple extension to the already 2 MHz wide allmodes bandplan.
I think if it had been asked for just as a simple extension of the current 2 metre band, with no specific purpose, it probably would never have materialised.

_________________
Dave G0BHD.


Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:19 am
Profile Send private message

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Intermediate Member

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 pm
Posts: 61
Location: North Derbyshire
Feedback: 1 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
G4WLI wrote:
I'm sure I remember someone saying there were emergency service/home office repeaters that used some frequencies on there, pre the tetra era.
I would quite like to use the extended frequencies but am not really interested in digital. I don't understand why anyone would give a crap what mode we do on there.
Smells of elitist interference.

Have you applied for the NOV ?

_________________
Steve G6YRK :wave:


Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:56 am
Profile Send private message

 Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs. 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 13748
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ofcom extends 146/147 MHz NoVs.
G4WLI wrote:
I'm sure I remember someone saying there were emergency service/home office repeaters that used some frequencies on there, pre the tetra era.
I would quite like to use the extended frequencies but am not really interested in digital. I don't understand why anyone would give a crap what mode we do on there.
Smells of elitist interference.

There used to be Home Office links, and other emergency services.
Some still exist, hence the extra conditions in Scotland.
Other countries are still using the frequencies, for various purposes, hence the restrictions in certain parts of the country.

The allowed usage was Ofcoms condition.
Part of their attempts at promoting experimentation and development.
Their attitude seems to be that one experiment is worth more than any amount of chit chat.
It would appear that their band monitoring isn't necessarily concerned with usage so much as what it's being used for.

Why would you want to use the extra bandwidth, if you're not interested in experiments?
There's plenty of room on the existing band.

I fail to see what can be regarded as elitist, anyone with a full licence can apply for an NoV.

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:56 pm
Profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.