It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Click the link below to visit the site sponsor

The Ham Radio Shop

6m F2 
Contributor 2017

Post 6m F2
A quick question for the more seasoned 6m operators on here.

The other evening, it might have been Tuesday, I noticed a fairly substantial number of cluster spots appearing for 6m, mainly US stations spotting the various Northern European beacons such as TF, OY, JW and even our own GB3LER.

I am fairly active during the summer months on 6m Sporadic E using my JRC JST-245 (150w) and an M2 6M5X, but I always take it off the mast during the winter months. I do this because of the lack of 6m activity, and to prevent damage in winter storms.

My question is - Is it finally time to throw caution to the wind (pun intended), and put the 6M5X back up on the mast?

What do you guys think, are we going to see much in the way of F2 propagation on 6m this winter? And will my modest 6m station cut it on 6m F2?
(I know this is a bit like weather forecasting, or picking lottery numbers, but your previous experiences at this point of a cycle would be appreciated)

Iain.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:22 pm
Profile Send private message

6m F2 
Advanced Member

Post Re: 6m F2
This should help :)

Solar Flux Expected Band Conditions
50 - 70 Bands above 40 meters unusable
70 - 90 Poor to fair propagation on 20 meters and below
90 - 120 Fair conditions up through 15 meters
120 - 150 Fair to good conditions on all bands up through 10 meters
150 - 200 Excellent conditions through 10 meters with openings on 6 meters
> 200 Reliable communications on all bands through 6 meters

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:52 pm

6m F2 

I don't take antennas down, on any band,
There has been tropo 2M and up plus, even forgetting the F2, there are often Winter ES on 4M, and 6M.
There's always the chance of TEP as well.
Although less likely as far North as you are. :D

It's the unexpected that makes VHF/UHF so interesting. :D

Cheers

Tony

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:00 am

6m F2 
Contributor 2017

Im a pretty active 6M operator,but thats only been for the last 5 years....Ive never yet worked anyone on the band via F2 so I cant wait to get into the first opening.. :)

Anyway,being a bit of a mad keen VHF dxer Ive been consulting others far more knowledgeable than me on the subject of 6M F2,and the general feeling seems to be surprise at the fact its not opened to our neck of the woods yet.

Dave G7RAU rang me up this week to say he was hearing UA6 video....no stations though.

I also noticed the OY beacon being spotted,and have you noticed that there have been a couple of long openings from the East coast of the States to the West Coast?.....I reckon its going to happen at some point before the end of the year,and if the aerial is not up,you are going to miss out!

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:02 am

6m F2 
Contributor 2017

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm aware of the solar flux numbers and what we should expect to see, but as with all forecasts, in reality they don't always tell the full story!

I only have one mast available at present Tony, and that's why I have to move antennas around to suit the band openings. It's only a little P30 and it currently hosts a Comet H-422 rotatable dipole which has been a pretty good performer on 10m and 15m. I rarely venture onto 40m and I have only made a handful of QSO's on 20m in the past few months, as I have been concentrating on the higher bands.

I think I'll take the dipole down and replace it with a 3 ele for 10m and a 5 ele for 6m so that I'm able to be on 6m should any f2 openings occur. And if there is any space left, I might even stick a 2m yagi on it as well.

And the HF situation will be resolved when I get round to installing a second mast (12m Tennamast) that I have been refurbishing.

I have noticed the East/West US openings Paul and it was those and the recent transatlantic opening which has prompted my question. I suppose I already knew the answer to my own question ... No antenna - No QSO's! :D

Thanks again.

Iain.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:47 am