It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:01 am

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Advanced Member

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:19 am
Posts: 140
Location: Stafford
Feedback: 10 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
Hi folks..

I have just bought a jaybeam lw8 8 element 2m yagi but in the instruction it gives no spec

Anyone know the gain at all please and how well they perform?

Thanks Gary


Sun May 11, 2014 6:26 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 1890
Location: Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin. IO74ti
Feedback: 33 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
According to an old flyer in my library of useful things....

LW8/2m ...9.5dbd gain / beamwidth 42 degree horizontal & 46 degree vertical / 1kw power rating / front - back ratio 16

_________________
Andy - GD1MIP
Using decidedly average equipment from Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin or IO74ti to you and I.


Sun May 11, 2014 9:50 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Advanced Member

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:19 am
Posts: 140
Location: Stafford
Feedback: 10 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
Andy

Thank you very much for that info, brilliant, not much on the web at all.

Probably not brilliant compared to today's standards but I hope it will serve me well in the vhf contest coming up ☺

Thanks again

Gary


Sun May 11, 2014 10:17 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 1890
Location: Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin. IO74ti
Feedback: 33 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
Anytime.

_________________
Andy - GD1MIP
Using decidedly average equipment from Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin or IO74ti to you and I.


Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 am
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:05 pm
Posts: 779
Location: wallingford. oxfordshire uk
Feedback: 18 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
In your library do you have info on a jaybeam 14 element parabeam or as it was advertised a quargi very little info I need to know boom length ect all info I have found is on german vhf dx station sites and theres no info just that there a very good aerial..


Mon May 12, 2014 3:19 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Online
Advanced Member

Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:54 pm
Posts: 286
Location: North Staffs. IO83VC
Feedback: 1 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
2E0DXI wrote:
In your library do you have info on a jaybeam 14 element parabeam or as it was advertised a quargi very little info I need to know boom length ect all info I have found is on german vhf dx station sites and theres no info just that there a very good aerial..

From memory, 24' boom, 13.7 dBd. (should be near enough hopefully)


Mon May 12, 2014 4:54 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Posts: 13789
Location: io65ga, Donegal
Feedback: 8 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
G8NYZ wrote:
2E0DXI wrote:
In your library do you have info on a jaybeam 14 element parabeam or as it was advertised a quargi very little info I need to know boom length ect all info I have found is on german vhf dx station sites and theres no info just that there a very good aerial..

From memory, 24' boom, 13.7 dBd. (should be near enough hopefully)


That was probably "Quagi".....a Quad/Yagi hybrid.

_________________
Even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.


Mon May 12, 2014 5:13 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:05 pm
Posts: 779
Location: wallingford. oxfordshire uk
Feedback: 18 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
ahh ty for info sounds like its a monster then

Gerry it was spelt quargi proberly why I got it for £5-50p :)


Mon May 12, 2014 5:21 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Posts: 13789
Location: io65ga, Donegal
Feedback: 8 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
2E0DXI wrote:
ahh ty for info sounds like its a monster then

Gerry it was spelt quargi proberly why I got it for £5-50p :)


If you're looking for info on the internet in this design use Quagi as it'll throw up far more hits.

_________________
Even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.


Mon May 12, 2014 5:25 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 1890
Location: Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin. IO74ti
Feedback: 33 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
2E0DXI wrote:
In your library do you have info on a jaybeam 14 element parabeam or as it was advertised a quargi very little info I need to know boom length ect all info I have found is on german vhf dx station sites and theres no info just that there a very good aerial..



Right from my info the para beam looks like a standard yagi except..... the reflector is capital 'H' shaped and the driven element is like a single loop.
The para beam was made in 10 & 14 elements namely the PBM10/2m & PBM14/2m.
My info says the quad yagi was only made in 4, 6 & 8 elements namely the Q4/2m, Q6/2m & Q8/2m.

Does that sound right?

The PBM14/2m para beam claims ...13.7dbd gain, horizontal beam width 29 degree, vertical beam width 38 deg, 1kw power, f/back ratio 18. Turn radius 3.05m, length 5.95m.

Hope that helps? Perhaps I should scan this 4 page booklet? It has no date on it and has the old 0604 phone code before the 01 code change of 1990, so quite old.

_________________
Andy - GD1MIP
Using decidedly average equipment from Mwyljyn Moddey, Ellan Vannin or IO74ti to you and I.


Mon May 12, 2014 5:51 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 2432
Location: Kidsgrove, Stoke-on-Trent IO83VC
Feedback: 9 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
I don't think they were that long Nigel,
Slightly over inflated gain (NEC reckoned it was close to a 17 ele tonna) if memory serves me and very heavy.
According to the instructions it was 2.8wl, something like just over 18ft long.
My mum still uses bits off my old un to support plants in her garden, Can’t fault the build quality however.
Specs when run through NEC apparently are as follows,
2.8wl, 12.6dbd with one of the world’s poorest f/b of only 13.6db.
Tony has the instructions here, might have sent them to him at some stage years ago as I still have the stuff in my filing cabinet.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10383&p=35088&hilit=parabeam#p35088

Rgds
I

_________________
Building your own equipment is one of amateur radio's most satisfying elements.


Mon May 12, 2014 6:08 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 14139
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
G0UWK wrote:
I don't think they were that long Nigel,
Slightly over inflated gain (NEC reckoned it was close to a 17 ele tonna) if memory serves me and very heavy.
According to the instructions it was 2.8wl, something like just over 18ft long.
My mum still uses bits off my old un to support plants in her garden, Can’t fault the build quality however.
Specs when run through NEC apparently are as follows,
2.8wl, 12.6dbd with one of the world’s poorest f/b of only 13.6db.
Tony has the instructions here, might have sent them to him at some stage years ago as I still have the stuff in my filing cabinet.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10383&p=35088&hilit=parabeam#p35088

Rgds
I

Built like the proverbial brick **** *****. :D
Called a Parabeam, not a quargi.

I used one for a while, bought it NOS.
Box had been sealed for 30 years, or so, complete with instructions.
I still have the originals here.
Beautifully engineered but very heavy but the F/B wasn't helpful here.

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Mon May 12, 2014 7:01 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Contributor 2017
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Posts: 13789
Location: io65ga, Donegal
Feedback: 8 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
gw8asd wrote:
G0UWK wrote:
I don't think they were that long Nigel,
Slightly over inflated gain (NEC reckoned it was close to a 17 ele tonna) if memory serves me and very heavy.
According to the instructions it was 2.8wl, something like just over 18ft long.
My mum still uses bits off my old un to support plants in her garden, Can’t fault the build quality however.
Specs when run through NEC apparently are as follows,
2.8wl, 12.6dbd with one of the world’s poorest f/b of only 13.6db.
Tony has the instructions here, might have sent them to him at some stage years ago as I still have the stuff in my filing cabinet.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10383&p=35088&hilit=parabeam#p35088

Rgds
I

Built like the proverbial brick **** *****. :D
Called a Parabeam, not a quargi.

I used one for a while, bought it NOS.
Box had been sealed for 30 years, or so, complete with instructions.
I still have the originals here.
Beautifully engineered but very heavy but the F/B wasn't helpful here.

Cheers

Tony



Would be ideal at this location as absolutely nothing comes through the back. :)

_________________
Even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.


Mon May 12, 2014 7:04 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 2432
Location: Kidsgrove, Stoke-on-Trent IO83VC
Feedback: 9 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
[quote="gw8asd[/quote]
Built like the proverbial brick **** *****. :D
Called a Parabeam, not a quargi.

Tony[/quote]

Also known as a "rotory dipole" due to what comes in off the back :shock:
I was constantly getting comments when calling "cq south" from people to the north :cry:

_________________
Building your own equipment is one of amateur radio's most satisfying elements.


Mon May 12, 2014 7:22 pm
Profile Send private message

 anyone know the gain on my jaybeam 
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 14139
Location: IO83lb, Wrexham
Feedback: 16 (100%)
Reply with quote
Post Re: anyone know the gain on my jaybeam
G0UWK wrote:
[quote="gw8asd

Built like the proverbial brick **** *****. :D
Called a Parabeam, not a quargi.

Tony[/quote]

Also known as a "rotory dipole" due to what comes in off the back :shock:
I was constantly getting comments when calling "cq south" from people to the north :cry:[/quote]
It wasn't good, but I don't remember it being quite that bad. :lol:

Cheers

Tony

_________________
50MHz and above from IO83lb


Mon May 12, 2014 7:27 pm
Profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.